Author Topic: [Implemented] GUI extra graphics for selected device  (Read 102738 times)

Enzo

• Resident
Re: [Implemented] GUI extra graphics for selected device
« Reply #225 on: August 12, 2010, 10:37:49 PM »
Hello all, just checking...

-I'm good with the small drive tweaks currently made. I am partial to the current white drive front though, though I don't recall r20h being much different ;-).
-The logo feels somewhere in between to me, I think it's the "detail" in the lizard, maybe it should be fully flat or perhaps just do without the smile. I'd also like to see a typeface that's a tad sharper or maybe lighter.
-Just tested r29, the devices are higher is what I notice. I think it should be centered on the screen. I did notice it has a better distance from the menu, but then again, I don't think many people would be bringing up the menu too often.
-Have you been working on the fonts? I think they look better! Unless it's my imagination =P
-I will see if I can whip up a slightly different logo today ;-)

All I've done today is change the progress_bar_background. I had neglected it when doing progress_bar. They now go much better together. I noticed I went a little yellowish with the menu, so I did the same with the progress_bar, and I think the new device LED matches well with that. Lastly, thanks Azimutz and Terc for the feedback =).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 10:41:36 PM by Enzo »

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #226 on: August 13, 2010, 01:33:51 AM »
Hi Black,
About the led the position, i like it this way, but remember i said "for my taste" on this so, it's no imposition. If it's fine
for everyone, it's fine for me! I also like the color tweak, feels more like a led.
The flat edge is fine, yep :) I also forgot to mention that the color of the logos on the top of the devices are also fine now.
About the fonts, i imagine they are a pain in :P it's probably better to leave them for last.

Hi Enzo,
about this:
-I'm   good with the small drive tweaks currently made. I am partial to the   current white drive front though, though I don't recall r20h being much   different ;-).
all i do is compare them on the Finder (column view->preview) or Preview and
i get that washed out feel about the latest sets. Specially with the led; it's a bit better now with the color tweak but,
to my eye the r20h front still feels better. The contrast is better and the led does feel like it's peaking through a hole.

Now in general:
- i was going to bring up the position of the devices; without the lizard there and when the menu is drawn, feels like the
devices are too low; so, i like the idea of moving them a bit up. How much, i think it depends on the logo!
As it is, feels a bit high, but...
- The logo it's complicated; i'd like to read first what Zef has to say about it.
I was going to say earlier that i could live with the ones Enzo posted, they are more balanced and i kind of always liked
those small Chameleon logos  ;D i even suggested using one of those as device_selection some posts back.

Will wait for feedback...
 System & Patches: http://goo.gl/i961
 Chameleon:
- trunk builds: http://goo.gl/9G1Hq
- pref pane: http://goo.gl/OL2UT

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #227 on: August 13, 2010, 07:12:18 AM »
Checking in again:

• Spent most of the time just trying to work with what we have to put a new twist on the logo. Like Azimutz said, it's tough, a big part of the whole brand identity I was thinking of. We can conceivably spend a lot more time on it than we did on the rest of the theme! So maybe we should open it up to more people, or maybe just seek the proper input. I mean in the end we could end up just having to use the stock one.
  • We could leave the logo as the current default for RC5, seeing as we're all used to it, but trying to give it a spin and "update" it to this theme seems like a challenge for a few reasons. The first being that it's kind of an awkward logo/icon IMO. In the long run, I think the Lizard needs a new design! but this is probably beyond my current PS skills =P.
  • Most of my play with logo design ultimately ended in small versions of the lizard =/. I ended up digging up old ideas from my unfinished Cham2 Tribute theme =P. I've taken a pretty big typeface from it and gave it a slight spin, and combined with our current ideas. It is in the attached Theme files. I am not saying this is what we should go with (prob shouldn't), but I would like to point out a few things I noticed: All that white works really well, adding to the clean feel. The huge typeface gives it a strong presence, and let's it stand on it's own. As opposed to something that's just trying to match the rest of the theme.

Here is the preview: http://kttns.org/yxzdg
-Updated the mockup/preview in the files to reflect the progress_background.png change.
-Also changed the devices position in theme.plist, nudged them down a bit.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 08:33:39 AM by Enzo »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #228 on: August 13, 2010, 10:53:29 AM »
Well done with your continued development and work Enzo and thank again for the feedback Azi :)

However, I've stepped back a bit and had a look a where we are and come up with a couple of thoughts I think need sharing.

• This is the embedded theme for Chameleon and therefore the objective to still to keep the overall file size as small as possible. So anything we do, for example the logo, should ideally be kept simple at least in the terms of file size. And just looking at the current theme files now, since I made the changes to the device LED's in r29, the file size for each device is now 12K and not 8K so that needs to be changed (my mistake).

• There is going to be a second default theme using 3D rendered icons with the rollover effect which will be loaded externally so file size will not be important for that. I know I am creating more work for myself there (and Enzo if he's willing help?)

• The device_selection graphic I think is now incorrect. Purely because the arrows for device & text scroll indicate the user press the corresponding arrow key to make the action. But we don't press the down arrow to boot the selected device.

• I moved the position of the devices up vertically as when viewed at 1024x768 the devices and device names are quite close to the menu, though when viewed at higher resolution, for me 1680x1050, the devices are positioned okay.  I think this is important to think about it as now the booter can be built without an embedded theme, when will the embedded theme be used? If it's used on a bootCD for example, the theme.plist is set to default at 1024x768 and there probably won't be a GraphicsMode boot option specifying higher as it would need to be universal. If anything a smaller resolution might be required for netbook installers? I haven't tried this theme at anything smaller than 1024x768.

That's my rambling for now..  :P
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 11:51:38 AM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #229 on: August 13, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
Just a quick visit, need to fly away...
Enzo, not bad that logo but reading Black's post it's making me think...
Blackosx, rambling registered :) will give it a thought during the day...
Be back later.
 Chameleon:

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #230 on: August 13, 2010, 07:45:48 PM »
Yup, good pointers. Adjusting for 1024x768 is priority.

As for the selection arrow being incorrect:
-Not fully incorrect =P, you can press down, and get boot options. One of them being "boot" (which I always thought was redundant!).

-It does sort of assume the user knows what buttons they can press. It does not imply it directly, but with most simple UI's it's obvious, and relatively safe to assume. I too have played with the visual eye candy of adding "Press Enter" etc, but I feel it adds a bit much, especially when we're trying to keep it simple (Unless we add a navigation legend at the bottom right (as background.png) haha, jk). I don't think the current default is much different in this regard.

-It may be confusing with the left/right navigation arrows, but let's also take into account that most people won't see those. Who have more than the 5 devices that are max_visible? If they do, then they are very well familiar with Chameleon at that point and understands how it works. As a small fix, we could change the look of the arrows. In my mind, I tried to draw the selection arrow to be much cleaner and almost playful towards the idea of selecting a device. The left/right scroll arrows I did not think of modifying as they are just that, simply indicative of scrolling.

I will revisit this later in the day.

Edit: Would it be possible to use No logo for the embedded version of the theme? It kinda makes sense, it's not really there for functional reasons ;-).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 12:34:35 AM by Enzo »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #231 on: August 14, 2010, 09:04:03 AM »
Hi Enzo

Yeah, you're right in that we can press the down arrow to select the menu and then eventually boot from there :)   I still like the navigation arrows as they are so I would vote on keeping those, and I see them on my system (unless I change the devices_max_visible key or use the hide partition boot option) as I have six possible boot partitions  :P

But your solution to the logo problem for the embedded theme is a sensible one and I would go with the option of removing it too especially since I have been talking about saving valuable bytes and here it's kilobytes. Let's see if Zef and the team don't mind?
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #232 on: August 14, 2010, 09:25:53 AM »
Yeah, I mean it could go either way, but putting up for a "vote" makes sense.

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #233 on: August 14, 2010, 10:05:06 AM »
No problem with the arrows here :) and i also have 6 possible boot selections atm :P

Good morning guys.

Another problem with the logo; lowering it's position at the middle of the screen starts screwing with the verbose.
Need to check if it's possible to disable the logo after pressing enter?!

 Chameleon:

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #234 on: August 15, 2010, 10:33:18 AM »
Hi Azimuth.. good point about the logo when viewing the verbose output.. I guess that's another reason against removing it completely? :)

Sorry everyone for my absence in the last few days but I have been busy with family and work events. However I haven't abandoned anything here and have been trying out different styles for the rendered theme. I tried to keep true to the colour scheme of the embedded theme which gave a decent result but the red and green LED's didn't look as dramatic against the white HDD front and the light green background so I have taken a different simple approach for the rendered theme and come up with this:

It's a working mockup to show the device icons in normal and rollover state and device scroll arrows. I have yet to model the CDROM device so it's missing for now. If anybody wants to see how the devices look when used, here's the current embedded theme files set with only above icons replaced and background colour changed.

Note: I haven't abandoned trying to match the colour scheme of the embedded theme and I think it would be great if they both had a similar look. I will look at it again at a later date.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:51:17 AM by Blackosx »

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #235 on: August 15, 2010, 10:55:59 AM »
HI Blackosx!

WOW, grats! :) I'd like to get home and test this sweet package!
I love this high contrast front panel/top combination. Even the perspective looks corrected now :)

Regarding the logo, I would remove all caption from it. A simple filled lizard outline would be enough.
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #236 on: August 15, 2010, 12:35:30 PM »
Hi guys...
Black, removing the logo completely was never an option. It's just a question of size and position. If it ever becomes a
problem for the verbose we can try disabling it after boot starts, like it's done for devices. This is following your ramblings
on 1024x768 and devices position ;)
I'm with Zef on this; one of those lizards Enzo posted, a bit bigger maybe, it's fine for me.
And take your time... i've also been a bit busy and still will be at least this next week.

The renders look fine, but it's too early to start making comments...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 12:46:08 PM by Azimutz »
 Chameleon:

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #237 on: August 15, 2010, 05:39:06 PM »
@Zef - Cool. Thanks for your viewpoint on the Chameleon logo... I am sure Enzo is as happy as I that we can use a solid filled shape :) and yeah the new icons do look lovely - even after all the hard work Enzo and I have put in to the embedded theme do I dare question trying out the embedded theme with similar colours.. (Enzo what do you think?)

@Azimuth - I understand what you had in mind now.. to remove the chameleon logo from displaying after opting to boot the selected device to allow a clean screen for viewing the verbose readout. Good idea :)

To be fair to the embedded theme, here's a preview of the rendered set but in an attempt to match the embedded themes' colour scheme in Cinema 4D:

« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 05:49:19 PM by Blackosx »

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #238 on: August 15, 2010, 05:49:48 PM »
@Zef - Cool. Thanks for your viewpoint on the Chameleon logo... I am sure Enzo is as happy as I that we can use a solid filled shape :) and yeah the new icons do look lovely..
@Azimuth - I understand what you had in mind now.. to remove the chameleon logo from displaying after opting to boot the selected device to allow a clean screen for viewing the verbose readout. Good idea :)

To be fair to the embedded theme, here's a preview of the rendered set but in an attempt to match the embedded themes colour scheme in Cinema 4D:

Guys, you're going to kill me, but Blackosx's previous color scheme wins at the moment imo. I love the neutral overall grey tone and the saturated leds:

I would say don't touch these colours :)
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #239 on: August 15, 2010, 05:51:20 PM »
he he :)
I know what you mean and I did ask myself the same question in the updated post above..
and yeah the new icons do look lovely - even after all the hard work Enzo and I have put in to the embedded theme do I dare question trying out the embedded theme with similar colours.. (Enzo what do you think?)

EDIT: I'll have a go at editing the embedded theme this evening and post back. But I think it would be best if both themes (embedded & rendered) match.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 05:56:10 PM by Blackosx »