overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Chameleon & OSx86 Wishes  (Read 2904 times)

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
Chameleon & OSx86 Wishes
« on: December 29, 2009, 07:57:42 PM »
Supposing we were all really good boys/girls this year, what would you like to get from SantaHackClauss? What would you like to see coming in the OSx86 sphere?

I'd like to see:

Developers coming together instead of acting like a bunch of girlies arguing over the new Hello Kitty box. Some are here since the beginning, some came later, so what? No one is better than everyone so let's get our efforts together and start doing instead of calling names. We need the kind help of everyone able to contribute a line of code or a paragraph of documentation. We have no obligation whatsoever to deliver new releases every week or so just because people ask for them. We can deliver every time we see fit, focusing on quality over "newness".

What are you wishing for?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 08:02:04 PM by rocksteady »
Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives

Terc

• Forum Moderator
Re: Chameleon & OSx86 Wishes
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 11:45:11 PM »
I just found a way to make bootable Chameleon based usb drives from Windows - with free software only.  All point and click :)

I hope someone out there picks it up and helps make a nice generic one that works on most hardware with me.  Oh, and you can use the same method to store a copy of your retail OSX disk on a USB key as well.  (although I'd still love to see someone solve the boot from HDD -> DVD issue, but that's for another day.

I'll upload an example file tonight assuming I get my security reports finished up before I'm too tired.

staticanime

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 12:55:46 AM »
@Terc - This sounds mighty interesting, look forward to hearing more about it, as it might help a lot of people who can't get access to a real mac to prepare a USB installer. Will be great for the netbook community too :P

Terc

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 04:34:58 PM »
Ug, work kept me busy all night.  Now I'm back at work... I promise I'll get something posted this weekend.  I'd still love to find a way to use the actual retail dvd when booting from a hard drive/usb.  That would make this solution perfect.  At that point, maybe Empire EFI would be willing to make a release for USB only.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 04:38:12 PM by Terc »

badbpy07

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 07:42:16 AM »
I hope the Chameleon bootloader supports GMA900 integrated display, when displaying boot selection GUI.
Right now, my Snow Leopard installation using Chameleon stopped at a blank screen and "input not supported" message from the monitor.

Terc

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 04:09:51 PM »
I started working on the first version of the free usb key creator for Windows last night.  I'm not touching the software used to create it, just picking out kexts and such that should be compatible with most boards.  Maybe I should just grab the stuff in Empire EFI and call it a day.