overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Apple Aluminium Keyboard at boot on Intel Badaxe 2 Mobo  (Read 26568 times)

Drule

• Observer
Re: Apple Aluminium Keyboard at boot on Intel Badaxe 2 Mobo
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2010, 08:42:02 PM »
Yup, that power button came  in handy a few times when I couldn't get the mouse active. :)

As for my BT MightyMouse, it works perfectly with my OSx86 10.5.7 installation (same computer, I'm test installing 10.6.x on an eSata drive attached to it). So I've been trying to figure out what is different about the IOBlueToothFamily and IOBlueToothHIDDriver kexts that are behaving nicely in 10.5.7 from those that refuse to recognize my mouse in 10.6.x

Of course, having attempted various SL installations on my Pentium D system this past week, without any success, has left me a bit confused as to what worked , what didn't and what to do next. Some sleep will probably help :)

Logicpro8_user

• Entrant
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2010, 02:39:35 PM »
thanks again guys, I will do some more testing in the next few days.
Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Vanilla, Dual boot with Windows 7 32bit, Intel D975XBX2 Bad Axe 2 Mobo
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6660 Kentsfield 2.4GHz CPU
EMU 0404 PCI Sound Card
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 PCI-E Graphics Card

Logicpro8_user

• Entrant
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2010, 10:10:12 PM »
Hi again, been away for a few days. I have done some testing regarding this problem of mine! The install I have is 100% Vanilla installed with retail DVD. Everyting runs 100% rock solid! very fast, apple updates no problem, everythng works fine, sleep, restart etc etc etc.

Only 1 problem...... Apple Alu keyboard dont work at Chameleon 2.0-RC4 OS selector.

1. You mention POST at boot, I take it you mean this sort of thing.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/mainboards/ga-p55-ud6/bios_post.png

I only get an Intel splash logo with "press F2 for setup" like this

http://xtreview.com/images/Intel-DP35DP/Intel-DP965LT-bios-1.jpg

There dosent seem to be any setting in the BIOS to take this off. So I cant see whats being detected at POST.

2. I done some digging about on other forums and found a few interesting things, maybe you can tell me if they could work.

First is the USB Fix. Some people say it might work???????

Code: [Select]
<key>EHCIacquire</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UHCIreset</key>
<string>Yes</string>

Other one is using a DSDT Patch fix... DSDT patch for USB to use native driver.

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
                {
                    Store (Package (0x0f)
                        {
                            "device-id",
                            Buffer (0x04)
                            {
                                0x34, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00  //the values below
                            },
                            "AAPL,clock-id",   // property needed for sleep support
                            Buffer (One)
                            {
                                0x0a   
                            },

"built-in",
                                Buffer ()
                                {
                                        0x00
                                },

"device_type",   //not sure it is useful
                              Buffer (0x05)
                              {
                                  "EHCI"
                              },

"AAPL,current-available",
                            0x04B0,
                            "AAPL,current-extra",
                            0x02BC,
                            "AAPL,current-in-sleep",  // to solve a problem with sleep when stick is inserted
                            0x03E8,

Buffer (0x01)
                            {
                                0x00
                            }
                        }, Local0)
                    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
                    Return (Local0)
                }

DeviceIDs:
Intel
USB1 - 0x2830
USB2 - 0x2831
USB3 - 0x2832
USB4 - 0x2834
USB5 - 0x2835
EHC1 - 0x2836
EHC2 - 0x283a
nForce
USB1 - 0x0aa5
USB2 - 0x0aa7
EHC1 - 0x0aa6

« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 11:03:08 PM by rocksteady »
Snow Leopard 10.6.3 Vanilla, Dual boot with Windows 7 32bit, Intel D975XBX2 Bad Axe 2 Mobo
EMU 0404 PCI Sound Card

Logicpro8_user

• Entrant
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2010, 10:15:48 PM »
Oh 1 more thing. I mentioned that the Apple Alu keyboard in question works 100% fine on my Sony VGN-N38Z Laptop no problem at the Chameleon 2.0-RC4 OS Selector. This latop has the same USB chip as the badaxe 2 and uses the same ICH7R but still the bad axe 2 wont let it work. I have alsp tried only booting with the keyboard and mouse. No luck......

Maybe time to get a new motherboard?
EMU 0404 PCI Sound Card

Drule

• Observer
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2010, 10:25:52 PM »
It is not a Chameleon problem, it is BIOS related. The two patches/fixes you mention will only take effect once OSX has loaded. Doesn't your Aluminum keyboard work once OSX is loaded?

Logicpro8_user

• Entrant
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2010, 10:39:57 PM »
I thought it was BIOS related, It work in windows 100% and in snow leopard 100% just not at boot.
But my other USB keyboard works fine at boot........... Thats a microsoft one.

I wonder how the 2 keyboards differ from 1 being able to work at POST/BIOS and Os selector and 1 does not.
I wonder what Bad Axe 2 BIOS lets the apple keyboard work......

Maybe time to get a new Mobo? I think the intel Bad Axe 2 is a bit dated but works good with snow leo
EMU 0404 PCI Sound Card

rocksteady

• Global Moderator
  • Root Down
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2010, 11:00:45 PM »
1. You mention POST at boot, I take it you mean this sort of thing.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/mainboards/ga-p55-ud6/bios_post.png

Yep that's what POST messages look like

I only get an Intel splash logo with "press F2 for setup" like this
http://xtreview.com/images/Intel-DP35DP/Intel-DP965LT-bios-1.jpg
There dosent seem to be any setting in the BIOS to take this off. So I cant see whats being detected at POST.

Weird, there should be a QuickBoot, Logo, Splashscreen or something similar in your BIOS and an option to enable/disable it. On the other hand, if you searched meticulously, you're SOL

Booter options and DSDT patching will take some homework, it isn't a copy/paste job

Everyting runs 100% rock solid! very fast, apple updates no problem, everythng works fine, sleep, restart etc etc etc.

Only 1 problem...... Apple Alu keyboard dont work at Chameleon 2.0-RC4 OS selector.
Maybe time to get a new Mobo? I think the intel Bad Axe 2 is a bit dated but works good with snow leo

Personally I wouldn't buy a new mobo just to make a particular kbrd play nice with the BIOS, but it's your $, your call.
Stop bitching, start coding or documenting or both..

P5Q-EM : Q6600 : 8GB RAM : 8800GT : SATA Drives

Logicpro8_user

• Entrant
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2010, 11:12:36 PM »
I woulnt get a new mobo just because the keyboard aint playing nice. I do think the badaxe 2 is a bit outdated BIOS wise for snow leo, but it does the job ok.

There must be something going on with this keyboard. I WILL get to the bottom of it! hahaha
was going to buy a apple white plastic on but not sure if that will even work.

I can get my head round this...

1. Sony vaio works with both apple keyboard and microsoft keyboard at boot.
2. Badaxe 2 works with microsoft keyboard and applekeyboard (works like 4% of the time)

I would say that its a BIOS problem but why is the microsoft keyboard working ok...... If it was a BIOS problem the microsoft keyboard wouldnt work either.

the 2 keyboards must have different parts inside of them. I even got a apple USB extension cable for the keyboard as the keyboard usb wire has a weird groove in the USB plug. I though that the weird groove might be missing some of the power of someting, but i was wrong....

I have heard of 1 other badaxe user have this working...... i got in touch with him but nothing back from him. :-[
EMU 0404 PCI Sound Card

Drule

• Observer
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2010, 11:22:04 PM »
It is because the BIOS is geared towards Windows related equipment, not Apple hardware. Which why all the other keyboards work without any problems. Even older Apple keyboards may work (see above), just not the Aluminum ones :(

Which means there is no guarantee that a new motherboard will fix the issue. FYI my MB is an Intel D945GCZ, and it doesn't recognize it.

Logicpro8_user

• Entrant
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »
i understand what your saying, but i had it working (only sometimes) its like its sharing the microsoft keyboard power.
I press the microsoft keyboard caps lock and the apple one lights up also! weird!!!

Maybe I should get over it!

The guys over here http://www.convertit2mac.com/forum/index.cfm?mainaction=posts&forumid=44&threadid=74 are having the same problem, but 1 user seems to thing he has it working ok.......

http://www.convertit2mac.com also have a patched DSDT made for the badaxe2 and it says it fixes some problems..

http://www.convertit2mac.com/forum/index.cfm?mainaction=posts&forumid=3&threadid=31

I know we say that a DSDT wont solve this problem but i wonder what they fixed......
EMU 0404 PCI Sound Card

Logicpro8_user

• Entrant
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2010, 11:33:16 PM »
also a user "buildsmart" reports that he has the same keyboard but on the old 0.34 firmware and it works fine. Mine is at the new firmware that kills this functionality of what we are talking about.

Is there anyway of getting the keyboard back to 0.34 firmware
EMU 0404 PCI Sound Card

Drule

• Observer
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2010, 11:36:59 PM »
When you say you had it working, are you sure it was with Chameleon or at the BIOS screen? Or was it in OSX that it worked? Mine works fine shortly after the kernel is loaded (test it by hitting the CapsLock - once it starts lighting up the system recognizes it).

Logicpro8_user

• Entrant
EMU 0404 PCI Sound Card

Drule

• Observer
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2010, 11:47:16 PM »
Just read the post on that link, which you posted, and BuildSmart was referring to a wireless aluminum keyboard, which is a different animal :)

Logicpro8_user

• Entrant
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2010, 11:48:50 PM »
When you say you had it working, are you sure it was with Chameleon or at the BIOS screen? Or was it in OSX that it worked? Mine works fine shortly after the kernel is loaded (test it by hitting the CapsLock - once it starts lighting up the system recognizes it).

I had it working via when it was plugged into the computer right next to the microsoft keyboard (bith side by side in usb ports) then it worked (sometimes) to get into BIOS and at Chameleon boot selector.

But only some times, never from a cold boot!
EMU 0404 PCI Sound Card