overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Think I wrecked my mbr or something!  (Read 2125 times)

stephen_falken

• Entrant
Think I wrecked my mbr or something!
« on: April 19, 2010, 12:16:46 PM »
Hi all.

I had a great working setup of Chameleon with Windows Vista, Leopard, and Snow Leopard.

Anyway, I was messing around with the chameleon themes and somehow managed to stop the system from booting.

I didn't think this would be much of a problem, so booted windows CD and used Diskpart to set my Leopard partition as active. This didn't work, so I repeated the step this time with the Snow Leopard partition, which didn't work either.

Finally I put in my external HD which has Chameleon loader on it, and the OS selection screen is showing all my partitions as being NTFS!?!? Can't understand what happened here as all I did was use Diskpart to set them active.

When I boot the SL installer and goto Disk Utility, only my Vista partition is mounted, the other two are still showing as NTFS but will not mount.

I can still see the contents of both partitions from windows using MacDrive. Please help, how can I fix this as I had almost a 100% setup on my laptop and spent so much time on it I am severly depressed about this!!

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

r0m30

• Forum Moderator
    • r0m30's OSX86 site
Re: Think I wrecked my mbr or something!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 12:42:48 AM »
You could try to repair your mbr by creating a boot cd or usb thumb drive of either partedmagic or sysrescue. and use fdisk (or gdisk if your disk is gpt) to change the partition types back to hfs+ in the partition table.

It would be a good idea to backup the mbr before you start too  ;)
--- r0m30 ---
HP Mini 1033CL (Costco) OSX Retail 10.6 Chameleon-2.0-RC3-r658
HP m9077c -  ASUS IPIBL-LA MoBo with Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Retail 10.6.2 Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684

stephen_falken

• Entrant
Re: Think I wrecked my mbr or something!
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 09:45:54 AM »
Hi and thanks for the reply.

I spent many hours yesterday trying to fix this so that I could get back into my beloved Snow Leopard.

Just for anyone else who has this issue (from their own stupidity, just like me!) I did a bit of reading about Partition Identifiers.

Somehow, all three partitions of my hard drive had been changed to the NTFS id of 0x07 - The bootloader assumes these are NTFS volumes and will not boot them!

I used Partition Wizard to change the ID of my two OSX partitions to the HFS ID of 0xAF, and after a reboot everything was back to normal.

Best Regards