Author Topic: [BUG] Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint not working  (Read 13649 times)

f00barzes

• Entrant
[BUG] Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint not working
« on: April 22, 2009, 12:13:43 PM »
Hello Voodoo-Team,

maximum congratulations to your VoodooPS2Controller Creation, it works lovely, and finally makes my localized keyboard work properly.

Anyway I am experiencing a bug when using it on a
  • Lenovo Thinkpad T60p (Core Duo,http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T60p ),
  • OSX 10.5.6,
  • Vanilla Install+voodoo-xnu-Kernel 9.5-series off Google Code (because without Speedstep would not work and the machine overheats)

Hardware:
  • PS2-Keyboard Int'l 105 Keys Qwertz,
  • UltraNav aka PS2 Combination of Synaptics Touchpad and Synaptics Trackpoint (see http://www.jan-steinhoff.de/linux/synaptics-usb.html - although Linux drivers, the hardware information might be interesting. In X Org there is a normal PS2-based driver included. Should work with recent BSDs as well.)

• The Touchpad works perfectly including two-finger-scrolling,
  • the Trackpoint is not recognized anymore (it was with the older versions of ApplePS2Controller, even though it was then recognized in "dumb" mode without Synaptics special functions)
  • The Fn-Something Extra-keys on the Keyboard are not recognized (Mediakeys, Browser-Back/Forward/, Sleep/Hibernate, Dock-Eject, ...)

Wish/Question:
  • Have the Trackpoint working
  • Make the FN+something keys work
  • Gigantic Plus: Have the trackpoint working with the Synaptics Extra Features (tap to click, pressure sensitiveness, scroll with Trackpoint when clicking middle mouse button) Update: As the touchpad more or less only detects if there was one or two fingers on the pad and no decent locations for multiple fingers, multitouch gestures will not be possible on this touchpad.

Question:
  • Is there some tool as xev on Linux to debug the (raw) input the hardware sends, when extending the Drivers myself? I actually do get 2 unknown keycodes from the keyboard driver, although I expected more.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 09:40:41 PM by f00barzes »

trip2me

• Observer
Re: [BUG] Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint not working
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 06:09:07 AM »
Wish/Question:
  • Have the Trackpoint working
  • Make the FN+something keys work
  • Gigantic Plus: Have the trackpoint working with the Synaptics Extra Features (tap to click, pressure sensitiveness, scroll with Trackpoint when clicking middle mouse button) Update: As the touchpad more or less only detects if there was one or two fingers on the pad and no decent locations for multiple fingers, multitouch gestures will not be possible on this touchpad.

Question:
  • Is there some tool as xev on Linux to debug the (raw) input the hardware sends, when extending the Drivers myself? I actually do get 2 unknown keycodes from the keyboard driver, although I expected more.

The reason why trackpoint doesn't work is VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext was loaded instead of VoodooPS2Mouse.kext.
Maybe VoodooPS2Trackpad source code have to be modified to fix the problem.
If you use trackpoint only, just delete VoodooPS2Trackpad.kext temporary. And than it works well.
see below attached image. Selected item was ApplePS2ALPSGlidePoint when trackpoint didn't work.

FN+something keys doesn't make stadards PS/2 scancode.
It has to be accessed with special port, so we make a new kernel extension to support it.

If you want examine PS/2 scancode, get the source code and modify it.
You can add below line in 'dispatchKeyboardEventWithScancode()' at VoodooPS2Keyboard.cpp.
Code: [Select]
IOLog("%s: PS/2 scancode: 0x%x\n", getName(), scanCode);After install kext, you can find report with Console.app or /var/log/system.log

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/6/1/161ba512-40e2-4cc9-843a-923143f3456c/translate.pdf
it helps you to examine key names.

P.S. Sorry for my poor English. ;-)
If you have any question, please ask more.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 09:27:33 AM by trip2me »
Let's be a realist, however, keep impossible dream in our mind. -Che Guevara
All good that I do or have done is from Allah, and only the mistakes have been mine.  -Malcolm X

Sebinouse

• Entrant
Re: [BUG] Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint not working
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 05:09:30 PM »
Hey !

I have a slightly different issue with my Trackpoint :

I always have an error which freezes my wake after sleep
Code: [Select]
ApplePS2Mouse: Unexpected data from PS/2 controller.
I have the same result with either ApplePS2Controller or VoodooPS2Controller ... I really don't know where to begin to get sleep working (for the moment I just delete xxxPS2Mouse.kext and I use the pen of my tablet ...)

Config :
  • Lenovo X60T
  • with vanilla /SL/E
  • VoodooPS2Controller.kext in /E/E
  • Modified DSDT.aml
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 01:30:15 PM by Sebinouse »