overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Dual booting Leopard and Vista  (Read 3043 times)

cantos03

• Entrant
Dual booting Leopard and Vista
« on: March 23, 2010, 04:29:45 AM »
I kept running out of space on my OS X partition, so I shrank my Vista one and tried to reinstall OS X.  It didn't go smoothly, so I decided to delete and recreate the partition with Gparted, then use tar to restore my backup.  That seems to have worked; I can boot to my old installation with the iatkos DVD if I pass it rd=disk0s3.  Once in OS X, I followed the Chameleon 2.0RC4 instructions and installed it.  I may have had to set the bootable flag on the Windows partition, again, and I may have had to use the Vista recovery CD, but I can't remember.  Right now, it looks like a non-Vista bootloader might briefly (0.5 s) appear (I caught a glimpse of something like "boot0: done"), then the Vista one loads.  Vista does boot.  I readded an entry with EasyBCD for OS X, but when I go to it, I just get a blinking cursor.  The entry EasyBCD lists for OS X says the bootloader drive is c:, and the path is \NST\nst_mac.mbr.  I can't remember exactly where nst_mac.mbr came from, but I used it for my old OS X installation.

The way it used to work was the Vista bootloader came up (or maybe there was briefly another bootloader before it), I'd go to the OS X option, then Chameleon came up with a ~10s countdown, and then OS X boots.  I'd like to get back there.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 04:54:55 AM by cantos03 »

zef

• Administrator
Re: Dual booting Leopard and Vista
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 12:36:00 AM »
The entry EasyBCD lists for OS X says the bootloader drive is c:, and the path is \NST\nst_mac.mbr.  I can't remember exactly where nst_mac.mbr came from, but I used it for my old OS X installation.

The way it used to work was the Vista bootloader came up (or maybe there was briefly another bootloader before it), I'd go to the OS X option, then Chameleon came up with a ~10s countdown, and then OS X boots.  I'd like to get back there.

Hey cantos03,

The boot0: done message is fine, this means that you're still using the boot0 code in your HDD's MBR area. In your case it will load the activated partition's boot sector, then passes the execution to it - that's how you get Vista's boot manager. The nst_mac.mbr file actually the chain0 file, the EasyBCD guys renamed it as nst_mac.mbr (I guess nst stands for NeoSmart Technologies - the creator of EasyBCD) . This stage 0 loader should pickup the first bootable HFS MBR style partition. You need to reinstall boot1h and boot correctly to your OS X partition. I think you missed something, like dd'ed boot1h onto another partition, etc.
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

cantos03

• Entrant
Re: Dual booting Leopard and Vista
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 01:57:00 AM »
Something's wrong with my copying step.  I took a working installation on a fresh disk, ran mkfs.hfsplus on the partition, dd-ed boot1h to the first 1k of it (which matched the first 1k of my backup image), then used tar to copy all my files over.  I though that would be close enough to the same, but it wasn't; it never got past boot0.  But if I just replaced that partition with the image I backed up, it worked fine.  Either something wasn't right with the filesystem, or tar didn't copy everything.