overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Chameleon 2 "NBI" and Atom processor support  (Read 4757 times)

diamondsw

• Observer
Chameleon 2 "NBI" and Atom processor support
« on: April 01, 2010, 01:30:09 AM »
Good afternoon. As we're likely all aware, Apple removed the Atom codepath from the kernel in Mac OS X 10.6.2. For the 10.6.2 release, a binpatched kernel was made that substituted the Core Solo codepath, and this worked relatively well. With 10.6.3 out and no binpatched kernel, this has become more of an issue. Meklort's work on NetBookInstaller includes many customizations and enhancements to Chameleon specific to netbooks.

Two of these of particular interest to me are:
  • Support for Atom-based systems with a vanilla kernel, and this 10.6.3
  • Support for the native 1024x600 resolution of many netbooks at the Chameleon prompt (no more 800x600 stretched graphics)
I've also tested this fork of Chameleon on both a 10.6.2 system and 10.6.3 system both with vanilla kernels, and it works perfectly. There do not appear to be any kernel-specific dependencies (unless he's coded in one for each kernel).

Consider this my impassioned request to integrate the appropriate changes made by Meklort into the mainline Chameleon source (if they're not there already and they meet code quality standards). Right now this fork of Chameleon is the only way for anyone with an Atom to run Mac OS X 10.6.3.

Infected24

• Entrant
Re: Chameleon 2 "NBI" and Atom processor support
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 11:50:46 PM »
Good afternoon. As we're likely all aware, Apple removed the Atom codepath from the kernel in Mac OS X 10.6.2. For the 10.6.2 release, a binpatched kernel was made that substituted the Core Solo codepath, and this worked relatively well. With 10.6.3 out and no binpatched kernel, this has become more of an issue. Meklort's work on NetBookInstaller includes many customizations and enhancements to Chameleon specific to netbooks.

Two of these of particular interest to me are:
  • Support for Atom-based systems with a vanilla kernel, and this 10.6.3
  • Support for the native 1024x600 resolution of many netbooks at the Chameleon prompt (no more 800x600 stretched graphics)
I've also tested this fork of Chameleon on both a 10.6.2 system and 10.6.3 system both with vanilla kernels, and it works perfectly. There do not appear to be any kernel-specific dependencies (unless he's coded in one for each kernel).

Consider this my impassioned request to integrate the appropriate changes made by Meklort into the mainline Chameleon source (if they're not there already and they meet code quality standards). Right now this fork of Chameleon is the only way for anyone with an Atom to run Mac OS X 10.6.3.

Wrong, there is a patched kernel for 10.6.3 released by teateam. Using it you can boot using the usual non-forked Chameleon.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=197020&st=0

Cheers.