Author Topic: [Implemented] GUI extra graphics for selected device  (Read 103121 times)

zef

• Administrator
Re: [Implemented] GUI extra graphics for selected device
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2010, 03:30:42 AM »
Nice sortiment, grats! :)

I really like the upper green set of images. Actually I like both sets! :)

Regarding the raid, can't you do a large sandwich alone? I mean the brown raid icon alone.
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2010, 09:07:59 AM »
Stage 2..
To allow for a double height drive for the RAID icon, I have had to make all the devices thinner.. How's this?

10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2010, 12:49:01 PM »
Very nice! :) ... Wondering about what other people would say.

What if using the DVD icon in 2D flat mode? I know it would break this "perspective" concept, but somehow it feels like a U.F.O :)

On the other hand, sacrificing the height just for making all icons' perspective correct was not the best idea of me (sorry). I'm sure that's why you embedded a mini raid sandwich in the first version. How about to put a "RAID" sticker to the left side on the front panel? This way all icons could use the full available height again.

I think i'm not the best candidate for the art director position :P
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2010, 02:08:59 PM »
Hum... i like this new stile, but the first ones Black posted. DVD icon does look like a UFO as it is :D
How about something like the attached for the Raid icon...?
With a decent font in the right perpective, of course and a second led above the existing one. The main idea is the second led, the sticker position just came to my mind now.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 03:28:27 PM by Azimutz »
 System & Patches: http://goo.gl/i961
 Chameleon:
- trunk builds: http://goo.gl/9G1Hq
- pref pane: http://goo.gl/OL2UT

Lord Anubis

« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2010, 02:57:01 PM »
Stage 2..
To allow for a double height drive for the RAID icon, I have had to make all the devices thinner.. How's this?

The raid Icon is indeed very nice. Maybe only the raid icon thinner?

Will this, btw, be Cartri Bios ready?

About the DVD disk, maybe you can get it more flat when the reflection on the disk is more equally spread, not darker on the downright side.
Quicksilver 2002 Case - GB EP45-DS3P - 8Gb Kingston mem. - Q6600 - Asus 7300GT Silent 512Mb - 6 SATA drives - 1 IDE drives ( using F12/Chameleon for booting, not visible in OSX ) - 1 external Sata Samsung DVD - OSX 10.6.8 server retail - Chameleon 2.0RC1 + Cartri Bios

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2010, 08:00:48 PM »
@Zef (Art director)  ;)   and @Azimuth
Thanks for the feedback and now you mention it, yes the CD icon does look like a UFO   :lol: 
I'll make some changes for the RAID icon (good ideas).

@Lord Anubis
Thanks for the thinner drives idea for the RAID icon, I'll consider that too. And the optical disc, I'll re-do :)
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

smith@@

« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2010, 08:07:05 PM »
Beautiful icons, but the green colours :(    I don't know...

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2010, 08:40:21 PM »
Stage 3, Slightly tweaked it to this

@smith@@ - I went with green for 'Chameleon' but it's currently up for discussion so feel free to suggest an alternative :)
Though the green does look okay on grey and a dark blue as the traditional default background.

smith@@

« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2010, 08:51:55 PM »
Hi, icon black lucid with symbols in green? What do you think?

Lord Anubis

« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2010, 09:59:30 PM »

@smith@@ - I went with green for 'Chameleon' but it's currently up for discussion so feel free to suggest an alternative :)
Though the green does look okay on grey and a dark blue as the traditional default background.

The dvd is perfect, for me it is okey when it will be green, however a small note.

It looks like it, the dvd, is joining two nonadjacent vertices ( diagonal, my english is not good )
The upper back side of the DVD is at the same level as the upper backside of disk and the front lower side of the dvd is at the same level as the front lower side of the disk.

That is wrong, the front side of the DVD should be at the same level as the lower front of the HDDisk and the back side of the DVD should be at the same level as the 'lower' level of the back side of the HDDisk.
Meaning the DVD should at the same level as the bottom plate of the HD ( or if you want to have it float you can raise it to the the top ).

But a great job! Hope to use it soon
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 10:03:09 PM by Lord Anubis »
Quicksilver 2002 Case - GB EP45-DS3P - 8Gb Kingston mem. - Q6600 - Asus 7300GT Silent 512Mb - 6 SATA drives - 1 IDE drives ( using F12/Chameleon for booting, not visible in OSX ) - 1 external Sata Samsung DVD - OSX 10.6.8 server retail - Chameleon 2.0RC1 + Cartri Bios

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2010, 11:42:01 PM »
@smith@@ and @Lord Anubis - Thanks for your feedback :)

Now I'm confused as to which I like best?
But I have thought about somehow changing the Linux icon.. but to what? any ideas?

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2010, 12:35:03 AM »
hum... Black, can you do a mockup with the background color used by the theme; and also place one of the UFO's like Lord Anubis suggested, at the top level of the drives, or slightly raised to have more shadow, more floating effect; just to have an idea, please :)
We could also use a "dvd drive" icon instead of the disc?! with the slot and a disc icon on top, maybe?

I like the 2 leds on the Raid icon, but i'm having mixed feelings about the tag.. maybe a font a bit smaller will help? and not centered, more near the bottom.

Will pronounce my self about the colors later, but the black on green is wining...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 12:58:29 AM by Azimutz »
 System & Patches: http://goo.gl/i961
 Chameleon:
- trunk builds: http://goo.gl/9G1Hq
- pref pane: http://goo.gl/OL2UT

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2010, 12:48:19 AM »
I think a double led would be enough for RAID without any label :) Regarding the disc icon, i still get the UFO feeling if it's perspective corrected. Using this mid-gray background color is not the best choice if we're using white fonts on it. The contrast between the 2 shades is not enough, making the text hardly readable. But the original color could be brightened a bit with less bllueish tone :P

... Now i start feeling guilty, i'm afraid Blackosx says "enough" soon and posts a new tiny msg like "FYI" with a psd attachment.

Lord Anubis

« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2010, 02:06:05 AM »
hum... Black, can you do a mockup with the background color used by the theme; and also place one of the UFO's like Lord Anubis suggested, at the top level of the drives, or slightly raised to have more shadow, more floating effect; just to have an idea, please :)
A floating dvd gives shadow and reflections, but I think you can leave reflection out of the way. But be careful with your light source directions. Specially with the black drives, it shows a different kind of square beamed spot light.

We could also use a "dvd drive" icon instead of the disc?! with the slot and a disc icon on top, maybe?
Then I would suggest to use a dvd drive with a slot with an slightly ejected dvd.

I like the 2 leds on the Raid icon, but i'm having mixed feelings about the tag.. maybe a font a bit smaller will help? and not centered, more near the bottom.

Did you 'arc' or 'warp with a bowed bottom line' the text ( RAID )? Don't do that, with this size keep the line straight. The perspective is okay!

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2010, 08:47:18 AM »
Thanks for the feedback Azimuth, Zef & Lord Anubis and Zef, it's okay, I'm not ready to throw the towel in yet and I'm happy to give this a fair crack of the whip :)

I've made the green of the icons slightly stronger and here's a preview of the latest device icons against the original Chameleon background blue:

and also against a slighty more pale background:

and some alternative icons for the optical device and RAID:

I'm trying to find a suitable typeface replacement at the moment and when I do, I'll add that to the previews :)