overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Make Chameleon recognize a logical drive?  (Read 3965 times)

xajuran

• Entrant
Make Chameleon recognize a logical drive?
« on: May 16, 2010, 05:32:50 PM »
I have a latitude 2100 netbook. I planned from the start on triple booting win 7, osx, and ubuntu on this machine.  I initially installed win 7 on it, then used gparted to shrink the partition and create an HFS+ partition for the OSX. As I was about to proceed, I then realized that I already had 3 primary partitions, as Win 7 made an extra partition to boot from. I went ahead and made an extended partition with 2 logical drives, one ext2 for linux and one for a linux swap. 

I installed ubuntu and had it working fine. I recently upgraded it to 10.04, and like it alot. Yesterday I installed iatkos 7 to get leopard running on the hfs+ partition, and installed chameleon. It is beautiful, and I am so close to a working triple boot. Unfortunately chameleon doesnt see the ubuntu logical drive. Or if it does, it doesnt recognize it, maybe because I havent been able to boot to it to install grub on the partition since chameleon wiped grub off the MBR. 

I would be happy to remove the boot partition that window 7 made to boot from, if I could find a way to make the NTFS partition that windows 7 is on to be bootable without losing any data. I dont want to reinstall win 7 if I dont have too.

I would rather hide the NTFS partition in chameleon and only make the win 7 boot partition visible, which I see is possible with RC4.  If I proceed this way, I would need to be able to make the ubuntu partition visible in chameleon.

I could, with great loss and sadness, wipe it all, reinstall, force win 7 to one partition, and make it work that way, but I'd like to do it this way if possible.

How do I get chameleon to see the logical drive with ubuntu on it?

zef

• Administrator
Re: Make Chameleon recognize a logical drive?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 12:40:56 PM »
How do I get chameleon to see the logical drive with ubuntu on it?

Your issue has nothing to do with primary/logical partitions. Chameleon will display ext* partition if you have boot loader installed on that given partition.
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 01:22:52 PM »
You can install Grub from Ubuntu Live; Google for "install grub2 from live cd". You can also boot Linux easily with Super Grub Disk.
To get rid of the Win 7 "boot partition", remove it, grow Win partition and make sure it's marked as Active, then use the Win 7 dvd to repair boot; you'll have to repair twice. Works for me.
 System & Patches: http://goo.gl/i961
 Chameleon:
- trunk builds: http://goo.gl/9G1Hq
- pref pane: http://goo.gl/OL2UT

xajuran

• Entrant
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 02:10:47 PM »
THANK YOU.

That is exactly the information that I needed. Going to work on it now.

UPDATE:

Works PERFECTLY. Thank you for your comments and help.  Now to tackle the QE/CI problem with the GMA945 graphics in OSX 10.5.8....
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 05:56:21 PM by xajuran »