overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Apple Aluminium Keyboard at boot on Intel Badaxe 2 Mobo  (Read 26547 times)

Logicpro8_user

• Entrant
Apple Aluminium Keyboard at boot on Intel Badaxe 2 Mobo
« on: May 13, 2010, 01:42:29 PM »
Hi Guys!

Im running a dual boot system (see my sig for specs) Snow Leopard and Windows 7 32bit
I know there has been some talk about the Apple Aluminium Keyboard not being able to use the boot options in Chameleon.

I just wondered if anyone has any more info or ideas to what may cause the Apple Aluminium Keyboard not to be useable at boot? The keyboard I am talking about is the wired version (see photo below)

Some people say its caused by the fakesmc and some people think that a kext would be able to solve this problem.
Some people even thing that its the Intel Badaxe 2 mobo thats it fault.

Any clue to what can be causing this problem? I don't like having to use another keyboard just to boot and it seems like a silly problem that can be fixed.

Any feedback or suggestions would be great!

Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Vanilla, Dual boot with Windows 7 32bit, Intel D975XBX2 Bad Axe 2 Mobo
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6660 Kentsfield 2.4GHz CPU
EMU 0404 PCI Sound Card
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 PCI-E Graphics Card

Superhai

• VoodooLabs
Re: Apple Aluminium Keyboard at boot on Intel Badaxe 2 Mobo
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 11:57:24 PM »
Check USB settings in bios.

Logicpro8_user

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 10:07:45 AM »
Hi,

I have done this also, the badaxe 2 has only 2 options regarding USB setting in the BIOS,

1. Enable USB ports (this is set to enable)
2. USB Legacy Support (this is set to enable)

I didnt mention that the logitech keyboard is fine on boot but the Apple Alu one dont seem to be getting any power at boot, I have tried all USB ports, tried with the BIOS USB settings on and then off. Still nothing....

Very weird..
Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Vanilla, Dual boot with Windows 7 32bit, Intel D975XBX2 Bad Axe 2 Mobo
EMU 0404 PCI Sound Card

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 12:33:35 PM »
I think I have read somewhere that the Apple aluminium USB keyboards require more power than standard USB keyboards. I don't know if that's gonna be any help to you though.
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Logicpro8_user

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 03:00:50 PM »
mmmmm, How would I go about getting more power to the keyboard.....
EMU 0404 PCI Sound Card

Logicpro8_user

• Entrant
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 05:50:51 PM »
I have had a play about with this,

I got it working but only when a non Apple Keyboard is plugged into the same port (Via a USB Hub) or right next to it on the motherboard, But If i plug anything else into any of the USB ports the apple keyboard dont work.

Its like its getting a jump start from the normal keyboard somehow! very weird!!!!!!!

I take it this problem is all down to the apple alu keyboard not having enough power of som sort......

This is a weird one!
EMU 0404 PCI Sound Card

Drule

• Observer
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 05:51:51 PM »
I have the same problem, at least I think it is the same. My Apple Aluminum keyboard (same as yours), doesn't get recognized until either Windows or OSX has loaded. Which means that if I want to enter BIOS settings, change the drive my system should boot from, or use Chameleon, I have to plug in another keyboard :(

I have been told it is due to my system's BIOS not being able to recognize it, but the USB power problem seems to make sense.

I am now looking into using boot.plist options (default drive parameter in particular) in order to change the OS I'm booting into, rather than switching keyboards, then using Chameleon's GUI to do it. However, I don't think I can do this from Windows as it may break the permissions on the plist file - or can I, as it is merely a text file?

Logicpro8_user

• Entrant
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 08:13:55 PM »
I would like to know more about you boot.plist idea,

I have the keyboard working 98% but need to find out for sure how this issue is happening, If I plug it into a USB Hub with another keyboard it works fine. but when I added more USB bits like (WiFi, mouse) it wont work.......

I suspect that Apple Alu keyboards dont draw power out of the USB port like they would do on an Apple computer......
There is power always goinf to the Apple Alu Keyboard (I ran a test)!!!

The test was..

Plug the keyboard into the USB port on the motherboard byt itself...
Plug a USB drive pen that has a LED light on it drive into the Keyboards USB ports (I have 2 UBS on my keyboard, they are at both ends of the keyboard)

Then you will ssee that the USB Pen drive lights us, proving there is power going to the keyboard.....

This is a weird one! we could do with more people involved so we can get to the bottom of it! as it seems like something that can be fixed pretty easily! ;D
EMU 0404 PCI Sound Card

Drule

• Observer
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 08:23:50 PM »
If you boot into Windows, and open the device manager, then open the properties for each of your USB ports, it will display the current power being used. I'll check what mine says over the weekend, I'll also try modifying the boot.plist in Windows to see what happens ...

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 02:56:37 PM »
Hmm I remember some hiccups too some time ago, not in Chameleon but w/ the USB legacy on/off thing while cold booting.

I think I nailed it @ some point but I have to fire up the hack and start checking things again.

(Using the same kbrd that OP mentions)
Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives

Logicpro8_user

• Entrant
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 03:17:06 PM »
Oh great news! would you be able to have a look for us.

I think it might be down to either a driver (Kext) or the DSDP.... maybe not...

I downgraded my Bios,. and the keyboard seems to work ok from time to time.... it work like 80 of the time... but has a lag of about 90 seconds....

check this out. some more info for our cause! 8)

http://www.convertit2mac.com/forum/index.cfm?mainaction=posts&forumid=44&threadid=74
EMU 0404 PCI Sound Card

Logicpro8_user

• Entrant
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 03:21:17 PM »
Just an idea.

I have 2 partitions

1.EFI (Hidden)
2. Snow Leopard

Will the hidden EFI partition contain kexts?, Im not sure as I can get into it.....
I know Chameleon looks at the EFI partition 1st when booting...

a Guy over at convertit2mac.com has a key of these keyboards, updated some of the to the new firmware and kept some at the old firmware...

The old firmware works at boot, and in Chameleon no problem....

The new one don’t work so good!
EMU 0404 PCI Sound Card

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 03:43:22 PM »
You're complicating things now

- I remember hiccups that have to do w/ the said kbrd and its BIOS-based support (or its lack of) before booting any OS/KEXTS
- The EFI partition can hold you Chameleon setup, including KEXTS and other related files
- The link you posted is about other software, if you're using it you should seek advice from the same place

Logicpro8_user

• Entrant
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 03:52:44 PM »
Sorry if its complicating for you.

The link I posted is about the Apple Aluminium Keyboard at boot on Intel Badaxe 2 Mobo not any software

The questions are.

How do I get it to work Or how can I revert back to the old factory firmware 0.34?

Can it be fixed with Driver/Kext in the Extra folder? OR Is it a possibility that the EFI partition can hold a Kext that would make the keyboard work?.

How did you get it to work?

Thanks again for your time. 8)
EMU 0404 PCI Sound Card

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 04:06:54 PM »
No problem, just keep it simple and step by step

We're using different mobos/bios and as I said I have to check w/ my hack to see if my findings are any good for you (and even if they're still working for me)

What kind of firmware are you talking about and where did you get it from? You can always revert back to the old firmware by the same means you flashed the "new" one. You've got a backup right?

Moving this to the BH and let's continue our discussion there. I'll post some screenshots/settings from my hack later and see if its of any help  :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 04:10:34 PM by rocksteady »