overdue-scratch

Author Topic: [Implemented] GUI extra graphics for selected device  (Read 102724 times)

zef

• Administrator
Re: [Implemented] GUI extra graphics for selected device
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2010, 01:27:54 PM »
Thanks Blackosx! You're doing a very nice job with these icons, i think we're getting there :)
If you ask me, i would gladly replace the default icons without any further modifications.

I love the RAID label in this first preview, love the slightly adjusted background color in the second (what's the #RGB for it?), and love the rightmost CD icon in the third preview.

What i don't like too much anymore is the selection. It has too rounded corners and the border is too heavy.
The current font is also too bold and too wide. I'd prefer a more condensed typeface.
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2010, 02:34:55 PM »
Ok, i like the RAID tag now! Just one last idea: a diff icon on top; 2 Apple logos slightly overlapped?? :P

Background color, i like the second... a bit tired of blue, though it's my favorite color.

Optical media... well, i like the one Zef pointed out, but now it's throwing it's tong out to me and i might start slapping the monitor because of it  >:( ;D Think the disc sticking out may need some perspective correction??
Anyway, i'd be pretty happy with just the slot and icon on top.

Yeah, we should think of something diff for device_selection. I was thinking about that last night... the thought of a small Chameleon icon above the selected icon came to my mind; maybe just the shadow with some glow around, like back lighted?? The problem is that i never saw such a Chameleon icon that i really liked, but i also never saw one with a glow.
Just an idea, to spice things up  ;D

Thanks for your patience Blackosx!!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 02:39:04 PM by Azimutz »
 System & Patches: http://goo.gl/i961
 Chameleon:
- trunk builds: http://goo.gl/9G1Hq
- pref pane: http://goo.gl/OL2UT

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2010, 03:43:54 PM »
@Zef. Yeah I think we're getting there too :)
The colour of the less blue background is #303038

I've taken on board the latest comments by you and Azimuth and come to this:

For the device selector I like this glow under the icons as it brings a more modern feel, though I can't guarantee how well the selection glow will render in the GUI as I'm still working in photoshop and haven't tested that yet. But when I was working on the device icons for the blackosx_switch theme, I noticed a lot of the glow was lost in the GUI due to the way the images are blended.

The cheeky ejected disc in the optical drive can be reduced or removed if desired (we don't want Azimuth breaking his monitor when he slaps it  ;D) and there will always be tweaks here and there for each persons likes and dislikes, but overall what we have now is clean and efficient with each file being only 8K.

The black version of the icons as smith@@ suggested, and other variations can always be released as a separate theme a bit later.

I will test with the revised device selection graphic in the GUI when I get back to my hack, unless of course we make some changes between now and then with it. And I am still trying to find the exact font to suit this!

But finally, Zef, would you like me to also look at tweaking / changing the other graphic files for the default theme, or are you happy with those?
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Lord Anubis

« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2010, 03:50:41 PM »
Thanks for your patience Blackosx!!
Same from me!

The RAID is beautiful. Maybe as double sized, mean twice as heigh in stead of two drive on top of each other?

The DVD drive with the slided out DVD looks great as idea, but for me with no icon on top, you never know what os disk is inside and it is clear that it is CD/DVD drive. But however like Azimuth writes the DVD needs a better perspective, looks like a drop. Maybe its diagonal again? Also let it slide a little less out.

About the selection - Maybe put the disk on a black/silver square serving plate with a very thin beveled border softened in the same perspective as the icons. Don't know how much space you have in front, I mean how width the selection icon width may be. If you make it very light then you need some reflections too.

The Apple logo needs to be a little flatter.

And what about USB sticks? Is there anyway that Chameleon recognize those?

But it looks great.

Edit. just saw you posting BlackOSX, look great the selection. Looks like what I did have in mind. Also did draw something quickly, maybe you like it about the double height Raid. Dont know you size measurements and what size your drawing in.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 04:01:37 PM by Lord Anubis »
Quicksilver 2002 Case - GB EP45-DS3P - 8Gb Kingston mem. - Q6600 - Asus 7300GT Silent 512Mb - 6 SATA drives - 1 IDE drives ( using F12/Chameleon for booting, not visible in OSX ) - 1 external Sata Samsung DVD - OSX 10.6.8 server retail - Chameleon 2.0RC1 + Cartri Bios

smith@@

« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2010, 03:51:28 PM »

The black version of the icons as smith@@ suggested, and other variations can always be released as a separate theme a bit later.

Oh thanks, i hope ;)   That green colour, brrrrrrrr   :P

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2010, 05:29:40 PM »
Hi Lord Anubis

Thanks for your contribution and I like your idea of a double height icon and Zef asked about a this too few posts back but making a double height icon would mean either reducing all the icons down to allow the double height drive to fit the space, or squash them in to fit. The principal aim for this theme is to stick to a 96x96 pixel grid and keep the file size of each icon around 8K and using larger icons will probably exceed that, unless we maybe lower the image quality.

Having said that, there's no reason why a double height drive can't be added to a separate variation of this theme, does that sound fair? A bit like the black icon variation, or possibly many more that follow?..  When this theme is finalised I will pass Zef the .psd files so they can maybe be included in the source in the trunk.

But let's see what others think as if there's a general consensus for it then I'll reconsider, though please understand I can't please everybody with this.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 05:33:55 PM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2010, 06:46:36 PM »
Fonts....
I think 've found the correct one to go with, but I would just like an opinion of which weight?
Note: I have changed the optical drive to not have the icon on top and reduce the visible part of the ejected disc.

Lord Anubis

« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2010, 09:49:33 PM »
The DVD is perfect!

The font; I think you should decide by yourself with different background colors or a gradient background color.
I like the second and last ( however the third has a better i, t and T then the last ). So my opinion has no value here.
The text will drawn as text or an image? In case of text, is it programmatically possible to stretch the last a few percent in width.

If you put the double height drive's on a different theme is of course okay.
Quicksilver 2002 Case - GB EP45-DS3P - 8Gb Kingston mem. - Q6600 - Asus 7300GT Silent 512Mb - 6 SATA drives - 1 IDE drives ( using F12/Chameleon for booting, not visible in OSX ) - 1 external Sata Samsung DVD - OSX 10.6.8 server retail - Chameleon 2.0RC1 + Cartri Bios

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2010, 10:35:16 PM »
@Blackosx:

The icons are pretty cool now, but the greens are too saturated for me. I loved the first green tones (or the brown in the first raid mini sandwich). I would go with the 3rd font :)

@Lord Anubis:

The fonts gets blended into the screen buffer like any other icons.
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2010, 10:45:46 PM »
But finally, Zef, would you like me to also look at tweaking / changing the other graphic files for the default theme, or are you happy with those?

I don't know to be honest. Personally i don't use the popup box, and i'm fine with the current arrows as well. But feel free to come up with something - if you have anything in your bag, let's see! :)

Ohh I forgot commenting the glow selection. I'm not sure that a slick selection box would be bad ;)

Thanks for the updated stuff, it gets better and better and better! :)

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2010, 11:59:49 PM »
Update..
The font has now been created and I have for re-coloured the icons to a more browny style to show the overall effect (smith@@ will be happy?  ;))  See if you like that more Zef.. I can still change them anytime. And when you say 'a slick selection box', do you mean try something similar to what was used previously, but maybe without the fat white keyline?

I'll return in the morning to see what I can do next..
And tomorrow, I'll look in to maybe tweaking the other graphics.   ;D

Lord Anubis

« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2010, 12:41:16 AM »
Update..
The font has now been created and I have for re-coloured the icons to a more browny style to show the overall effect (smith@@ will be happy?  ;))  See if you like that more Zef.. I can still change them anytime. And when you say 'a slick selection box', do you mean try something similar to what was used previously, but maybe without the fat white keyline?

I'll return in the morning to see what I can do next..
And tomorrow, I'll look in to maybe tweaking the other graphics.   ;D
FWIW, funny, on one display the 't' of the third font is better then on another display connected at the same comp. Strange both displays are the same.

The brown/Brons color is also nice.

I like your plate/dish, maybe a little more floating and with what Zef mentioned about some glow and a thicker, 2 pixel wider plate.
What do you think of, when a selection is made, that the light of the led of the selected disk is green?

Good night.

nesnfsn

• Observer
« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2010, 02:56:30 AM »
Just my 2 cents. I would love the bronze initial images, with double height RAID icon (without apple logo), and the glow effect on the icons when selected.

However, my preference is for an embedded theme with different colored icons for each icon when highlighted by the glow effect for selection. Specifically, I would like to recolor the MS Win to be a rich blue, the Apple to be granny apple green, the Linux to be fire engine red, the DVD to be a highly polished chrome, the Raid icon to be copper, and the Backup Boot could be canary yellow, carrot orange or some other color (not used by the other icons).

My thoughts are to make this sort of a tribute to the AIO Berry Macs that were released several years ago, but not necessarily limiting it to the exact same colors that Apple had used. But, those are just my preferences.

smith@@

« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2010, 08:07:36 AM »
I really like the bronze colour blackosx, more green. I think that it is the best colour for embedded theme.  I want to write other things, but to write in english is complicated and tiring. Too hot for this now, eh! Sorry for this.

Bye..

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2010, 09:03:08 AM »
This is getting nice... my monitor will be safe with this optical drive icon ;D
I like the device selector! Also like this icons color best, but now i don't like the background color.

And guys, keep it as simple as possible; we are revisiting the theme, not creating a new one (i think).
 System & Patches: http://goo.gl/i961
 Chameleon:
- trunk builds: http://goo.gl/9G1Hq
- pref pane: http://goo.gl/OL2UT