overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Chameleon Fail  (Read 7781 times)

kcterry

• Entrant
Chameleon Fail
« on: March 07, 2010, 12:23:07 AM »
I've got this problem where any Chameleon installation causes my system to fail to boot. After about 10 seconds on the grey apple screen it darkens and throws up the "you need to reboot your system" error. I can get in using the Chameleon bootloader on my myHack installation usb stick, but every time I install Chameleon (rc1, 3, 4, and 5) I get stuck in the same spot. That's just using the installers. When I try and manually install Chameleon, at running fdisk I get the error "could not read MBR code: Is a directory." Has anybody had and/or is aware of a fix or know what I might be doing wrong?

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
Re: Chameleon Fail
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 05:16:51 PM »
The manual installation instructions do work.

In the Terminal, make sure you've changed directory to the i386 folder first. So for example,  if you've downloaded and extracted the Chameleon RC4 binary folder to your desktop, in terminal type:

cd ~/Desktop/Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684-bin/i386
or
type cd (followed by a space) then drag the i386 folder to the terminal and press return.

Then once your inside the i386 folder, try installing Chameleon again.
If you get stuck, then type diskutil list in Terminal and post the result here.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 05:20:06 PM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

kcterry

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 07:03:37 PM »
I finally figured that part out: human error. I was in the source folder, not the binary. However, I still come up with the kernel panic on boot. The error is:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x79cd4de4): "No HPETs available...CPU(s) configured incorrectly

Any suggestions?

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 09:57:08 PM »
Try setting ForceHPET=y in /extra/com.apple.Boot.plist
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

kcterry

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 10:05:25 PM »
I already tried that and it hung at the same place with the same error.

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 12:52:26 AM »
Check your BIOS settings?

Enable all CPU features except CPU ID Limit, and enable ACPI 2.0.
Check for a HPET setting and enable it if it's there. If there are several, try them all and see if there's any change.

Maybe you need to fix Device (HPET) in your DSDT.

You can also try Netkas' HPETDevice.kext.
How to...
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

kcterry

• Entrant
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 12:31:41 PM »
Disabling HPET in BIOS results in the same error with the exception of it being cpu 1 instead of cpu 0.

I'm pretty sure I selected to fix HPET when I made my DSDT, but I'll run it again just to make sure.

I don't think I've heard of Netkas' HPETDevice.kext. I'll look that up and try it.

kcterry

• Entrant
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 10:02:54 AM »
I guess I had already fixed HEPT in the DSDT: I tried that and the exact same thing happened. Then I tried Netkas' kext and that seemed to solve the problem. I got past the previous hanging point as far as initializing the ethernet, and then it hung, however it didn't lock up. The caps lock key was still functional. Same problem, do you think? Or something different now.

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 04:09:25 PM »
I don't know. Maybe the trick is to not fix HPET when you patch your DSDT. My DSDT doesn't need it.
Try booting in safe mode (-x) and see if you get any further.

Anyway we're veering too far off topic for this forum.
How to...

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 04:50:27 PM »
@kcterry - I think Chameleon is functioning fine here and the problem lies with your installation of the files in Chameleon's /Extra folder on your HDD.  The fact that you are getting the "No HPETs available...CPU" error could be down to you running with a DSDT that's not patched and without NullCPUPowerManagement.kext in /Extra/Extensions. I suggest you boot in verbose mode and read the rest of the kernel panic down to where it reads backtrace and see what other information you can gather. But as Gringo says, we're moving away from the prime objective of this forum which is to help with Chameleon issues and not with general hackintosh support.

And as you have said that you can boot just fine with your myHack USB, then I am surprised just copying the files from that to your Chameleon installation on your HDD doesn't work for you. So I think you will be better off contacting the creator of the myhack USB and having them recommend the best way to install those particular files to the /Extra folder for the Chameleon installation on your HDD.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 05:13:14 PM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB