Author Topic: [SOLVED] Uninstall Chameleon ?  (Read 67279 times)

ilium007

• Entrant
[SOLVED] Uninstall Chameleon ?
« on: April 13, 2009, 03:26:48 AM »
I managed to brick my Wind today ( OS X 10.5.6 ). I installed Chameleon 2 played around with it for a bit, worked out that I could not return from hibernate and then tried to install the V9 EFI bootloader over the top and then hats where all my trouble started. The machine would boot and then just turn off.

Lucky I had a full drive backup and it was relatively painless to get back, but DO NOT install this unless you are sure you want it at the moment - you CANT uninstall.

Moderator Edit: Triplicate topics merged.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 03:43:50 PM by rocksteady »

mackerintel

• VoodooLabs
Re: Uninstall Chameleon ?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 12:57:04 AM »
ilium007: It seems that you don't understand how bootloader works: you don't uninstall it. If you don't like a bootloader put another on top of it but one bootloader should always be present

decoy4000

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 11:22:10 AM »
Hi,

I installed Chameleon to get OS X on a Lenovo S10.
After the install (Latest OS X Installer) I clearly realized I am not clued up enough to do this.

How Can I remove Chameleon from my system?

thanks

andiroo

• Entrant
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 06:43:34 AM »
Where can I find instructions for uninstalling the Chameleon bootloader 2.0RC?  My system stopped sleeping after installing, and sleep is more important than a snazzy boot for me.  Thanks!

Terc

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 03:49:16 PM »
Install your old boot loader again.

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 11:58:44 PM »
Or look inside the installer package with Pacifist to see what Chameleon installs and to where.

10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

homesnake

• Entrant
Re: [SOLVED] Uninstall Chameleon ?
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 04:44:36 AM »
OK being a newb I installed this and then discovered that I couldn't boot my separate XP drive due to chameleon not supporting that feature (yet?) - so as mentioned above you always need a bootloader of some kind in your root directory - I simply launched time machine and went back to the day before I installed Chameleon and restored the "boot" file which shows up in time machine (neato!) - fixed permissions and all is well. No need to restore your whole partition or drive.

I will try it again with the next release, hoping they will have the XP feature working - very cool otherwise

jobyabraham1983

• Entrant
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 08:11:19 AM »
For removing Chameleon from your system please execute "sudo fdisk -f boot1h -u -y /dev/rdisk0"
in my case it worked.

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
That command writes the stage 1 boot file (boot1h) to the MBR of your drive in location /dev/disk0.
This is not a wise thing to do as that disk will no longer be bootable.
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

spalek83

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 08:15:02 PM »
seeing as how it's a wind.. windows install dvd to the rescue!!!
Quote from: http://www.heiser.net/posts/3256
How to restore WINDOWS BOOTLOADER on a PC

1~Reconfigure your BIOS to boot from the DVD first and then the Win7 drive

2~Boot the machine from the Win7 DVD

3~After the language select screen, choose "Repair your computer" from the lower left

4~The system will not find any installations. This is okay, click the top radio button and hit Next

5~You'll see a list of "System Recovery Options". Open up the Command Prompt

6~Try typing the following commands in order: "bootrec /fixmbr", "bootrec /fixboot", "bootrec /rebuildbcd". If these complete successfully, go ahead and skip the next step. However, if any of these steps reports "Element cannot be found" you need to reconfigure the disk configuration.

7~You're going to use DISKPART to make the Win7 partition active. You can type "HELP" for a list of commands or check out  Microsoft's help page. Basically you select the drive first ("LIST DRIVES" and then "SELECT DRIVE [number]") and then the partition ("LIST PARTITION" and then "SELECT PARTITION [number]") where Win7 is installed. Then type "ACTIVE" to make the selected partition active. Once this is finished, repeat the previous step.

8~With the bootloader now created, we need to let Win7 configure it. Restart and boot from the DVD again, and choose the same repair option as before. Now you should see your Win7 installation listed. Allow the installer to repair the system.

~You may have to repeat this step once or twice, but eventually the bootloader will be fixed and your machine will work again!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 05:27:03 AM by spalek83 »
10.7 + Win 7 + Ubuntu
SyncMaster 2433BW ~ GA-P55M-UD4 ~ i7 860 ~ GTS 250 ~ SAMSUNG HD103UJ/1TB