Author Topic: [Theme] DType - Stylistically Simple  (Read 56321 times)

Enzo

• Resident
[Theme] DType - Stylistically Simple
« on: February 09, 2010, 02:19:55 PM »

A simple theme I created for myself, with some minimalist eye candy, now uploading for anyone who might enjoy it. Inspired by a great psdtut, with a few modifed icons, and others built from scratch. I dual boot OS X and Win7, so I apologize if any of the other icons look rushed.

Things to Note:
  • Pictured here are only Photoshop representations, and it may look a tad different during boot (Most notably, the red). This is because calibrated color profiles within the OS are not loaded by Chameleon, though simple adjustments were made for consistency reasons and to counter the washed out look I noticed in the few monitors I tested.
  • I think it looks better during boot... So just try it! =P
  • Theme is configured for a resolution of 1680x1050. It scales well since there is no background image, though you may want to edit it for your monitor's native res.

Installation Instructions:
  • To Install, copy the extracted "DType" folder to your /Extra/Themes/ directory, then just add or change the following key-string: In your com.apple.boot.plist (Located in /Extra)
    <key>Theme</key>
    <string>THEME_NAME</string> (In this case, DType)
  • Another tip: You can hide the Chameleon2 output in the top left corner by adding this key-string: In the same com.apple.boot.plist:
    <key>Boot Banner</key>
    <string>No</string>
  • It is preferable to run it at your monitor's native res. To do so, edit the following keys-strings in theme.plist (located inside the theme folder) to reflect your desired res:
    <key>screen_width</key>
    <string>1680</string>
    <key>screen_height</key>
    <string>1050</string>
  • If things look off/stretched/cropped in your monitor, despite setting the correct res, it could be that you are using a non-vesa res or one not supported by your graphics card. See here for more: Chameleon Res Tip

Optional Customization:
  • The Logo pictured includes the sub-text "or press any key for Win7" which is not set by default. There are 3 alternate logos included, the one seen here in the previews, and two others reading "Mac Installer" (for your usb/cd installers) and "Chameleon 2." The Ubuntu icon is also an alternate.
  • If you'd like to use it without a logo, simple replace logo.png with a blank image, such as the included background.png
  • If you have a specific request, just let me know here, or via a pm.
  • The logo may be too big for smaller resolutions, such as those in Netbooks. Try these: DType Logos - For Netbooks They are more efficiently cropped and downsized a bit.
  • If you use the console within the Cham2 UI a lot, I recommend creating a font file that suits you best. You can create a font file here: FontMaker App by Cizko. I used the font: Futura BT-Light. You can specify any color you want, as well as size too. One example: using a font without All Caps. Then just simply rename the downloaded png file to font_console.png and replace it in the theme folder.

Thanks to cizko for his great Fontmaker App
A big thanks to Blackosx for his fantastic guides.
This theme supports Lizard app by Sonotone.
Now @ Version 1.3 with further icon/text tweaks & ALL CAPS + fixes.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 03:29:26 AM by Enzo »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
Re: [Theme] DType - Stylistically Simple
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 03:05:14 PM »
Enzo,

Welcome to the theme scene and that looks absolutely fantastic.

Great job ;)
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

cumbaya19

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 12:40:26 AM »
For some reason, mine still reverts back to the regular boot screen and not yours. Nice theme though

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 01:12:37 AM »
For some reason, mine still reverts back to the regular boot screen and not yours. Nice theme though
and it is enabled properly through com.apple.boot.plist in /Extra? Perhaps a spelling mistake in the string?
Otherwise it's rather odd.

On my to do list: A general, alternate Linux icon.
EDIT: Done, Hard to do just an outline of a penguin =P
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 03:49:06 AM by Enzo »

cumbaya19

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 08:35:24 AM »
I'm confused. does this theme replace the grey apple screen when booting into snow leopard? like after i select osx, does another custom screen come up? if so, what should I edit/

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 09:38:57 AM »
As far as I know, the only thing that you can change from that loading screen is the apple icon in the center. This theme does replace it, with a black apple icon, same as in these previews. No other aspect can really be changed, though it is possible to make the single image big enough to take up the whole screen, so as to appear completely different.

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 03:11:35 PM »
Woohoo a fellow minimalist  :)

Pure quality theme + description,

Welcome Enzo!
Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives

cumbaya19

• Entrant
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 07:26:28 PM »
Woohoo a fellow minimalist  :)

Pure quality theme + description,

Welcome Enzo!
hmmm i'm not getting the black either...what do I have to edit in the txt?
Thanks.

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 10:18:54 PM »
cambaya19, what is it that you quote me on?
Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 12:04:36 AM »
hmmm i'm not getting the black either...what do I have to edit in the txt?
Thanks.
To use this theme:
Copy the downloaded Folder "DType" to your /Extra/Themes/
Then just add/change the following key/string:
In your com.apple.boot.plist (Located in /Extra)
<key>Theme</key>
<string>THEME_NAME</string> (In this case, DType)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 12:06:59 AM by Enzo »

abubin

• Observer
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 09:00:43 AM »
this theme is very nice. But the word, "welcome to os x" seem a little too OSX-er. Maybe you could change it to something like "Chameleon 2 DType Theme" or something.

Terc

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 03:13:28 PM »
Absolutely beautiful theme.

Also, thanks for releasing it with a proper folder name.  I've grown a little tired of all the other theme releases using the folder name  "default"  I realize it's caused a couple people an issue, but it's the right way to do a release, so thanks! :D

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 05:26:00 PM »
Also, thanks for releasing it with a proper folder name.  I've grown a little tired of all the other theme releases using the folder name  "default"  I realize it's caused a couple people an issue, but it's the right way to do a release, so thanks! :D
Thanks for pointing this out Terc as this might have been because my Creating Themes guide did show adding the theme files to the default folder. I have now changed it to reflect using correctly named theme folders and the 'Theme' boot option (to be honest, when I wrote it back in May last year I didn't even know about the 'Theme' boot option and now I will give the guide an overhaul during the next few weeks.)  8)
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 05:28:45 AM »
Thanks for the compliments guys!

this theme is very nice. But the word, "welcome to os x" seem a little too OSX-er. Maybe you could change it to something like "Chameleon 2 DType Theme" or something.
A simple customized text would be easy to do ;-). Lmk if you have a specific request.

abubin

• Observer
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 06:16:43 AM »
yes, please customize the text to "Lenovo S10". That's my netbook :)

Also, when i boot my osx in verbose, the text scrolling is light grey. In contrast with the white background, it is very hard to see. Would be nice to have it in darker grey.

Thanks.