overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Cannot resume from sleepfile if using 4GB RAM  (Read 9017 times)

CharredPC

• Observer
Cannot resume from sleepfile if using 4GB RAM
« on: November 05, 2009, 09:00:32 AM »
Hibernation works well on this laptop if using 2GB RAM- saves to disk, shuts down, and reloads the image on bootup fine. However, Chameleon cannot load the sleep image if it is over 3.xGB. This has been mentioned before by a user who attempted to create their own fix, but it did not work for me. I'd rather not choose between Hibernation and running 4GB RAM :)

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
Re: Cannot resume from sleepfile if using 4GB RAM
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 01:14:02 PM »
I think you are referring to this fix by radekg? http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,743.0.html
and I think it has been included for the next release :)
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

CharredPC

• Observer
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 04:40:26 PM »
Yes, that was what I was referring to. I hope the official Chameleon fix works; that one does not.

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 05:52:32 PM »
I'm sure it will. The Chameleon team are very talented :)
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

CharredPC

• Observer
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 05:46:25 PM »
Not only did the latest release NOT fix the problem, because they included Radekg's non-working fix, now any time there's a sleep image present, OSX won't boot at all. It completely locks up. ForceWake=y does nothing. Only way to get past it is to replace the boot file or use an alternate one, say, via a boot cd. Reverted back to v3 so I can actually use Chameleon  :P

PS. Maybe this only works for the 64-bit SL crowd? Booting RC4 with -v, the only line it displays before locking up is:

Loaded HFS+ file: [System/Library/CoreServices/System Version.plist]

Kind of a nasty hack if it deadlocks for anyone with an active sleepfile who isn't specifically running 10.6.x in 64-bit mode... announcements should definitely be made before 32-bit support is officially tossed out.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 08:47:28 AM by CharredPC »

apocolipse269

• Entrant
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 04:49:08 PM »
Not only did the latest release NOT fix the problem, because they included Radekg's non-working fix, now any time there's a sleep image present, OSX won't boot at all. It completely locks up. ForceWake=y does nothing. Only way to get past it is to replace the boot file or use an alternate one, say, via a boot cd. Reverted back to v3 so I can actually use Chameleon  :P

PS. Maybe this only works for the 64-bit SL crowd? Booting RC4 with -v, the only line it displays before locking up is:

Loaded HFS+ file: [System/Library/CoreServices/System Version.plist]

Kind of a nasty hack if it deadlocks for anyone with an active sleepfile who isn't specifically running 10.6.x in 64-bit mode... announcements should definitely be made before 32-bit support is officially tossed out.

I have the same issue, wont wake from 4gb of memory.  However i suggest you read your documentation a bit better, you can get past the "lock" simply by using Wake=n at boot (or add it to com.apple.Boot.plist), this tells chameleon not to wake from the wake image, pretty simple...

CharredPC

• Observer
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 12:39:18 PM »
Wake=n does in fact work, thanks.

Today I installed SL (10.6.2) and tested RC4 with deep sleep... exact same error, even running in 64-bit mode  :P

Apex

• Observer
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 10:46:36 AM »
RC4 should have fixed wake-from-disk. But i am having exactly the same issue. The System hangs with the "Loading HFS+ File .... SystemVersion.plist" line when the boot device is selected.
All i can say is, wake-from-disk worked ONE time when i had two harddrives in my system. But i had to remove one harddrive and it stopped working. I am using SL and the 32bit Kernel.

Maybe someone gets a idea why it worked when i had two harddrives.

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 02:24:45 PM »
Anyone with this problem - are you using P-ATA (IDE) drives?

There's a 64-bit addressing bug in older ATA.kexts that cause crashes on systems with 3 GB RAM or more. Maybe this is related somehow.

If possible, please temporarily disable your P-ATA controller in the BIOS and check if it still happens.
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

Apex

• Observer
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 10:44:39 PM »
I am using a SATA AHCI only System (ICH10) and have no P-ATA Drives at all.

CharredPC

• Observer
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 02:07:48 AM »
Also using a laptop with only a SATA drive here, but this bug came up again today- while I was out of the house, without a boot disc to circumvent the issue. VERY annoying. Will have to roll back to RC3 until someone decides to look into this.