overdue-scratch

Author Topic: whats the difference between chameleon mbr windows mbr?  (Read 3130 times)

jokop

• Entrant
whats the difference between chameleon mbr windows mbr?
« on: April 06, 2010, 03:26:49 PM »
hi all
Ive used chameleon with my hackintosh for a while.
and i dualboot windows xp and leopard with no major problems.
(I've installed chameleon with hackintosh via iatkos installasion.)

but since there are minor problems with my hackintosh I would like to freeze the mac partition. (ie to disable it for an unknown period)

I think I know how to do it. just set the active partition as my ntfs partition. (using disk management in my windows xp for example).
it will make my windows-boot-sector execute instead of the mac-boot-sector.

so my question is:
do I have to replace chameleon-boot0-mbr with windows-mbr? (using fdisk /mbr from dos)
in other wards what's the difference between chameleon mbr and windows mbr? 
thanks a lot
jokop

edit: infact I followed read this wonderful post of hb76 http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,516.msg4106.html#msg4106 he writes there:

boot0 tries to find active partition in MBR
if found, it loads the boot code of this partition an executes it
if there is no active partition, it searches for an HFS+ partition
as far as I can tell from the boot0 assembler code, it makes also
use of the GPT for this step. If found, it executes the boot code.

So if Windows is active, the boot1h is never executed and Windows is booted
directly.

On the other hand: If the active partition contains boot1h (= MacOS partition) then
one can choose to boot Windows from boot1h, but the Windows system partition is not active

so I replaced boot0 of chameleon with windows-mbr-code (I did it using mbrfix utility dowloaded from the internet but this can be done also with command prompt "fdisk /mbr" in safemode) and indeed no change was noticed. that is it boots to chameleon bootloader if mac partition is active and boots to windows bypassing the chameleon-boot-loader.

so what is the difference between chameleon-boot0 and windows-mbr-code ?
jokop
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 08:38:28 PM by jokop »

zef

• Administrator
Re: whats the difference between chameleon mbr windows mbr?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 04:41:10 PM »
so what is the difference between chameleon-boot0 and windows-mbr-code ?

Chameleon's boot0 can parse GPT entries besides the legacy MBR table, while windows' MBR code can only parse MBR entries.

Also using the new boot0hfs MBR code will prefer a bootable HFS partition instead of preferring the active partition, this way you can keep your Win 7 partition as the active one and can sleep Windows 7 properly, while Chameleon will be loaded from the inactive hfs partition at boot time.

Further reading about this option here:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,1141.0.html
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC