overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Chameleon vs. MacOS X versions  (Read 3124 times)

Alice

• Entrant
  • Photographer
Chameleon vs. MacOS X versions
« on: February 19, 2010, 12:58:24 PM »
Hello everyone!

I just got into this and while still reading about it, I would like your advice on a simple question: Is there a particular version of Chameleon that's recommended for 10.5.x?

I'm running 10.5.8 on my Macs and I'm very happy with it. For starters, I'm thinking of doing the same for my Hackintosh.

I read that v2RC is under development and I also know that 10.6 is the version that Apple currently ships. Still, I'm puzzled if the latest versions of Chameleon are supposed to work equally between 10.5 and 10.6

May I have your thoughts about this?

Alice

PS: I see that a few other members talk about versions but I'm not sure I understand the discussions completely. I'm just an artist :)

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,790.0.html
http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,3.0.html

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
Re: Chameleon vs. MacOS X versions
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 01:05:29 PM »
Hi Alice,

You should be fine with the latest official build RC4 (provided that you give us more info about your hardware). I'm using RC4 to boot both X.5.x & X.6.x on my hack (though that's not meant to guarantee anything).

From each (major) version of MacOS X to the next one, Apple applies a set of changes both above & under the hood of the OS. So far, every major upgrade introduced certain challenges for Hacks (up to the point that merely booting X required some changes to be applied). Chameleon as a bootloader tries to keep up with the latest changes as MacOS X evolves.

Btw the upcoming version (RC5) will bring lots of polishing and changes. I'm not one to advertise "easiness" but depending on your needs you might find it useful to wait till the said version gets released.
Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 01:06:42 PM »
Hi Alice

No particular version required. You should be fine using the official release of RC4 to boot 10.5.8.
I have 10.5.8 and 10.6.2 booting just fine with the latest pre-release of RC5.
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Alice

• Entrant
  • Photographer
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 02:21:10 PM »
Thank you guys!

I'm trying to get my head around the basics.

My needs are simple, I'm thinking of using that PC I just got from my brother for the dirty jobs in my studio (I'm a photographer), like scanning, batch conversions, etc.

I guess that I have to check the hardware details before I ask any more questions.

Thanks again.

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 06:58:30 PM »
Yep do so as it will only help you to get started.

Try to find the details (make/model/size) of the motherboard, memory, and graphics card.

The use you're describing sounds fine. If you treat this as a Hack, you're in for a surprise :)

Ignore all nagging and "easy" placebo buzzwords you may stumble upon, and you may find a nice addition in your studio. It only requires to understand the differences/limitations of different things.
Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives