Author Topic: [Implemented] GUI extra graphics for selected device  (Read 102740 times)

meklort

• VoodooLabs
Re: GUI extra graphics for selected device
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2010, 02:38:52 PM »
Did a quick test on the changes made by Meklort, breaks on rev 239; theme built with theme embedtheme and no themes folder on booter volume, doesn't load embedded theme.
Nice work, you both!

Whoops, my bad. That was the one scenario that I didn't test (I only tested with the default theme embedded, and with loading a theme with a couple of rollover images). I won't be able to fix it for about 10 hours, but I'll leave it as is and you can just use 239 for now (unless if zef fixes it).
return c ? c : !c;

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2010, 03:39:15 PM »
Zef,

rev 237 passed tests with distinction!  :) everything tested from loading just embedded theme (no Themes folder) to setting diff themes on Boot.plist theme embedded or not... think i didn't missed nothing but, a second opinion is always advised.
Size of embedtheme builds on my working copy of the trunk:
- "default" theme: 356k
- "default revisited" theme, with images from Blackosx branch: 446
- "default" theme with only device_generic: 279  ;D
 This last is as good idea as Blackosx's rollover idea.. not needed but, adds more options and the savings on space may come in handy for some situation; keep it. You can take at least 10k from the numbers above, AutoResolution patch i use takes that +-.

Did a quick test on the changes made by Meklort, breaks on rev 239; theme built with theme embedtheme and no themes folder on booter volume, doesn't load embedded theme.
Nice work, you both!

Azimutz,

Thanks for the deep QA and report! :)

I don't have a chance to jump into the sources right now, but r239 introduced only a different lookup algorithm for checking the availability of embedded images getEmbeddedImageIndexByName() function. So if you say that r237 worked well in the same scenario, then we need to tweak the binary search algo ;)

I remember back when i was working on boot1h code, i had the same fight with the compareHFSPlusCatalogKeys proc.
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

meklort

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2010, 10:05:02 PM »
Revision 247 should be working now, the lookup algorithm has been fixed.

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2010, 10:56:53 PM »
Wow.. more excellent dev work has gone here.. Good work and thanks :)
Sorry I haven't been present much but I have been out mostly all weekend and I've just grabbed a quick 20 mins here to test.

I have just built and done some trials with r247 and can report:

Compiling with make:
A) Booting with a RC4 theme = PASS
B) Booting with a rollover theme = PASS
C) Booting without a theme name in c.a.B.p and without a Default theme folder = NO GUI = PASS
D) Booting without a theme name in c.a.B.p and with a Default theme folder = Loads then from Default folder = PASS

Compiling with make embedtheme: 340K
A) Booting with a RC4 theme = PASS
B) Booting with a rollover theme = PASS
C) Booting without a theme name in c.a.B.p and without a Default theme folder = GUI (using embedded theme) = PASS
D) Booting without a theme name in c.a.B.p and with a Default theme folder = Loads then from Default folder = PASS

So that's a success all round - Great job  ;D
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2010, 11:02:05 PM »
I don't know how useful is this, but you don't need to embed/load any device icons (except the device_generic and its optional _o counterpart) anymore.
Hi Zef, excuse me for not getting this one (it's been a tiring weekend for me), but can you (or anyone else) just explain it to me? or maybe I'll see it more clearly in the morning.. I have to leave now, but I'll re-visit in the morning.

Thanks again Zef & Meklort for your efforts (and Azimuth for his trusted testing) :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:03:46 PM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2010, 02:49:53 AM »
It's in the trunk now :)

@Blackosx:

I'm also very tired by now, i try to explain everything tomorrow! To understand the key behaviour, please inspect gui.c
(http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/source/tree/HEAD/trunk/i386/boot2/gui.c#L299) and take a look at the second arguments for LOADPNG. They are the possible alternate icons for a given image 'slot' in case if a file is not available in the first place on the disk /Themes/<theme> folder, then second in the embedded resources.

PS:

Wish we would have a nice RAID icon:

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2010, 05:22:50 AM »
Hi guys,

seems "tired" is the word, count me in on that :P my brain shut me down after lunch, 14 hours ago.
Tired or not, i've been feeling like a kid in Christmas! :)
Yep, the clues pointed to the binary search algo, that's why i mentioned rev 239 specifically.. i did started testing 241, then reverted to 237 and after checking it, checked 239 to confirm the problem was there.

Checking trunk changes...

p.s.: just leaving a attention call to this, Meklort or Zef:
http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/issues/7/#ic116
Will use this topic for more talk on Mek's patches...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 06:56:31 AM by Azimutz »
 System & Patches: http://goo.gl/i961
 Chameleon:
- trunk builds: http://goo.gl/9G1Hq
- pref pane: http://goo.gl/OL2UT

meklort

• VoodooLabs
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2010, 05:30:29 AM »
I'll take a look and verify that it works correctly (and if not, fix it) later tonight.

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2010, 08:13:52 AM »
Hi Meklort, thanks. I'll make a post on this, on the topic about back porting your patches;
have some other questions to "clear" too :)

Regarding rollover themes, embedding, etc, etc... case closed! :D
Nice work gentlemen.
 System & Patches: http://goo.gl/i961
 Chameleon:
- trunk builds: http://goo.gl/9G1Hq
- pref pane: http://goo.gl/OL2UT

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2010, 08:33:27 AM »
It's in the trunk now :)

I'm also very tired by now, i try to explain everything tomorrow! To understand the key behaviour, please inspect gui.c .....

Wish we would have a nice RAID icon:
• Thanks you very much and very well done. As Azimuth says - Case closed!  ;D
• I'm sure I can work it out by looking at the code.  ;)
• I'll put something together for you on the RAID icon.

Thanks again, and RC5 is looking more polished each day so well done to all the devs here and at InsanelyMac for the seemlingly non-stop work over the last 72 or so hours - Amazing Job :)

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2010, 12:23:32 PM »
• I'll put something together for you on the RAID icon.

Hey Blackosx!

I'd also like to replace the old legacy HDD icon with the new version which has the yellow led. Or how about to use the generic volume icons + add the device type "sticker" to the top (small apple logo, win logo, etc). I think this way we could get the image size reduced below < 10k at 96x96 resolution.

I also wanted to say thanks for the rollover idea! :)

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2010, 01:18:36 PM »
I'd also like to replace the old legacy HDD icon with the new version which has the yellow led. Or how about to use the generic volume icons + add the device type "sticker" to the top (small apple logo, win logo, etc). I think this way we could get the image size reduced below < 10k at 96x96 resolution.
I can do that for you.
Would you like device icons of similar style to the ones in Rocccky's lovely Mac OSX Boot theme, but with the device type label on top rather than floating off to the side?

I also wanted to say thanks for the rollover idea! :)
You're more than welcome.. Just add me to the credits.. ;)  lol

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2010, 01:40:07 PM »
I can do that for you.
Would you like device icons of similar style to the ones in Rocccky's lovely Mac OSX Boot theme, but with the device type label on top rather than floating off to the side?

Yeah, that would be great! Thanks! :)

Something similar would be fine:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,62.msg733.html#msg733

But i love this font (needs some proportion adjustment):

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,753.msg4315.html#msg4315

You're more than welcome.. Just add me to the credits.. ;)  lol

I'm sorry, fixed:

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/source/commit/261/

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
Re: [Implemented] GUI extra graphics for selected device
« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2010, 02:08:45 PM »
Okay.. I'll put something together for the device icons and including the RAID icon too. I'll have a go at a condensed font too for the font_small.png. I'll post back here when I have something.. but it might not be until later this evening, depending on work this afternoon.

And thanks. :)

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
Re: [Implemented] GUI extra graphics for selected device
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2010, 12:04:42 AM »
Hi Zef

I've had a play with some device icons and this is what I have so far.

• Each icon is only 8K in size.
• The colours can of course be changed if desired.
• Are these something similar to what you had in mind?
• What do you think of the RAID icon idea?

I'm logging off for the night, but I'll come back to this tomorrow :)