Author Topic: [Implemented] GUI extra graphics for selected device  (Read 103251 times)

zef

• Administrator
Re: [Implemented] GUI extra graphics for selected device
« Reply #120 on: July 29, 2010, 11:22:28 AM »
And guys, keep it as simple as possible; we are revisiting the theme, not creating a new one (i think).

Exactly. The goal is to create a smaller but better looking/more consistent default theme.

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #121 on: July 29, 2010, 01:31:59 PM »
Forgot something; i like Lord Anubis "light up when selected" idea for the leds :)
 System & Patches: http://goo.gl/i961
 Chameleon:
- trunk builds: http://goo.gl/9G1Hq
- pref pane: http://goo.gl/OL2UT

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #122 on: July 29, 2010, 07:04:21 PM »
Thanks again everyone for your feedback and it's good to hear various ideas thrown about.

With regard to rollover effects, they won't be included in the embedded booter as the whole purpose of this has just been nicely described by Zef. Therefore, the booter will be able to render a simple clean looking GUI from it's own embedded sources which will serve it's purpose when needed. But let's not forget the revised coding work done to RC5 by Zef and Meklort that now allows the booter to load extra images from an external source. In this case, we can add different additional rollover images in to the default theme folder which the booter will detect and use along side the embedded ones. :)

I like your plate/dish, maybe a little more floating and with what Zef mentioned about some glow and a thicker, 2 pixel wider plate.
What do you think of, when a selection is made, that the light of the led of the selected disk is green?
Hi Lord Anubis, yes, lighting the LED green is a good idea and that's what the rollover concept is designed for.. we can do that in the external device icons that the booter can load. And a slightly different selector can be done too. I have attached below a latest preview of where I am at with three different variations of selector that we could maybe use.

Just my 2 cents. I would love the bronze initial images, with double height RAID icon (without apple logo), and the glow effect on the icons when selected.
However, my preference is for an embedded theme with different colored icons for each icon when highlighted by the glow effect for selection.
Hi nesnfsn, these could maybe be looked at for additional devices loaded by the booter outside of the embedded icons, but that's for another time.

So just to show where I am with this:
I have changed the background to a more neutral colour, but still dark enough for the white text. Adjusted the colour of the devices icons (yet again), reduced the logos on the device icons and adjusted their perspective. I've slightly stretched the font vertically and added a simple idea for some rollover devices which can be added outside of the booter, these only have subtle changes of the drive light changing (I can increase the glow of the drive lights later if desired) and lighting of the optical disc slot. T

There are three variations for the selector to give food for thought, but my next step will be to put these icons in to a complied binary for testing so you can all see the theme working and get a feel for it. I'll post that when I get round to it :)

10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2010, 08:20:53 PM »
I like these smaller icons on top of the devices.
The color of the devices also fits better; we can probably get back to a darker background color with this devices color!?
I'm voting on the device selector in the middle.

About the "light up when selected" thing, i was not suggesting the use of rollover images; just the usual way of doing it, transparency and device selector. Would that work on such a small "hole" (led)?
Anyway, if it's not possible to implement the effect this way, or the result is not satisfactory, i do prefer lighted led even when the device is not selected; gives more life to the icon.

Yep, ultimately we need to see with our eyes on our monitors :)
 Chameleon:

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #124 on: July 29, 2010, 08:31:07 PM »
About the "light up when selected" thing, i was not suggesting the use of rollover images; just the usual way of doing it, transparency and device selector. Would that work on such a small "hole" (led)?
Silly me.. I forgot about that! (Same principle as the bullet theme).. Thanks Azimuth. :)
I'm on it now....
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #125 on: July 29, 2010, 09:51:20 PM »
That's fine ;) i thought of pointing Bullet but forgot it while writing :P
 Chameleon:

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #126 on: July 29, 2010, 10:24:06 PM »
Here's beta1 of just the default theme files I have amended so far, with green LED lights :)  Add them to a current standard Chameleon Default theme folder, replacing the ones already there. Alternatively, there is also a complied binary with the theme embedded for testing, built against r273 (I have included the boot file and cdboot file incase of testing in a VM) .

Note: it's not yet finished and I there are still bits I want to change/improve etc.
Here's a preview image:

« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 10:42:39 PM by Blackosx »

Lord Anubis

« Reply #127 on: July 29, 2010, 10:50:34 PM »
Here's beta1 of just the default theme files I have amended so far, with green LED lights :)  Add them to a current standard Chameleon Default theme folder, replacing the ones already there. Alternatively, there is also a complied binary with the theme embedded for testing, built against r273 (I have included the boot file and cdboot file incase of testing in a VM) .

Note: it's not yet finished and I there are still bits I want to change/improve etc.
Look nice, but I hope you will go back to the stronger visible led's. For me it looks to soft, everything is sharp but the leds are softly.

A question, do you use it on your system with the Cartri BIOS?

Again great job, Blackosx
Quicksilver 2002 Case - GB EP45-DS3P - 8Gb Kingston mem. - Q6600 - Asus 7300GT Silent 512Mb - 6 SATA drives - 1 IDE drives ( using F12/Chameleon for booting, not visible in OSX ) - 1 external Sata Samsung DVD - OSX 10.6.8 server retail - Chameleon 2.0RC1 + Cartri Bios

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #128 on: July 29, 2010, 11:28:26 PM »
Yeah, I'll try to tweak the LED lights , I just need more time to perfect it :)
And for now, I've flashed my mobo back to the standard Gigabyte BIOS .

EDIT: Here's an updated preview with harder edged LED Lights:
(Ignore the fatter typeface at that was something I was testing with).

« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 06:31:02 PM by Blackosx »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #129 on: July 30, 2010, 06:29:44 PM »
I think I've got a bit carried away here...  :-\   

I have tried to knock a decent logo shaped hole in some of the devices to allow for greater effect when highlighted. And although it works, I'm not sure I am happy with the look of some of the devices in the non-selected state?..   The Windows logo is a little bit soft and needs re-doing and the Linux Tux logo looks better than just having the outline, but I don't think it looks as clean as previous icons..

EDIT: I've just booted with this at 1680x1050 and it looks pretty decent (although I only see FAT, NTFS & HFS partitions in my GUI)
 :)

For testing, here are the amended files for adding to a standard Default theme folder. And I have also attached the boot and cdboot files with the theme embedded (albeit with the resolution set to 1024x768).

I don't know if I will refine this style (the hole in the devices) further or stay with beta2 (which was beta1 with the stronger LED lights)... But then I might not have much time this weekend.. I'll check in when I can :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 08:12:41 PM by Blackosx »

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #130 on: July 31, 2010, 06:32:08 AM »
Orange and Green! Great colors! heh.

I must admit that a while ago I got started on a theme that was my tribute to Cham. Unfortunately, I never finished. As you can see in this small screenshot. There are a lot of things wrong, and most things weren't final, but you can definitely get a feel for the direction I was going towards. I wanted something more colorful.

One of my problems was that I was never happy with any logo I could come up with =P. There is also some differentiation among the drives. There were simply a lot of indecisiveness on my part. I also ended up disliking the selection icon, as well as feeling that it could be brighter and much more refined.
Maybe I'll work on it again sometime soon. In the mean time, I'm all for a face lift, and new theme enhancements!

Keep up the great work all!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 09:06:39 AM by Enzo »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #131 on: July 31, 2010, 10:29:50 AM »
Hi Enzo :)

Your theme looks very polished with gorgeous icons and I understand the similarity between that and this with the perspective drives, logos and colours etc.  Well done... (it makes this theme look bland by comparison!) I think you should endeavour to finish it  ;)   Maybe have a look at using Chameleon's new rollover image feature for the selected device?  I look forward to maybe seeing something in the future... 

Back to this theme.. I have given it a small update and re-done the NTFS and EXT3 icons plus re-positioned a couple of items.
New preview attached and a zip file of revised beta4 images.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 10:31:50 AM by Blackosx »

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: July 31, 2010, 07:40:09 PM »
@Blackosx

I'm very happy with the new icons, but the new background color is too bright for me. I thought I give a try using the old background color ;)

Can we adjust the font letter spacing to make the characters more closer similar to your first font previews?

@Enzo:

Very nice gfx :)
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #133 on: August 01, 2010, 09:55:03 AM »
Hi Zef..

Of course.. How this one? (Revised font_small.png attached)

BTW, how do you get the GUI to show your HDD's in the VM?

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #134 on: August 01, 2010, 01:15:43 PM »
Hello guys,

been a bit busy away from computer...
First let me call your attention to a small detail related to all themes; i noticed when using Timeout that the default device shown is not "selected"; Don't you guys think it should be? :)

About the theme...
So, are we going with the latest icons, or..? By latest i mean the ones with lit up logos; they look pretty decent like Blackosx mentioned.
And yes, the background.. i tried the old color but, we could give a try to another one. I've been looking on the "dark orange/brown" range and this #5F2F00 works fine for my taste. How about yours?
 Chameleon: