Author Topic: Terc's Project (In Progress)  (Read 8896 times)

Terc

• Forum Moderator
Terc's Project (In Progress)
« on: January 13, 2010, 09:46:36 PM »
I have a little project I put together... You know, for anyone with a computer (Any OS!)

It gives most anyone a very simple way to build a hackintosh if they have:
 1: Access to a Windows XP, Vista, 7, (and maybe 2000 or others... untested)
   OR
 1: Access to Linux
   OR
 1: Access to a Mac

2: Two USB Flash devices (One must be 8GB+ and one must be 64MB+)

3: A Snow Leopard Retail DVD

4: Able to boot their Hackintosh-to-be from a USB key

5: Somewhat compatible hardware.

The problem is, I'd like to put it up here on voodooprojects, since almost everything that makes it work comes from these forums.  But I don't want it cluttering up Chameleon, or any other project boards.

Title Edit for sanity. Terc, edit this thread to fit your hearts content or even drop it and start a new one @SpinOff projects.  :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 01:48:52 PM by rocksteady »

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
Re: Can we get a general OSX86 discussion Board here too?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 10:14:20 PM »
We're discussing forum organisation + enhancement these days

A general osx86 discussion board is not a bad idea in itself but we'll need some more true-school ninjas to keep quality resident.

Feel free to start your project here Terc till we decide about the forum's layout.
Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives

Terc

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 08:57:16 PM »
Thanks!

I'll post the proof of concept tonight.  I can't promise anything other than it will boot to Chameleon, but hey, it's a start.  (I'm expecting it'll be a bit better than that).

I'm envisioning something that makes the process as dead simple as quickpwn is for the iPhone/iPod Touch.
For now, it's pretty unexciting.

Terc

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 05:45:35 AM »
Bah.  Today I reproduced an error I'd heard people mention before.  "can't find mach kernel"
I've booted from my chameleon usb drive a million times, on several different builds.  But tonight, I can't get it to see the kernel on my laptop.  Finds it just fine when booting from my internal partition...

Anyhow, I'm going to include the BROKEN image anyways.  Look at this as nothing other than proof that you can create a chameleon usb bootloader from windows.  More to come.

From Windows
Steps:
1. Download http://www.mediafire.com/file/zwq0jmmwyiy/USB Chameleon.zip and extract
2. Insert USB Key
3. Launch DiskImager.exe and select the USB Chameleon.img file, your usb drive letter, click "Write"
4. Reboot, and select your USB flash drive from the boot menu.

Enjoy :)

Update: New link.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 02:52:41 PM by Terc »

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 04:38:10 PM »
did the setup on your stick stay untouched? RC4? did you update to the new boot0/boot1h that came with RC4?

get down on it and nail it :)

↓ Kinda confused your project with static's. so you're using nawcom's boot, sweet :), wish I had a netbook around to test it too.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 04:57:42 PM by rocksteady »

Terc

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 04:48:33 PM »
I actually included the RC4 with GMA injection (thinking I'll give people video accel if possible)

There have been lots of changes from the default Chameleon. Theme, boot.plist, smbios, and I added the kexts from EmpireEFI.  The end goal is to get a usb stick that will boot OSX on as many hardware profiles as possible.  Just enough to get them into the OS so they can get going.

Thinking back, it's probably just a boot issue on the laptop (I have installed chameleon on the internal disk, so maybe the wrong partition is blessed?)

Anyways, prasys took a look at it today and offered a couple good suggestions.  v.02 will be using fat16.  Not sure why I didn't do this for the first try!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 04:51:38 PM by Terc »

Terc

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 12:29:28 AM »
MMM Just got my T60 working 100% (power management, wifi, sound, sleep, brightness control, pcmcia slot, I mean everything)

So... I should be spending a bit more time with this usb project now :)
Also, just put my two week notice in today!  I'm starting at an and upcoming IT consulting firm at the beginning of Feb!  It's what I've always wanted to do, and now I'm finally making it happen!

Lord Anubis

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 07:51:54 AM »
We're discussing forum organisation + enhancement these days

A general osx86 discussion board is not a bad idea in itself but we'll need some more true-school ninjas to keep quality resident

actualy, I do hope not. This is a chameleon forum, there are enough info on other forums. The main issue is, that people have to read!!! They dont even read now and are asking open door questions. A lot of time will be wasted.

Also, the chameleon team, even doesn't have time to update there original pearls with submitted patches. Or to openup is the prommised cvs. Please keep focused on the core bussines.
Quicksilver 2002 Case - GB EP45-DS3P - 8Gb Kingston mem. - Q6600 - Asus 7300GT Silent 512Mb - 6 SATA drives - 1 IDE drives ( using F12/Chameleon for booting, not visible in OSX ) - 1 external Sata Samsung DVD - OSX 10.6.8 server retail - Chameleon 2.0RC1 + Cartri Bios

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 10:30:52 AM »
Also, the chameleon team, even doesn't have time to update there original pearls with submitted patches. Or to openup is the prommised cvs. Please keep focused on the core bussines.
Hi Lord

Things are changing
http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 03:53:09 PM »
LA: don't worry about that, should have been clearer, I mean that we'll probably open a new subforum for projects like Terc's. No, for god's shake we don't need another general osx86 forum.

Terc: sorry for the mess here, I'll clean up as soon as we're done with the infrastructure updates. Promise. Congrats for your new job :)

Lord Anubis

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 07:39:52 PM »
rocksteady and Blackosx

thanks for the info, this is cool!
Quicksilver 2002 Case - GB EP45-DS3P - 8Gb Kingston mem. - Q6600 - Asus 7300GT Silent 512Mb - 6 SATA drives - 1 IDE drives ( using F12/Chameleon for booting, not visible in OSX ) - 1 external Sata Samsung DVD - OSX 10.6.8 server retail - Chameleon 2.0RC1 + Cartri Bios

Terc

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 10:33:47 PM »
WOW!
  :o

Loving the new look.  MUCH easier to read.  And happy the forum is back online too.  :D

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 12:56:27 AM »
Hola Terc

Makes reading easier for me too (hopefully I'll be able to spot more of my typos :P)

About your project, create a fresh new thread under Spin-Off projects if you've come up with a funky name already, or feel free to edit this one's title and I'll clean it up for you. Whatever suits you best.

Cheers!

Terc

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 03:22:58 AM »
Hmm.  How's BootFruit sound? :)

Get it?  Huh? Huh?  It "boots" osx...  Yeah, I'm terrible, I know.

Thinking about a boot kicking an apple.  (not the actual apple logo of course)

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 12:27:56 AM »
I remember a icon of a boot kicking a Mac/SE back in the A/UX days (iirc it was called just "Boot" or "Booter")

StartHack... HackStart...

Will take some brainstorming...Where's Gringo? BeerBoot, iBeer, KickBeer  :D