overdue-scratch

Author Topic: EHCI & OHCI fixes for ION platform  (Read 9612 times)

shoarthing

• Entrant
EHCI & OHCI fixes for ION platform
« on: August 04, 2009, 04:07:03 PM »
Hi - I am trying to get a new Asrock 'NetTop' ION 330  Atom/MCP79 system working, using Chameleon RC2 v640 & vanilla Leopard 10.5.7

The machine is a teeny little prebuilt box with an external PSU brick: only IO is through 6x USB2 sockets & a Gbit Ethernet port.

. .  so it is really important that USB2 works, & it doesn't

The latest AMI BIOS has only one USB feature: disable/enable USB2

. . . ie it does *not* have enable/disable 'Legacy USB' nor does it have any setting for "EHCI Handoff' . .  I have looked inside the BIOS with AMI tools & other USB features are simply not present [ie are not hidden options].

OSX loads fine; but with typical error-messages from AppleUSBEHCI of:

'unable to initialize UIM' & 'could not get chip to halt within 100ms' . . . the result is no USB2 in OSX.

Neither of the USB settings in Chameleon's 'apple.com.boot.plist' do anything to help with the obvious hassle with OHCI > EHCI handoff: I have tried them in all combinations, through several clean OS installs.

Please can the wonderfully able developers here consider what could or might be done to optimise Chameleon to help here? . . . I think the ION/Atom 330 platform is likely to be very popular for OSX86, & all their BIOS' & BIOS features are likely to be similarly limited.

[Edit] Obviously hacked/recompiled USBEHCI  kexts  - & I think I have tried all of 'em - don't work.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 04:15:16 PM by shoarthing »

uman

• Observer
Re: EHCI & OHCI fixes for ION platform
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 08:03:23 PM »
Have you tried pinpointing the issue using Apple's USB debug kexts?

http://developer.apple.com/hardwaredrivers/download/usbdebug.html

shoarthing

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 05:59:32 AM »
 . . . thank you *very* much: I didn't know about this resource.

Took 10 minutes to pinpoint issue . . . any "Low-Speed" device on the bus at handoff/initialisation buggered things.

. .  & wouldn't you guess it?  . . .  the Low-Speed device in question [a mouse] was made by none other than the Microsoft Corporation :)

eyvind

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 06:28:03 AM »
Interesting - i have exactly the same problem - you have AppleHPET and intelcpupm enabled?
My new notebook:
MSI X-340, Slim as an Air
2 GB Ram, Intel 723 ULV processor (SSE3 capable), Intel 4500MHD Graphics
Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Ubuntu 9.10 64bit, Currently installing Snow Leopard Vanilla, BackTrack
Currently installing Snow Leopard Vanilla, BackTrack

Signal64

• Observer
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 09:45:12 AM »
Just for fyi purposes - mcp79 (cousin to ion) based boards with AMI Bios's share the same issues.

shoarthing

• Entrant
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 09:54:37 PM »
 . .  an answer which works well, tho' not quite perfectly, is to nag the maker of your mobo to provide a BIOS with the feature for Legacy USB:

Code: [Select]
BIOS Setup only
[also works on my mobo to bring up a boot menu using its function key] - snag (obv) is that the keyboard doesn't work until OSX is running, so no passing params to the kernel via Chameleon

Signal64

• Observer
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 01:55:09 AM »
If the handoff works in Windows then there isn't much hope of the manufacture to enable/change it.  You can try but good luck (I've been down that route several times).

You can try my experimental patch here which should do the trick for your board.
http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,866.0.html
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 02:20:46 AM by Signal64 »