Author Topic: Moving from OS X Partition to EFI Partition  (Read 4702 times)

fasteight

• Entrant
Moving from OS X Partition to EFI Partition
« on: January 09, 2010, 06:30:56 AM »
I have everything working fine now with Chameleon on the OS X Partition. If I wanted to move everything over to the EFI Partition, how do you remove the boot0 and boot1h files from the OS X Partition? How do you view/find those files in Terminal?

And if you move everything but those two files, would it even matter?

Thanks for any help.

staticanime

Re: Moving from OS X Partition to EFI Partition
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 06:12:59 PM »
I have everything working fine now with Chameleon on the OS X Partition. If I wanted to move everything over to the EFI Partition, how do you remove the boot0 and boot1h files from the OS X Partition? How do you view/find those files in Terminal?

And if you move everything but those two files, would it even matter?

Thanks for any help.

You don't have to move anything. Just install boot1h to the EFI partition, and copy boot into it, along with your /Extras folder, then set the efi partitino active with fdisk, job done

fasteight

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 10:43:53 PM »
Thanks for the reply...for curiosity's sake how do I view those files? I've searched and searched and aside from something about them being someplace you wouldn't normally look, I can't find much info about them.

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 05:02:44 AM »
If you want to view hidden files in the Finder you run Terminal and type..

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

Replace TRUE with FALSE when you're done.

Anyway all files are visible from Terminal without typing this command, which is where you should be working from anyway! Conquer your fears  ;)

Follow my guide elsewhere here in the forum (search my previous posts or find the link in the FAQ) to learn how to install Chameleon to the EFI partition.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 04:56:19 AM by Gringo Vermelho »
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

frnzk

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 12:40:13 AM »
for curiosity's sake how do I view those files?

Depends on which files you're talking about.

boot (and the Extra folder) is located at the root of the active partition (usually osx's root/system parition (but can  also be EFI, obviously)).  It might be invisible, if so, you can do what the post above me suggest or you can use terminal to make it visible: "sudo SetFile -a v /boot" [You might need Apple's xcode and friends installed to have the SetFile binary; I don't remember.]

boot0 isn't really a file once it's installed, it's the mbr's boot program.  To "see" it you can make terminal dump out your mbr: "sudo dd if=/dev/disk0 of=/Users/youraccountname/Desktop/mbr count=1" [the command assumes the disk with the bootloader on it is disk0 which should be true, but you can check with "diskutil list"]. But unless you know how to read hex as x68 assembly and know how mbr part tables are formated, there's not a lot to see.

Likewise, boot1h is located at the top of the active partition and isn't anywhere in the filesystem (though I suppose someone could write a fuse module to display it, it'd be rather pointless).  Assuming your OSX partition is the 2nd one (EFI being the first) you can extract it via "sudo dd if=/dev/disk0s2 of=/Users/yourname/Desktop/wtfisthis count=2".  However, just like boot0, it's pretty pointless (when reinstalling, do so from the chameleon release not extracted files).
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 12:45:22 AM by frnzk »

fasteight

• Entrant
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 02:14:12 AM »
I had a feeling that the boot0 and boot1h weren't regular old files. I'll just leave them alone as it's all way over my head.

And Gringo, it was your guide that got me thinking about all this in the first place. I'm not afraid to use Terminal...I just don't know what I'm doing there 90% of the time, so I spend a lot of time trying to understand what's being done. I've already did an install where I just blindly followed your guide and it worked just fine, but then I got to thinking about why it worked and the advantages of using the EFI partition etc. Which got me to wondering about leaving the boot0 and boot1h files there after I had changed them.

Thanks again for all the help.