Author Topic: What should not be installed in the /Extra/Extensions folder?  (Read 2104 times)

vinnie881

• Entrant
I want to keep my system as vanilla as possible, but I am not sure if I should keep EVERYTHING in the extra folder, or if certain items it's ok to install to /S/L/E

For instance I have a specific kext/driver for my network card.  Should that be installed in my Extra/Extensions folder? 

I am just trying to figure out what items I should not put in the /Extra/Extensions folder if any?

Thanks!

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
Re: What should not be installed in the /Extra/Extensions folder?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 02:38:17 PM »
It depends.

The main reason for placing kernel extensions in /extra/extensions is to keep them safe from getting overwritten by Apple system updates.

If you're using a kernel extension that doesn't replace an Apple kernel extension you can install it in /S/L/E/ without having to worry about it getting overwritten during a system update. AppleVIAATA and skge.kext (Marvell 61xx PATA controller and 88SE8001 LAN) are two such drivers.

Unless you use a .plist only (aka "legacy") kernel extension you can't normally use a network driver from /E/E because of dependencies (IOPCIFamily and IONetworkingFamily). You can check dependencies by looking at the end of info.plist inside the kext.
A workaround is to place the kexts that your driver depends on inside E/E as well - but it's ugly and it will get uglier still when those kexts get updated by Apple - the system will reject the older versions in E/E and load the updated ones in /S/L/E.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 05:11:58 PM by Gringo Vermelho »
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131