Author Topic: Chameleon Hiding on my Win7 disk?  (Read 2484 times)

gebet

• Entrant
Chameleon Hiding on my Win7 disk?
« on: May 15, 2011, 04:29:32 PM »
Please help.

I installed many many times (over 10 times) Snow Leopard and followed many instructions I found on the net to install Chameleon.

I also installed it using MultiBeast.

I have the following configuration:
  • Disk 0 :
    • System Reserved Partition
    • Windows 7 NTFS
  • Disk 1 :
    • EFI
    • HFS Mac OS X
  • Disk 2 :
    • NTFS Data Partition
  • Disk 3 :
    • NTFS Data Partition
  • Disk 4 : USB External
    • NTFS

During a few of the installations I installed SL with all other drives physically unplugged and the MacOSX one in first place. I still could not get Chameleon installed - manually or automatically through Multibeast - the system kept crashing with panic etc. I did not understand very well all that and did not resolve or debug the kernel panic. So at one stage I connected all my drives in the config shown above. Then tried another few installs f SL.

Somehow, I have no idea when and how, I installed Chameleon on my first drive, i.e. my Win7 NTFS drive.
If I now disconnect all my drives but Drive 0 (as per the list above), I get the EasyBCD boot menu allowing me to boot Win or MacOX. If I choose Mac OS, I get the Chameleon boot loader.

WHERE IS IT? I could not find it anywhere, neither as a hidden file nor as a normal directory/files.

The problem is that it can only successfully boot/load the MacOS partition with SL if it is the LAST ONE. However, the USB drive is the last partition and now even if I press F8 and choose manually the MacOS option, the system just restarts.

Can anyone please help with this?

All I want is dual boot - Win 7 / Mac OS X

I am quite happy of the boot manager is Chameleon, as long as  have this functionality. 99.99% of any posts on the net only deal with several partitions on the same drive and that drive is invariably the first one...

So please:
  • where is the Chameleon hiding?
  • can I configure it to ignore the USB drive(s) so that the MacOSX is booted correctly?
  • can I remove it and boot from a different installation of the Chameleon from a different partition on the MacOSX drive?

Many thanks, 
n00b

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
Re: Chameleon Hiding on my Win7 disk?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 08:47:58 PM »

I'm sure there is a better way to get exactly what you want but until then here's how to restore the Windows 7 bootloader:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,109.msg9900.html#msg9900

Keep in mind that if you boot Windows 7 using Chameleon installed to a different hard drive than Windows, Windows 7 will not hibernate.
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131