overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Will updating my version of Chameleon fix my sleep and screensaver issues?  (Read 2744 times)

jokop

• Entrant
hi all
I have pc with 10.5.7 leopard  and chameleon v2.0 r431 but the sleep and screensaver dont work
1: could upgrading the chameleon fix my problems?
2: should I upgrade to the latest chameleon version (RC4)?
thanks all for any help
jokop

Moderator Edit: I have renamed this thread to make it more appropriate. It was previously titled "should I install chameleon?"
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 06:02:52 PM by Blackosx »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
Re: should I install chameleon?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 04:24:58 PM »
Hi jokop

Chameleon is a bootloader and I wouldn't have thought it was responsible for your sleep and screensaver not working. If it's got your 10.5.7 system booted then it's done it's job. I suggest you search maybe InsanelyMac or one of the other forums for users with similar hardware to yours to find further answers to your problems.

But you can of course always upgrade anyway to using the latest version which is currently RC4.
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

jokop

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 02:59:12 PM »
hi blackosx
well i read here (zikman post)http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=86824&view=findpost&p=655384 that the problem is with the kernel (he claims that to solve such a problem one should install not the vanilla kernel but another kernel (TOH kernel). he also mention that one should put some patches (kext file =exentions to the kernel)
(infact I dont know which  kernel I have (weather toH or vanilla or voodoo. how do I check it? does voodoo = TOH?))
anyway Ive read that one can install pc_efi on top of chemelon bootloader and then you couldnt care less which kernel you have because the pc_efi allows you to use the vanilla kernal the unmodified kernel or even other kernels (since I dont know which I use ). using pc_efi dismisses you from installing patches to the kernel and you can use the vanilla kernel (ahhm which I dont know weather I have...)  and without any patches.
in short pc_efi will make the world better.
ahha! but latest versions of pc_efi require at least chemeleon rc2 or something and I have older chameleon version (chemeleon v2.0 r431). this is why I want to upgrade to the latest version of chameleon

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 08:03:52 PM »
What hardware are you running OS X on?
Have you installed a retail installation or a hacked install like iDeneb or iAktos or similar? as if you are using a hacked installation then I suggest you find the support forum for that distro.

You can find out what kernel is running by loading the Terminal and typing
uname -a

• PC-EFI is a fork of Chameleon RC3 with various tweaks and extra's added by Netkas.
• This is a support forum for Chameleon not for PC-EFI.
• Chameleon can load a different kernel if you need it.

Like I said before, I don't think the bootloader is responsible for your sleep or screensaver not working.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 11:25:06 PM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

jokop

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 09:20:35 AM »
thanks blackosx
i typed uname -a and the result is
...imac.local 9.7.0 Darwin Kernel Version 9.7.0: Tue Mar 31 22:52:17 PDT 2009; root:xnu-1228.12.14~1/RELEASE_I386 i386
so its the vanilla kernel right?
so the options for me to upgrade the kernel are 2:
1:   to keep the vanilla and install pc_efi
2:   to replace the vanilla with TOH as described in the post of zigman in in the link above and to istall some patches

it looks in my view atleast that method 1 is better- right?

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 10:45:53 AM »
it looks in my view atleast that method 1 is better- right?
No.

I still don't know what hardware you're running, or what OS X system (retail or distro) as the link in your first post was from two years ago based on using a Gateway P-6825 Laptop with an iAtkos install. I guess you are using an intel CPU as you're running the vanilla kernel which is good and therefore if you upgrade your version of OS X then you will get an updated vanilla kernel.

If you want to test your theory then go ahead and install a new version of Chameleon then replace the boot file with PC-EFI but I still don't think it's the bootloader causing your sleep and screensaver issues.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 10:49:23 AM by Blackosx »

jokop

• Entrant
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 05:42:50 PM »
hey blackosx. I really appreciate your efforts and patiants.
anyway, no luck so far.
I tried to update as you said my osx86 so my vanilla kernel would be updated to. I just updated from 10.5.7 to 10.5.8 using software update link.
also updated to chemeleon rc4 and then installed pc_efiv10.6 but still no sleep in my computer.
but atleast theres no harm also so thats a relief i guess :) .
anyway, now, in order to resolve my sleeping problem and to follow zikman guidelines in this link
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=86824&view=findpost&p=655384 , should I intall a patched kernel or should I just ignore this step and try to follow the installation of  the kext files ?
have a nice day
jokop

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 01:07:28 PM »
Hi jokop

Well done with the upgrade, but like I keep telling you, I don't think the bootloader is responsible for your sleep or screensaver issues. And after a couple of requests, you still haven't told me what hardware or what OS X installation you are using so I can't help you any further. It seems to me like you really want to follow the Zikman's two year old post, so go ahead and try it.

I have to be honest here and I hope you understand that I am not being unreasonable here, but this forum is dedicated to Chameleon and as it stands, the bootloader is working fine for you. And we have succeeded here in your original question of should you install Chameleon and got you up to the latest version.

The issues you have are with your own hardware and your OS X installation and I don't think it's anything we can fix in these forums. All I suggest is you try InsanelyMac, InfiniteMac or one of the other OS X related forums for further help.

Regards

jokop

• Entrant
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 10:54:59 AM »
thanks very much for the wonderful help and patiance
I'll try as you say insanelymac or infinetemac
bye
p.s. my computer is dell 760http://www.google.co.il/url?q=http://www.dell.com/downloads/emea/products/optix/Optiplex_760_Spec_Sheet_en.pdf&ei=W1SfS_-jOcTM4gbjmYmQDg&sa=X&oi=nshc&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CAoQzgQoAA&usg=AFQjCNGOp5eDA-5IcU67sMc8xtSJeJRbTA and installation is iatkos 10.5.7 (upgraded as you adviced to 10.5.8 8)