Author Topic: [SOLVED] Very different boot0 error (could use some help!!)  (Read 4359 times)

uman

• Observer
[SOLVED] Very different boot0 error (could use some help!!)
« on: March 05, 2010, 03:50:33 PM »
Usually one sees the GPT message, then the testing one, then an error one if you have an error. I don't.

I just see "boot0: error"

I installed 10.6 from a retail DVD on a new drive (a WD WD6400BEVT 640GB in a USB case) connected up to a MacBook Pro running Leopard. I successfully booted from it into SL from the MBP. I then updated the installation to 10.6.2. Now I want to install that drive into my hackbook, and replace the existing Leopard (iPC 10.5.6) installed HD.

I connected the new WD drive via USB to my hackbook (it's rdisk1). I then followed the Chameleon EFI manual install (I have unix shell skillz, so no worries there). I used as my baseline, Conti's patch of Chameleon RC4 (Chameleon_v2.0-RC4_AsereBLN_myHack_v1.0-r111).

So yes, I did the mount_hfs of the EFI partition, installed boot0 with fdisk, installed boot1h to the bootsector of the EFI partition, copied boot to /Volumes/EFI, touched /Volumes/EFI/.fseventsd/no_log, made sure the EFI partition is flagged as active with fdisk, made sure that ignore permissions on both the SL partition and EFI partition are unchecked. I then installed my kexts, DSDT, plists, and made my Extensions.mkext. I then finished with the usual chmod -R 755, and chown -R root:wheel.

When I reboot, it's clearly booting from the USB, and I get the boot0 error. I can't think of what I've missed, except:

1. Does Chameleon RC4 get confused if there are other disks with a Chameleon bootloader present? (My main Leopard on the internal hard disk (iPC 10.5.6 uses Chameleon).

Could use some help here. Thanks!!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 03:09:19 PM by uman »

r0m30

• Forum Moderator
    • r0m30's OSX86 site
Re: Very different boot0 error (could use some help!!)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 01:35:22 AM »
I just see "boot0: error"

If your not seeing the GPT message that means Chameleon isn't recognizing the protective MBR on the disk, are you sure it's not damaged?

When I reboot, it's clearly booting from the USB, and I get the boot0 error. ....
Does Chameleon RC4 get confused if there are other disks with a Chameleon bootloader present?

Haven't seen it happen and the code doesn't look like it should, but....

Have you tried adding this to your com.apple.Boot.plist?
Code: [Select]
<key>Scan Single Drive</key>
<string>yes</string>
To make sure it only looks at the boot drive?
--- r0m30 ---
HP Mini 1033CL (Costco) OSX Retail 10.6 Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658
HP m9077c -  ASUS IPIBL-LA MoBo with Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Retail 10.6.2 Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684

uman

• Observer
Re: Very different boot0 error (could use some help!!)
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 03:08:31 PM »
Thanks for the reply-- I forgot to post back yesterday that kizwan found the problem.

Turns out I was too used to linux fdisk. I followed a guide which mentioned using fdisk to make the efi partition active-- after they instructed using fdisk to put boot0 on the drive! That ended up overwriting it. I redid the fdisk and dd steps and all is well.

Thanks for your reply-- you were right, the MBR was damaged. Have a nice Saturday-- cheers!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 03:31:51 PM by uman »