Author Topic: GMA GraphicsEnabler features in Chameleon  (Read 67637 times)

JuiCe

• Entrant
Re: GMA GraphicsEnabler features in Chameleon
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 11:14:45 PM »
That did the trick on my troublesome HP nx7300 :)

And what's even cooler - external monitor is working!

Is there a way to get the "boot" file onto Empire EFI? Now i have to use an external monitor during install because of the laptop screen getting grey.

I've tried replacing cdboot file but it didn't do the trick.

Terc

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 06:35:54 AM »
Check out my mini project in the spinoffs section. It uses all the kexts from Empire EFI, and it includes the gma graphics enabler.  I'll eventually include instructions for us OSX users (And Linux users too!) for the time being though, it is strictly proof of concept, but should work well for a lot of users.

noromamai

• Entrant
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2010, 04:55:04 PM »
trying to install SL on a mini-itx board (Commell LV-679) that has a X3100 (0x2a12 0x0003). tried a lot of things, nothing has worked so far, came across this thread so i thought i'd give it a try.
the x3100 is recognized during boot, but there doesn't seem to be any change apart from that. still no QE/CI, still locked down to 1024x768 resolution. Perhaps it's becuase the board is rather complicated, it has 1xVGA, 2xDVI, 1xComposite and 1xLVDS out. Currently only using the DVI out.
If you need more info  to try and get this working let me know what.

stephens

• Entrant
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2010, 09:20:51 AM »
trying to install SL on a mini-itx board (Commell LV-679) that has a X3100 (0x2a12 0x0003). tried a lot of things, nothing has worked so far, came across this thread so i thought i'd give it a try.
the x3100 is recognized during boot, but there doesn't seem to be any change apart from that. still no QE/CI, still locked down to 1024x768 resolution. Perhaps it's becuase the board is rather complicated, it has 1xVGA, 2xDVI, 1xComposite and 1xLVDS out. Currently only using the DVI out.

Did you try hacking out the extra outputs from your DSDT.aml file, by chance?  That may force OS X to push the output to whatever channel you're currently using.

stephens

• Entrant
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2010, 10:35:14 AM »
Ok, so I've started working on adding GMA display detection to the GraphicsEnabler boot flag. All I have on me right now is mobile GMA950 which works fine. Other support added is desktop GMA950 and GMAX3100 which is only in laptops. One thing I'm interested in adding is support for the desktop equivalent of GMAX3100, which seems to be GMAX3000 and GMAX3500. i have yet to do some searching to see if anyone has attempted those at all.

I just wanted to drop a quick note to let you know that this fixed my install woes on a Dell Latitude D830, installing using Parted Magic and a Retail OS X DVD without another Mac in sight.  Originally, I was having issues with the broken screen, horizontal lines, or it was just blank on the LCD.  Now, with the patched boot and 'GraphicsEnabler'='Yes', it works like a champion!

The only caveat I found was that if I switch from the LCD as primary to the D-SUB/VGA output, it corrupts again, but I suspect that could be cured with some DSDT manipulation.

Thank you!!

HuntMike

• Entrant
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2010, 10:20:41 PM »
Hi, I'm hoping to try this on my Acer Aspire One netbook with GMA950.

What's  the best install method?

Do I need the device-properties string in my Boot.plist?

Will I still need to patch the intel Kext's?

andyvand

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 07:02:45 PM »
Use my version, I have an Acer Aspire One...
It needs patched framebuffer + accelerator kexts (for 0x27AE8086) to make it work.
Other than that it works great...

andyvand

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 07:05:21 PM »
Nawcom, 27ae mobile is not working for me. Leaving the patched framebuffer gives proper resolution but no qe/cl. However, I shared the patch with a desktop 2772 user and they reported the "built-in" injection did work for them.
My version includes 2 patched kexts + svn chameleon 2 which can do 27AE...
Follow the tutorial (in the text file) and it will work great for you...

18seven

• Observer
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2010, 10:59:52 PM »
Thanks Andy. I already have a 27ae patcher script I have been using for ages and dsm injection for "AAPL,HasPanel" enabling (I should have looked at the patch before posting, drrr).

noromamai

• Entrant
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2010, 05:09:17 PM »

Did you try hacking out the extra outputs from your DSDT.aml file, by chance?  That may force OS X to push the output to whatever channel you're currently using.

I can't find anything relating to the video output in the DSDT.aml file that I compiled. But maybe I just don't recognize it. I dont' have the file at hand here, I'll attach it when I get home. But even then, it should at least recognize the card and load the proper kext. I've added a GFX part to the DSDT with the right pciid to try and get it recognized. The System Info shows the name i put in the DSDT, but still doesn't load the X3100 kexts

I still very much want to run OS X on this little box, for now I have installed Windows7 on it (just to see what it is like, I skipped XP and Vista) with Boxee.

oldnapalm

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2010, 03:57:26 PM »
Hello guys,

which patched AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext is needed for 27ae? I tried with andyvand's one and got a blue screen for a second then got stuck in a black screen.

Acer Aspire One D250

0:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27ae] (rev 03)

Thanks.

Update: AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer works removing device PNLF but still no luck with AppleIntelGMA950.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 06:57:57 PM by oldnapalm »

noromamai

• Entrant
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2010, 06:30:09 PM »
Ok, had a look through the current dsdt.aml i am using, edited so many times, wasn't sure what i was using at the moment. the one i am using now doens't have the manually added GFX part to tell os x what video card i am using. i can't find the parts that lists the outputs so i can't remove any. i've tried adding the GFX part and give it a different pciid to try and get os x to recognize the chipset and load the proper kexts, but that didn't work. i've also tried hexediting the kexts with my pciid, which didn't work either. anyways, i've included my dsdt fiel with this post, maybe i am just overlooking the output parts or someone can give me a suggestion on how to fix this. the GMA patch does recognize the chipset at boot (with or without the GFX patch in the DSDT.aml. and the GMA patch will always recognize the correct pciid, even after i changed it in the DSDT.aml), but os x doesn't do anything with it. i've tried all the options i could find on the net, but not once has os x loaded the X3100 kexts.

andyvand

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2010, 09:00:45 PM »
Ok, had a look through the current dsdt.aml i am using, edited so many times, wasn't sure what i was using at the moment. the one i am using now doens't have the manually added GFX part to tell os x what video card i am using. i can't find the parts that lists the outputs so i can't remove any. i've tried adding the GFX part and give it a different pciid to try and get os x to recognize the chipset and load the proper kexts, but that didn't work. i've also tried hexediting the kexts with my pciid, which didn't work either. anyways, i've included my dsdt fiel with this post, maybe i am just overlooking the output parts or someone can give me a suggestion on how to fix this. the GMA patch does recognize the chipset at boot (with or without the GFX patch in the DSDT.aml. and the GMA patch will always recognize the correct pciid, even after i changed it in the DSDT.aml), but os x doesn't do anything with it. i've tried all the options i could find on the net, but not once has os x loaded the X3100 kexts.
I could check and adapt for your card if you can get me an IORegistryExplorer save of your PC (.ioreg file).

andyvand

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2010, 09:11:36 PM »
Hello guys,

which patched AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext is needed for 27ae? I tried with andyvand's one and got a blue screen for a second then got stuck in a black screen.

Acer Aspire One D250

0:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27ae] (rev 03)

Thanks.

Update: AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer works removing device PNLF but still no luck with AppleIntelGMA950.
Don't use _DSM DTGP push for the devise in DSDT...
Use my version of chameleon and get the package from InsanelyMac / InfiniteMac forum.
Follow the tutorial exactly and make sure you use 10.6.2 version of SL...
Also if setting it as key doesn't want to work, try this:
under kernel boot arguments add:
GraphicsEnabler=Yes
If it is the same laptop as mine (The one with the Atheros 2b card) you can use my patched acpi version (attached)
This also labels the host bridge (HSTB) and System Management BUS (SBUS) and display out (EVGA) device, I added.
This also injects the pinconfigs for showing the audio device properties in System Profiler (from handcrafted codec verbs).
Also this shows the 0x27A68086 display in System Profiler (use new attached boot, below) and fully fixes display resolution because I added the card to 915resolution.c (for programmers: my branch, svn).
Also attached below is the 0x27AE8086 rev 3 VBIOS I dumped from my laptop...

oldnapalm

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2010, 11:34:55 PM »
I tried with this new boot and GraphicsEnabler=Yes in kernel flags but still no luck. It doesn't show the GUI, the boot screen is in native resolution, then the screen turns gray, then blue, then black and system freezes. The only change I have made do DSDT was adding device PNLF under (_SB) scope.

Could you provide a diff from your original DSDT? Mine is different.

Do you have working audio and wifi?

Thank you.