Author Topic: Booting from an external CD from Chameleon Boot Prompt?  (Read 4651 times)

Homeoftheben

• Entrant
Booting from an external CD from Chameleon Boot Prompt?
« on: May 10, 2010, 05:23:26 AM »
Hi all,

I had a perfectly working hackintoshed Dell Mini 9 (running Leopard) up until a few days ago. I used the tutorial found here: http://gizmodo.com/5156903/how-to-hackintosh-a-dell-mini-9-into-the-ultimate-os-x-netbook

Just recently however it's started freezing at the start of OS X. Just an Apple, grey screen, and the little spinning boot wheel. I've tried rebooting from the Type11 cd I originally used, but I can't seem to get the Mini 9 to boot from an external drive. I've tried selecting "CD/DVD drive" from the Dell boot screen, I've tried boot options from the Chameleon Boot: prompt (though I don't know many)- does anyone know of a way to get it to boot from an external drive now that Chameleon/OSX is on there?

Thanks!
Ben

asusul30alaptop

• Entrant
    • Asus UL30A Laptop
Re: Booting from an external CD from Chameleon Boot Prompt?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 08:03:45 AM »
Can you tell more detail? :D

Homeoftheben

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 07:44:45 PM »
Sure!

Right before the crash, I was trying to access Pandora. A box came up saying it required an additional 1024k for something (I'm really sorry, I wasn't paying too much attention) and so I clicked yes and Pandora began to play instantly. On restart, however, I get the never ending startup.

Info on the Chameleon build though: When I hit any key to enter the setup page, it says:

Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v2.0 r431
Build date: 2009-04-01 15:17:35
1014MB memory

If I press a key, it shows up below after a boot prompt (i.e. Boot: aldkfj)

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Gringo Vermelho

• Forum Moderator
  • The gray monster energy hat
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 01:42:23 AM »
Chameleon cannot boot from optical drives when it's installed to a hard disk. You need to make a Chameleon boot CD for that.
10.9.5 - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro - i5 3570K - GTX 660 - Chameleon 2.3 svn-r2xxx
How to...
Install Chameleon: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649
Make your own Chameleon boot CD: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,484.msg2131.html#msg2131

Homeoftheben

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 07:15:42 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I made the new Chameleon boot disk, but it doesn't seem to act quite right. It won't ask for my OSX install disk, and the only thing it sees is the corrupted install (located at 81) (80 is my USB key). I have an image of OS X burned to an external USB drive, but none of the hex keys seems to find it (i.e.82, 83, 9f). Any ideas?