Author Topic: Chameleon 2 Install Suddenly Dies  (Read 3366 times)

FlatFootFox

• Entrant
Chameleon 2 Install Suddenly Dies
« on: January 14, 2010, 04:45:12 PM »
Hi there, sorry to be the n00b who only posts when something goes wrong, but...

I had a working install of Chameleon 2.0-RC4 on my HP Mini 110 netbook.  It was set up to triple boot OS X, Windows 7, and Ubuntu 9.10 (Grub 1 and Ext3), along with a large FAT32 share between all the OSes.  This setup was working for an entire month, but last night when I restarted my laptop to go from one OS into the other, Chameleon stopped coming up at all.

When I start the system up, it usually shows a / in the top left screen, sometimes a _ which quickly changes into a /, then it hangs.  I've tried reinstalling Chameleon, and that does not fix the problem.  I've also renamed my /Extra folder in case something in the theme I was using screwed it up, that also did not work.

I'm not sure where to go from here.  I've installed Grub for the time being so that I can get into Ubuntu and Windows, but I did most of my work on OS X.  Does anyone know how to fix a problem like this...?  Or even boot into OS X using Grub 1 without chainloading?

Thanks for any help you guys might have!

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
Re: Chameleon 2 Install Suddenly Dies
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 04:56:03 PM »
Hi FlatFootFox

Sounds like you had a nice setup there. So it just stopped working?
What procedure have you used to re-install Chameleon?
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 05:28:41 PM »
When I start the system up, it usually shows a / in the top left screen, sometimes a _ which quickly changes into a /, then it hangs.  I've tried reinstalling Chameleon, and that does not fix the problem.  I've also renamed my /Extra folder in case something in the theme I was using screwed it up, that also did not work.

Can you boot into a resuce system somehow then run an fsck on your Mac OS partition?
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

FlatFootFox

• Entrant
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 06:13:25 AM »
My netbook doesn't have a DVD drive, but I've got the iDeneb 1.3 disk written to a bootable USB Thumb Drive.  I put the Chameleon files onto it as well, so to install it I fire up a terminal and run:

sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2
sudo cp boot / [I actually change this to /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X to make it copy to the hard drive]

I can run fsck off of the thumb drive as well, but I'm afraid I don't really know wat specific commands to do ^^;

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 02:46:46 PM »
I can run fsck off of the thumb drive as well, but I'm afraid I don't really know wat specific commands to do ^^;
Hi FlatFootFox
You can try something like

/sbin/fsck -fy
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB