Author Topic: ATI and possibly nVIDIA resolution patch (based on prasys' 915resolution port)  (Read 114789 times)

lebidou

• Resident
Hello,
I've been playing with prasys' 915resolution port and got my ATI X1900 Mobility to boot with native resolution, so I thought I could share that.
In fact it should work with newer ATI cards too, and I applied the same method to Nvidia cards. I can't test that myself though.

ATI cards are working perfect! If you have a Mobility card, that could solve some of your resolution issues.

Please use the debug version FIRST and report what's written before entering the GUI.

here is the diff for RC5pre11: http://www.gael-philippe.fr/Chameleon.2.0-RC5pre11-autoRes.diff.txt
and the precompiled boot file: http://www.gael-philippe.fr/chameleon.RC5pre11.autoResolution.zip
precompiled debug boot file: http://www.gael-philippe.fr/chameleon.RC5pre11.autoResolution.debug.zip

How to use it : The booter patches the Standard VESA tables in the shadow Video BIOS (vbios) so the VESA modes will fit the aspect ratio of your display. By default, it will try to get an EDID and use it to get the values. However, the values in the EDID are not always correct.
If the mode from the EDID doesn't fit, you can disable the patch with AutoResolution=No or set a custom resolution with "Graphics Mode"=1440x900x32, using you own resolution.

NEW: while in the boot menu, if you type "Graphics Mode"=1440x900x32 and press F2, it will try to set that mode and return to the menu. In the debug version, keep pressing F2 to go through the output.

NOTE: You have to define a mode in your Boot.plist to have GUI working.

Known issues : On some computer, it will be impossible to set modes higher than 1280x1024. It depends on the VESA implementation in your devices. The booter is not responsible for that.
On NVIDIA cards, you might experience a graphic bug at the bottom of your display. VGA seems ok.
Most Intel GMA hasn't been tested. In theory, should be working.
Not Intel chipsets (e.g. ATI&NVIDIA integrated chipsets, VIA chipsets...) aren't supported. The booter uses a functionality in Intel chipsets from 8xx series to 4 series for unlocking the shadow vbios. The Intel 5 series chipset (core i3/i5/i7) aren't supported either, the functionality has moved.

Moderator Edit: Thread cleaned, Title polished. All threads are maintained by their respective OPs. Collaborative threads must show crystal-clear signs of collaboration. This forum is not a kindergarden for pissing contests. Be nice, have fun or take it elsewhere.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 01:36:44 PM by rocksteady »

oldnapalm

Great work.

Works fine on GeForce 9800 GTX.

lebidou

• Resident
Great! I'm very pleased to hear that!
thanx for testing!

oldnapalm

I get kernel panic mounting USB drive after sleep/wake using this boot. The most strange is that if I boot in verbose mode to see the KP screen it doesn't happen.

lebidou

• Resident
Sorry, but I fail to see how this could be conflicting with USB...
What version of chameleon were you using before trying this one ? And do you use USBfix and/or EHCIAcquire boot options ?

BladeRunner

How does one select and/or modify the boot resolution using this boot file?
Base system: HP Pavilion P6340f Desktop  Intel� Core2Quad�  CPU: Speed: 2.66 GHz   Package: Socket 775 LGA:  L2 Cache 2 x 2048 KB  RAM : 8.0 GB:  DDR3

Disks : 2 eSATA @ 2 TB (hardware raid 1), NAS 4 x 2 TB raid 5 Display : 21" Samsung on EVGA GeForce 9400 GT - PCIe - 1900x1080  Keyboard/mouse :  USB connected  OS Version : 10.6.0 from retail DVD + SW update to 10.6.5 - Kernel:  Vanilla mach_kernel

oldnapalm

Sorry, but I fail to see how this could be conflicting with USB...
I can't see too, but it happens.

What version of chameleon were you using before trying this one ? And do you use USBfix and/or EHCIAcquire boot options ?
I was using RC4 without problems (re-tested and it works fine) and don't use USBfix/EHCIAcquire, I just inject device ID of ICH10 to USB* in DSDT (mine is ICH9) so sleep works.

Update: download link for diff is invalid. It's against what version?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 08:07:37 PM by oldnapalm »

lebidou

• Resident
@oldnapalm :
In the first post I used the version available in the repo (r687)
but I think you had a little bit older version (r684), and there are differences with USB between the two.
So I recompiled from r684:
chameleon.r684.resolution.zip

I hope this will work.
update: I corrected the link for the diff file, looks like there were some trouble with .diff extension

@BladeRunner :
As it is, the user can't pick a resolution, the booter takes it from the edid it gets. So it is always using the native one.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 12:41:48 AM by lebidou »

oldnapalm

In the first post I used the version available in the repo (r687)
but I think you had a little bit older version (r684), and there are differences with USB between the two.
So I recompiled from r684:
chameleon.r684.res.zip
Thanks.

With this version USB works fine after sleep (problem must be in r687), and the boot screen (gray apple) is in native display resolution, but the GUI doesn't show up, it starts in text mode.

lebidou

• Resident
Oops... my mistake, corrected. Download it from the same place. It works now.

And just to know, would you prefer to be able to change resolution using the theme file, or is it better to let it to autodetection ?

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
Re: ati and possibly nvidia resolution(based on prasys' 915resolution port)
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 10:08:35 PM »
The theme .plist only sets the resolution that the theme uses, it should not affect the actual boot resolution set in com.apple.Boot.plist.

Many users will want to set resolution manually in the theme .plist, when theme default resolution and native resolution don't match - and since themes are optional as well imho autodetection is the best way...as long as it works as intended of course :)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 05:55:43 AM by Gringo Vermelho »
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

oldnapalm

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 10:46:59 PM »
lebidou,

with the last version the GUI shows up, but at 1024x768, only the boot screen is in native resolution.

The link in the first post is wrong ("The system cannot find the file specified.").

About the USB issue in r687, is it known or should I report it?

lebidou

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 11:54:56 PM »
Ok, now, I hope, we're good, gui loads correctly, and link is corrected.

for the usb thing, I don't know, I'm going to bed now. will see tomorow.
Thanx for testing and sorry I made these very silly mistakes.

oldnapalm

No, I thank you for the great work, all is working fine now.

I will check in the bug report section, if it's not there I will report the USB issue.

Regards.

Ezhoon

• Observer
Tried this boot with Nvidia 8800GTS 320MB and 30inch lcd combo but, didn't work :(

It boots fine and everything seems to be working alright but,
boot logo's resolution is not 2560x1600, which is native resolution of 30inch lcd