overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Having problems with seting default partition and hiding partition  (Read 2915 times)

bigsandman69

• Entrant
 First off, I am a noob so i'm sorry if this is been answered before or it is something simple that i don't know. I am trying to set my default partition to a different OS. I Edited Boot.plist and added

<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(1,1)</string>

At the time I ran diskutil list and this was the number of my win7 disk and partition. When i went to reboot it came up with my usb drive as the default  so i unplugged my usb drive and tried rebooting into x, which it would not had to put in my boot disk and reboot to get back up to x. I decided to do a diskutil list again to see what went wrong. What i noticed is that my 2 os drives had different disk numbers then before. so i removed the Boot.plist changes and rebooted again and again. each time i rebooted into x my x and win7 drives kept changing between 0 to 1 position. 

Am I missing something? p.s. be easy on me i'm a complete noob
ASUS P5Q | Q6600 | 8GB DDR2 | EVGA GTX 260

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
Re: Having problems with seting default partition and hiding partition
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 03:40:28 PM »
Hi bigsandman69

I had this issue before too, so don't worry about being confused  ;)

This might not be the best way of explaining it but...
It's down to whether you change the boot order of your drives in BIOS as this will determine how OS X shows them to you in Disk Utility. But I think Chameleon will ignore this and identify the drives only one way.

So if hd(1,1) didn't work for you then try swapping the drive numbers, so try hd(0,1).

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 04:01:36 PM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

imacken

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 04:31:01 PM »
I think I'm right in saying that OSX always sees the boot drive as 0, and orders the others as per BIOS.
So, for example if your boot order in BIOS was P1, P0, P2 and P3, OSX shows them as d0, d1, d2 and d3.
Different in windows where Disk Management orders them as per BIOS.

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 06:52:26 AM »
I have OS X and Windows installed on separate drives.
When the OS X drive is connected to SATA port 1 and set as the primary hard drive I have no problems with the drive order changing.
In any other configuration, drive order seems to change something like 75% of the time when booting into OS X.
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

imacken

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 09:58:48 PM »
I take back what I said in my post above.  I've just updated my BIOS, and with the same boot order, Snow orders the disks differently now as I had to change the Chameleon 'hide' numbers.  Windows has also changed the disk numbers, so I give up trying to understand it!

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 06:20:41 AM »
I noticed on one setup that the OS X drive, which is on the second SATA port, and is listed properly within Terminal as hd(1,1) and  setting this as the default partition did not work. So in this case, the OS drive is not seen as the first, i.e. hd(0,x)

imacken

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 10:08:47 AM »
Yes, I've given up trying to understand the logic of the numbering.
I just go with whatever sys profiler tells me now!