overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Chameleon boots XP, but not OSX  (Read 2175 times)

ScottyD33

• Entrant
Chameleon boots XP, but not OSX
« on: March 23, 2010, 02:39:17 PM »
After hours of guide reading and searching, last night I finally got OSX installed on my Dell desktop.  I overcame the boot0 errors by reconfiguring my partitions and when I rebooted Chameleon appeared asking me if I wanted to boot into XP or OSX.

Selecting XP boots into XP just fine.

When I select OSX I see "loading Darwin" in the upper left corner for a second, then the screen resets and I'm back at the Chameleon GUI asking me which OS I want to boot.

I've searched around and all I've found were people having problems booting into XP but no problems with OSX.  I've got the opposite :(

Anyone hear of this or maybe can point me in the right direction?  Thank you!

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
Re: Chameleon boots XP, but not OSX
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 04:21:15 PM »
Hi ScottyD33

From reading your description, I am not sure how to answer your question as I haven't used XP with Chameleon, only Vista and Windows7. But to help us help you, would you mind supplying some more information? Could you post details of your HDD partition structure and where each OS installation is, Chameleon's /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and the /Extra folder structure.

That might help me, or someone else give you some answers.

10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

ScottyD33

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 04:31:57 PM »
Attached is my partition info.

The pink partition was an existing XP install.  The yellow is what I installed OSX on (but have never been able to boot to it.  Install seemed to succeed.)

Regarding "Chameleon's /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and the /Extra folder structure"  - where would I go to find this information?

^noob.

Thanks for the help!

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 04:58:42 PM »
Okay, Thanks for that, though to be honest, I am not sure how to proceed here.

I know you have said you have already installed OS X, and installed Chameleon, but I suggest you have a look at r0m30's installation guide for installing OS X without access to a working OS X installation. The reason I point you to that is it will hopefully give you a greater understanding of the /Extra folder and the com.apple.Boot.plist which you need for Chameleon.

Maybe from that you can build yourself a bootable Chameleon USB stick to allow you to boot your OS X installation before playing with the Chameleon installation on your HDD and risk messing up your XP install.

I hope you find that of some use. :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 05:18:10 PM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB