overdue-scratch

Author Topic: [TO CHAMELEON SQUAD] Possible FIXES for major RC4 issues. GraphicsEnabler etc  (Read 7607 times)

iHack13

• Entrant
hi there guys!
hi also to IRC atm . a3Dman stfu :D and goodnight to prasys who just went to bed.

whatever..

This (possible) guide/explanation goes to everyone who experiences

-non working Graphics with GraphicsEnabler ( Black Screen )
-guys who have trouble with PciRoot
-guys who have trouble with the new 10.6.2 Graphic kexts , even with injectors or EFI string and therefore need to go back to 10.6.1 kexts

So today I experienced something on my laptop which may help a lot of guys... (I couldnt test it on other machines , because I only have this lappy atm.. Bad start I know...)

Prior to all of this I was using NVEnabler from Krazubu fassl and turbo , in the fassl edition which has no display-cfg. That was the only way to get it work on 10.6.2.

GraphicsEnabler never worked for me. NVEnabler (default) worked for me up to 10.6.1 . And for 10.6.2 I needed the NVEnabler without display-cfg (which acts a bit weird at startup).

So all of this began with the PciRoot phenomenon.
I know that I have 0 , but Chameleon never found my PciRoot . You can observe that for half a sec in the beginning when you are booting up your OSX Install.

I tried PciRoot=1 as bootflag, and all the stuff via Boot.plist.. it just didnt help.

Then I was comparing my DSDT with the one from my friend Pere, who had working stuff. He searched out the adress for the Root which was called "_ADR".
His PciRoot, which is also 0 is called "_UID" in the DSDT.

He told me to try editing DSDT to 1 and such , but it really didnt help anything.

So I asked myself if its the name of the Root adress, which confuses Chameleon to find the value 0 or 1.

I didnt care much about it to be honest, since I dont find my ideas very enlighting for most of the times.
I also told Pere about my idea, but today he convinced me to try replacing the Name for the Root adress.

So I replaced "_ADR" with "_UID" and kept the 0x00.

I rebooted and it worked ! Didnt see any PciRoot not found at bootup.
So I went one step further and removed my injector to see if I can boot vesa. Rebooted, shitty graphics.. good.

Then I booted up with GraphicsEnabler=Yes bootflag and BAAM!! QE CI everything working!

So my shout to everyone. I think there is a possibility that Chameleon doesnt find your PciRoot, although the value 0/1 maybe correct. Try to change the "name" of your PciRoot in DSDT to some mainstream"name" which Chameleon already knows. e.g. _UID . If it finds the PciRoot then there shouldnt be any problem to finally get the GraphicsEnabler option work!

Same goes for Ethernet and all the options.
I really like Chameleon and I'm proud trying to contribute something.

edit: The location in DSDT looks like this

old "unknown" PciRoot 0
Code: [Select]
        Device (PCI0)
        {
            Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0A08"))
            Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0A03"))
            Name (_ADR, 0x00)
            Name (_BBN, 0x00)

new Mainstream PciRoot 0

Device (PCI0)
        {
            Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0A08"))
            Name (_CID, EisaId ("PNP0A03"))
            Name (_UID, 0x00)
            Name (_BBN, 0x00)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 08:42:37 PM by iHack13 »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
So I replaced "_ADR" with "_UID" and kept the 0x00.
Thanks for the tip iHack13. It could prove useful for anyone with the same issues.
Could you provide details of the make and model of your laptop please?

So just to confirm:
Was the DSDT you were using an original one from your motherboard you grabbed yourself from either a acpidump in linux or maybe ACPIpatcher by koalala?

I ask as in my original Gigabyte DSDT Device (PCI0) by default has both _UID and _ADR
        Device (PCI0)
        {
            Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0A03"))
            Name (_ADR, 0x00)
            Name (_UID, 0x01)
            Name (_BBN, 0x00)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 03:37:02 PM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

iHack13

• Entrant
hi black,

my lappy is a BenQ Joybook R55V with phoenix Bios.

I wrote a guide over on insanelymac . http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=207635

The thing is , _ADR may be obsolete. There are even DSDTs which lack _ADR and _UID. So the only important thing is, to have a _UID in the DSDT with the specific PCI Root value.

My DSDT is a dump within osx via iasl.

18seven

• Observer
ADR and UID are not the same. Did you try adding the optional UID object to the existing object list?

prasys

• Entrant
I think he did afaik. I am not sure , but it would be good for chameleon to include it for those stubborn motherboard which lacks of it