Author Topic: Support for ext4  (Read 8619 times)

staticanime

Support for ext4
« on: July 04, 2009, 09:36:36 PM »
I tried installing Ubuntu alongside Mac OS X, and used the new ext4 format. The Linux drive did not appear in chameleon after reboot, I had to install ubuntu again and go back to ext3. It'd be cool if you can add ext4 support, or even add a Linux drivers option when installing chameleon (like reFit does).

Also, it'd be great if Chameleon could read labels off Linux partitions to name them, or if you could drop a file (eg, .partitionlabel) with a text string in it to identify the partition

Windows04

Re: Support for ext4
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 09:28:42 PM »
Mmm... that's weird, i have ubuntu 9.04 for months now (also installed with the new ext4 format) and i can boot into ubuntu with the chameleon 2 bootloader... so it does support ext4...

staticanime

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 11:27:46 PM »
Maybe mine just screwed up. I'll be reinstalling soon anyway, will test then to see if ext4 works properly or not

Windows04

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 01:37:18 PM »
Make sure you install the grub bootloader in the ubuntu partition (with the advanced button on the last page of the installation).

sdbinwiiexe

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 04:57:16 AM »
Many Linux distros are moving to the ext4 filesystem (ext3 was earlier  used).  ext4 support would be great for users multibooting with a linux ext4 partition.  ext4 is supposed to be backwards-compatible with ext2 and ext3.  As ext3 has been already implemented in chameleon, im hoping that ext4 will not be far away (RC5 maybe  ;) ).  I don't know an aweful lot about these filesystems and their workings, but it would be much appreciated if i could boot into my ext4 from chameleon.

Moderator Edit: I have merged this thread with an existing one on the same subject.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 06:28:50 PM by Blackosx »

nosekefik

• Entrant
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 03:31:43 PM »
Yes, a good thik.
I want to install karmic, but chameleon don't found ubuntu partition.

Sorry foor mya horrible english!

sdbinwiiexe

• Entrant
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 04:34:36 PM »
Right now I have to install ubuntu using manual install so that it can install on an ext3 partition (mounted as "/").  I also had to install the bootloader to this partition (doing this now).  I'll post if I can get it to show up in chameleon.

Update: Ubuntu now appears in Chameleon.  Maybe I could install Ubuntu on ext4, but with the bootloader active on that partition.  I'll update again later.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 11:10:37 PM by sdbinwiiexe »

mots

• Entrant
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 05:48:30 PM »
Yeah, +1, I'd love to boot my Arch from Chameleon...

Windows04

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 07:29:37 PM »
Well i have ubuntu 9.10 on my pc (together with mac and windows) and it's formatted in ext 4 and it just boots fine for me if i use RC4...

sdbinwiiexe

• Entrant
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 02:33:16 AM »
I figured out how to install Ubuntu with Chameleon after a while.  It turns out it doesn't matter if it's ext2, 3, or 4, because it can register (appear) as ext2 to the boot loader.  When Installing Ubuntu, on the last screen where it gived advanced options, opt to  install the boot loader, but instead of installing it to MBR, select your ubuntu partition from the drop-down box.  This will register that you have a boot loader for your ubuntu on the partition, and Chameleon can load it.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 02:48:51 AM by sdbinwiiexe »