overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Dual booting Snow and Leopard  (Read 2800 times)

Josephien

• Entrant
Dual booting Snow and Leopard
« on: March 11, 2010, 10:35:19 PM »
i Just can't get it to work...

i installed snow first on the first partition of disk 1, with all the necessary mods in extra/extensions

then i installed leopard on partition 2 of disk 1 with all the necessary extensions in extra/extensions of that partition

when booting in leo i get an error (seems it loads the extra folder from partition 1

anybody knowing how to do it?

thanks

(using rc4)

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
Re: Dual booting Snow and Leopard
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 04:33:18 PM »
Hi Josephien

You only want one installation of Chameleon, so that's only one /Extra folder.
Then the idea is to have a 10.5 folder containing the required kexts for Leopard and a 10.6 folder containing the required kexts for Snow Leopard.
See this post for more details.
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Josephien

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 07:30:51 PM »
well when i'm using that structure i can boot leopard but can't boot snow anymore

i have to put the extensions.mkext in the root of extra to be able to boot snow (i installed snow first then cham then leo)

anymore hints ?

thanks

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 11:51:59 PM »
What happens when you say you can't boot Snow anymore? Does it not show in Chameleon's GUI? or does it KP when you select it from Chameleon?

Can you type diskutil list in to the Terminal and post the result here, along with details of where you have installed Chameleon. Also can you try booting in Verbose mode (-v) and post a screenshot of when it fails?

For reference, this is my folder structure for Chameleon:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 11:53:39 PM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Josephien

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 07:40:47 AM »
to blackosx :

i have 1 disc with 2 partitions (made from within the apple installer)
the first partition is snow (installed from a boot132 cd)
after the installation finished i installed chameleon on the snow partition
this setup worked very fine but i also wanted leopard on the same disc so i installed leopard on the second partition
the problem now :

when booting leopard it uses the extra/10.5/extensions folder (i can see that booting verbose) so that's ok
but when booting snow it don't uses the extra/10.6/extensions folder i have to put the extensions.mkext (created by kexttool for snow) in the root of the extra folder then snow boots fine without that i get a KP referencing to apple.intel.cpupowermanagement

the problem if i boot now leo, it uses that mkext file and the extensions of 10.5 but that mkext file is not compatible with 10.5 so i get a message that it cannot read the plist or something like that

to what i understand is that cham under my snow reads the root of the extra folder for its extensions

should i try to install chameleon in the efi partition?

many thanks

edit: i partioned the disc in guid
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 07:48:14 AM by Josephien »

Josephien

• Entrant
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 02:51:56 PM »
Ok so i installed chameleon on the efi partition and all is working now

great thank you to blackosx, when i saw that your installation was done on a separate partition i had the idea to put in on the efi partition and voila me very happy  ;D

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 01:50:01 PM »
Great. I am happy you have it working :)