Author Topic: [Implemented] GUI extra graphics for selected device  (Read 103122 times)

zef

• Administrator
Re: [Implemented] GUI extra graphics for selected device
« Reply #135 on: August 01, 2010, 08:47:15 PM »
Hi Zef..

Of course.. How this one? (Revised font_small.png attached)

BTW, how do you get the GUI to show your HDD's in the VM?

Thanks for the font :) The spacing looks great!

... I added those extra 2 disks in the VM then created a mirrored apple RAID on them, installed retail Mac OS X, then voila :)
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2010, 01:24:18 AM »
Hi Azimuth
First let me call your attention to a small detail related to all themes; i noticed when using Timeout that the default device shown is not "selected"; Don't you guys think it should be? :)
Yes, I see that but after looking at the code, I don't have the knowledge to fix it and show the device as highlighted. (I've still got my learner plates in the C language) ;)

About the theme...
So, are we going with the latest icons, or..? By latest i mean the ones with lit up logos; they look pretty decent like Blackosx mentioned.
Thanks for commenting on the logos with the holes in them. I think they look good but I guess that's for Zef and the Voodoo team to decide?

I've been looking on the "dark orange/brown" range and this #5F2F00 works fine for my taste. How about yours?
I think the background colour is one of those things that will always be down to personal taste, and what ever we come up with, somebody will always prefer something else. The #5F2F00 colour you mentioned looks a bit bright for me (lol) so I've dulled it down to @2B2118  :P

Thanks for the font :) The spacing looks great!
Great! Can we maybe try to get a vote on which style one to go for?  And of course you can change the background colour to whatever best suits ;)

Current Status:
I thought I would consolidate this thread to where it's at and bring all the theme tweaks, revised font etc. in to a choice of two complete themes with the aim of maybe wrapping this up? One with the logo holes in the device icons and one without. So maybe one can be chosen as the final theme? After the previews, I have attached a complete 'Default' theme folder for each.

Preview of device icons without logo holes, showing non-selected and selected icons:

Preview of device icons with logo holes, showing non-selected and selected icons:

... I added those extra 2 disks in the VM then created a mirrored apple RAID on them, installed retail Mac OS X, then voila :)
Thanks for the tip... I'll try to find some time to look in to that L:)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 01:30:00 AM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Lord Anubis

« Reply #137 on: August 02, 2010, 10:41:01 AM »
Hi,

I hope you don't mind my input here.
I like the July 29, 2010, 11:28:26 PM version the most, because of the icon and led lights ( In the off stand it may be less diffusion or blur, more crispy ).

The only remark about that version, is that, as well the Apple logo and the linux pinguin should be more flat.
Meaning the top of the apple should be more smaller.
About the pinguin, to avoid to loose to much detail on the top side, the pinguin should on the feet side some ( two/four ) pixels wider.

Quicksilver 2002 Case - GB EP45-DS3P - 8Gb Kingston mem. - Q6600 - Asus 7300GT Silent 512Mb - 6 SATA drives - 1 IDE drives ( using F12/Chameleon for booting, not visible in OSX ) - 1 external Sata Samsung DVD - OSX 10.6.8 server retail - Chameleon 2.0RC1 + Cartri Bios

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2010, 08:45:37 PM »
Hi Black,

yes, i totally agree with you on the personal taste. In this case i'm placing personal taste aside; that background color was just a suggestion. I like the brown, feels better than the old blue with this icons color and the lizard should feel at home too :)

Regarding the device selection on Timeout, i didn't had time yet to look at the code; i remember that on the rollover themes it should be pretty simple, but don't know how it goes with the other ones?! Need to take a look.. this noob needs more lessons too, much more!!
But i have a solution... oh Zeeeef  ;D

Reading Lord Anubis post, i think he has a point or two, but yeah, we really need to decide on the theme before final tweaks. The only problem i have with the one with the holes, is that it takes me a bit to get used to the look of the icons when they are not selected, because the holes don't get that "depth" feel; else i would vote on it right away!!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 08:49:44 PM by Azimutz »
 System & Patches: http://goo.gl/i961
 Chameleon:
- trunk builds: http://goo.gl/9G1Hq
- pref pane: http://goo.gl/OL2UT

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2010, 11:25:58 PM »
Regarding the device selection on Timeout, i didn't had time yet to look at the code; i remember that on the rollover themes it should be pretty simple, but don't know how it goes with the other ones?! Need to take a look.. this noob needs more lessons too, much more!!

This is an easy todo :)

Reading Lord Anubis post, i think he has a point or two, but yeah, we really need to decide on the theme before final tweaks. The only problem i have with the one with the holes, is that it takes me a bit to get used to the look of the icons when they are not selected, because the holes don't get that "depth" feel; else i would vote on it right away!!

If you ask me, I would go with the "filled" version! :)

I think Blackosx should add a poll to this topic to get a picture about others opinion as well!
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

Lord Anubis

« Reply #140 on: August 03, 2010, 12:17:41 AM »
I think Blackosx should add a poll to this topic to get a picture about others opinion as well!

My thinking too.
If you do a poll, the best way is then to create a few rules to protect yourself from to much input.
Just choices and no suggestions and no requests.
New suggestions are for the next theme, but will ask and collected later.
Give just two or three choices, no more! Not knowing how to do a poll here, do a choice by selection or points ( 5, 3, 0 and at tie brake, the most five's wins )

Just a thought.
DONT forget its your baby! You'r Papa! 8)
Quicksilver 2002 Case - GB EP45-DS3P - 8Gb Kingston mem. - Q6600 - Asus 7300GT Silent 512Mb - 6 SATA drives - 1 IDE drives ( using F12/Chameleon for booting, not visible in OSX ) - 1 external Sata Samsung DVD - OSX 10.6.8 server retail - Chameleon 2.0RC1 + Cartri Bios

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #141 on: August 03, 2010, 08:23:36 AM »
• I like the July 29, 2010, 11:28:26 PM version the most, because of the icon and led lights ( In the off stand it may be less diffusion or blur, more crispy ).
• The only remark about that version, is that, as well the Apple logo and the linux pinguin should be more flat.
Thanks again for your feedback Lord Anubis and no I don't mind at all  :)
• That previous version could be used, though I do like the brighter LED shown in the later preview.
• I also understand your desire to see the logos look flatter, and believe me, I have tried a few times now to correct this and to make the optical illusion just right, though the bottom of the Apple logo being curved makes it harder to see the effect (as it has been adjusted by the same amount as the logo for Windows).

• I like the brown, feels better than the old blue with this icons color and the lizard should feel at home too :)
• But i have a solution... oh Zeeeef  ;D
• The only problem i have with the one with the holes, is that it takes me a bit to get used to the look of the icons when they are not selected, because the holes don't get that "depth" feel.
• Yeah, the brown does work, as does a few colours, but the lizard does feel at home with brown (or green).. Lol  :P
• He He.. good thinking.. it's like when in need, who do you call? 'Zefman'. (I'm thinking of the light beam that they switch on to ask for Batman's help)   :lol:
• I know what you mean.

• This is an easy todo :)
• If you ask me, I would go with the "filled" version! :)
• I think Blackosx should add a poll to this topic to get a picture about others opinion as well!
• Thanks Zef for answering our call for help  :)
• Noted, thank you.
• On it..

If you do a poll, the best way is then to create a few rules to protect yourself from to much input.
Just choices and no suggestions and no requests.
New suggestions are for the next theme, but will ask and collected later.
Give just two or three choices, no more! Not knowing how to do a poll here, do a choice by selection or points ( 5, 3, 0 and at tie brake, the most five's wins )
Well thought out.. Thanks for the input (again) :)

EDIT: Poll created
http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,1538.0.html
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 09:08:38 AM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #142 on: August 03, 2010, 12:07:30 PM »
If I may add my two cents…

I think a redesign of the default theme is a good opportunity to take a bold step, and aim for a more unique look. Something fresh perhaps. Think brand identity. I think it's all too easy to be conservative and stick with the almost black background that we've become used to, not only in the current theme, but in any boot manager/boot screen. Why not stray away from the command line look, and leverage the great visual nature of Cham 2.

Personally, I don't think it takes something extreme (i.e. super bright) to accomplish this. Something well thought out and designed to fit together would command much more presence over something designed to be more flexible. After all, how many of us simply changed the colors of the default theme, rather than switch to a whole new one? I think a complimentary color could go a long way.

Regarding the glow effect:
First of all, I too was once adamant about a sweet glow-only device selection icon, but eventually felt it was more of a novelty that picked aesthetics over function. A device selection icon IMO needs to be obvious, and glow effects in icons are usually very subtle, working the exact opposite way, only adding detail to the central element, i.e. not taking any attention away from it. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think the glow should be the main element in the selection icon. Either it will be too extreme of an effect, or too subtle. It should not take the user half a second to realize that a selected device is one that is glowing. It should just be completely obvious as soon as the second "options" screen shows up.

These are just my general thoughts on it. I do appreciate all the work that goes around here, and the opportunity to voice my opinion! heh =)

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #143 on: August 03, 2010, 02:17:25 PM »
Hi Enzo

The theme changes in this thread started with a simple addition and a modification to the existing theme to give it a simple facelift. Maybe a complete redesign could be considered? We are both not strangers to creating themes and it's great to have your contributions and presence here. I guess it's all down to timings with Zef and the developer team to when they are considering a possible release date for RC5, their opinion on the subject, and of course time for somebody (maybe you or I) to come up with a design. I am however, very busy with other things at the moment that I haven't had that much time to dedicate to themes other than what I have done here, so maybe it could be for you to come up with something?

I know from your posted themes that you like the simplistic style which works well and looks good with the added benefit of a low byte count. And I agree a lovely complementary colour can do wonders, but we also have to remember that going by the most themes viewed in the Theme Park, the popular ones seem to be the one's most resembling Apple's bootloader style.. interesting?

The glow effect for this theme is just an alternative to the previously used round cornered, keylined box. We could use an arrow, a line, box or anything else to highlight the device, but in this case I haven't. It's not perfect and is just something that evolved in this thread (though I guess I have used it on previous themes too). But I don't think it's hard to distinguish which icon is selected with it and looks pretty obvious to me (example).

Overall though, I am positive with this and always welcome feedback here so if you have a couple of theme ideas and then please submit them. One might well become the main default theme, or if not, they will still be worthy contributions for which the user can optionally choose to use :)  Once all the theme tweaks in this thread have been completed, I will most probably release colour variations of it in the Theme Park as further options for users.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #144 on: August 03, 2010, 06:33:55 PM »
Well, i got rid of the stuff that was keeping me away from computer, the weather is cooler.. let's see if i can be a little more productive :)

Blackosx, LoL.. or "who you're gonna call?", The Code Buster  :lol:
Ok, down to business...
- i know now what's "feeling strange" on the icons with the holes; it's not really what i mentioned on the last post, it's more the fact that like this the drives look like they have no bottom, because they end up taking the background color.
Maybe we should leave this to a rollover theme?
By the way, did you noticed that with the size reduction on the images, if we used rollover icons on this theme, we would end up with a theme with the same size as before? smaller in fact, with the changes Zef did. Just a teaser  ;)
- about the stuff Lord Anubis pointed.. can you get a more sharper outer edge for the led? that along with the latest tweaks would make it almost perfect.
The logos perspective.. yep, the Apple logo it's a tricky one because of it's shape. All i'm gonna say on this subject it's that i prefer the Tux logo on the preview Lord pointed out.

Zefman, thanks for coming to the rescue :)

Lord Anubis, anyone with a constructive comment is welcome and that sure includes you :)
 System & Patches: http://goo.gl/i961
 Chameleon:
- trunk builds: http://goo.gl/9G1Hq
- pref pane: http://goo.gl/OL2UT

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #145 on: August 03, 2010, 08:57:02 PM »
:-)

In it's current state, the theme has taken some significant positive steps. I think what it needs right now is for the Chameleon team to settle on the right default colors, for the drives and the background. Separate complimentary colors. When I was working on my Cham2 tribute theme, I asked myself, what could Chameleon's official colors be? =P Maybe the Cham team can ask themselves that. These are colors that could be implemented into the Chameleon Home Page ;-). Possibly colors they can see themselves sticking to, and refining down the road.

I think the reason apple-like themes are the most popular because when people first get started with OSX86, they want the full experience, an emulation if you will. We've all been there =P, but I don't think we can really just copy what Apple does (in terms of grey on grey). 

Edit:
I think implementing some green makes a lot of sense. If not in the drive colors, then perhaps as accents on the OS icons on the drives or possibly the background. Though green feels a little harder to work with, so maybe something subtle. Nevertheless, something in the drives needs to counter all the subtle grey tones, and stand out a little more.

I read a few posts back and I have also thought of making a new Linux icon! =P Sometimes it's difficult to work with it, seeing as it's designed to include depth, while the other two are flat outlines. Perhaps it's possible to represent these icons with a small cham twist to them? heh. I do agree the drives shouldn't have holes, they do seem lacking when not selected.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 05:46:21 AM by Enzo »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #146 on: August 04, 2010, 09:25:45 AM »
Hi Azimuth

or "who you're gonna call?", The Code Buster  :lol:   
Like it :)  he he

• it's more the fact that like this the drives look like they have no bottom, because they end up taking the background color. Maybe we should leave this to a rollover theme?
• By the way, did you noticed that with the size reduction on the images, if we used rollover icons on this theme, we would end up with a theme with the same size as before? smaller in fact, with the changes Zef did. Just a teaser  ;)
• I know the poll is only one day old but I think we can make the decision to stick with the icons without holes. It's fine with me and I agree that the non-selected icons look wrong. And yes, the rollover functionality will offer a better solution to that style.
• Yes I did.. great eh?   The default theme folder here comes in at 250K with rollover icons against 254K for the original default theme folder! :) 

• can you get a more sharper outer edge for the led?
• i prefer the Tux logo on the preview Lord pointed out.
Yes, I am sure that can be done, and so do I :)

Hi Enzo

I think what it needs right now is for the Chameleon team to settle on the right default colors, for the drives and the background. Separate complimentary colors.
Thanks for coming back with more good constructive ideas. I agree a type of 'corporate style' is important for consistency across the range and would give a brand identity. Maybe we could help with some suggestions?  A voodoolabs logo already exists with grey/black, light blue/purple and the chameleon image is green/brown. That should give a good start as I don't see the voodoolabs logo changing?

• I think the reason apple-like themes are the most popular because when people first get started with OSX86, they want the full experience, an emulation if you will.
• but I don't think we can really just copy what Apple does (in terms of grey on grey).
• Good point and I agree.
• Again I agree. Grey can look effective but we see and live in a world of colour so why not use it? You can probably tell that just by looking at some of my previous themes.

Edit:
I think implementing some green makes a lot of sense. If not in the drive colors, then perhaps as accents on the OS icons on the drives or possibly the background. Though green feels a little harder to work with, so maybe something subtle. Nevertheless, something in the drives needs to counter all the subtle grey tones, and stand out a little more.
Green is my favourite colour and that's why I went with green icons originally here, plus it also complemented the original default theme's blue background. I like your ideas and am getting excited thinking about where we can get to.. But with regard to keeping file sizes small, a larger colour colour palette might cause a problem?

• I read a few posts back and I have also thought of making a new Linux icon! =P
• Perhaps it's possible to represent these icons with a small cham twist to them? heh.
• I do agree the drives shouldn't have holes, they do seem lacking when not selected.
• The Tux image is so different from the others that yes, it's harder to work with but it is an established recognisable logo. A simple monotone image would be better and allow a lot more flexibility but what can be used to encompass the whole Linux world and each distro in one image?  The obvious option for me would be the word 'LINUX' ? or possiblt abbreviated to 'LNX' ?
• I like the idea of a small cham twist.. maybe somehow use the silhouette of the voodooloabs icon?
• And yes. I think it's apparent that no holes is best :)

So in the spirit of open source, let's open up this theme too.
I think the device icons from this preview should be the base to work from, so I have attached a zip file of the PSD files I've made for you and others to work with and tweak together :)

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 10:07:22 AM by Blackosx »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #147 on: August 04, 2010, 11:38:10 PM »
@Enzo.. after our quick discussion, I have found a little time to try to implement the voodoolabs logo colours on to the device icons and polish them a little. What do you think to these for a work in progress? (and they're still only 8K each) :)

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 11:46:04 PM by Blackosx »

Terc

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #148 on: August 05, 2010, 01:24:43 AM »
Wow!

I like those.  Set with the right background, they could make a killer theme.
Also, as much as I like Tux, the Linux text just plain looks better.

Tux is simply too complex of a logo for this look.

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #149 on: August 05, 2010, 02:20:11 AM »
Sorry guys, i'm very busy with other things, but how about this small change regarding the timeout screen? :)

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/source/commit/302/

@Blackosx:

I very like these new icons and this background color as well but the blue/purple? colors are too saturated imho. I know these are the default voodoo colors, it's too harsh for my taste. Also like the simple "Linux" caption and the dark grey front of the devices. Wish this new set can be combined with the brown/gold colors used before :)