Author Topic: [Implemented] GUI extra graphics for selected device  (Read 102739 times)

Enzo

• Resident
Re: [Implemented] GUI extra graphics for selected device
« Reply #150 on: August 05, 2010, 03:02:26 AM »
Currently having a go at some color experimentation. =P

@blackosx
I like the added detail in the drives! but right now I'm partial towards the idea of Chameleon having it's own colors/logo/feel. The Cham logo/colors could definitely take the place of the Voodoo Labs imagery on the drives, and really drive the theme's consistency. =)

Also brainstorming logo ideas right now, If I pull anything off, I'll report back.

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #151 on: August 05, 2010, 08:19:04 AM »
I like those.  Set with the right background, they could make a killer theme.
Also, as much as I like Tux, the Linux text just plain looks better.
Thanks Terc.
Just throwing some ideas about with Enzo. The brainstorming should give some interesting ideas to build upon.

Sorry guys, i'm very busy with other things, but how about this small change regarding the timeout screen? :)
http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/source/commit/302/
No need to apologise Mr. CodeBuster ( :lol:), that fix seems to work just fine. Thanks Zef (man)

I very like these new icons and this background color as well but the blue/purple? colors are too saturated imho. I know these are the default voodoo colors, it's too harsh for my taste. Also like the simple "Linux" caption and the dark grey front of the devices. Wish this new set can be combined with the brown/gold colors used before :)
Don't worry.. all will come together in the end.. Let's just wait and see what happens over the next day or two ;)

I like the added detail in the drives! but right now I'm partial towards the idea of Chameleon having it's own colors/logo/feel. The Cham logo/colors could definitely take the place of the Voodoo Labs imagery on the drives, and really drive the theme's consistency. =)

Also brainstorming logo ideas right now, If I pull anything off, I'll report back.
Yeah the detail on the drives helps them feel less flat and I think I can add more yet. I'll keep my eye out for a colour scheme you come up with and we can apply it to these newer icons. Good luck with the logo :)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 08:22:12 AM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #152 on: August 05, 2010, 12:52:50 PM »
Zef, perfect man ;)

Well guys, due to the recent developments i have some suggestions...
How about we keep Default theme as is, just tweak the stuff Zef had in mind, images size, add Raid, font,..?
Raid could be something like two smaller hfs icons, one overlapping the other... whatever...
Default would still be the default theme for embedding,
and then you guys can create a new theme, from scratch? :)
On a long run we can even promote a contest...
 System & Patches: http://goo.gl/i961
 Chameleon:
- trunk builds: http://goo.gl/9G1Hq
- pref pane: http://goo.gl/OL2UT

infoMatt

• Entrant
« Reply #153 on: August 05, 2010, 04:18:21 PM »
Hi guys! my first post to this forum...
Wouldn't be nicer for the FAT and NTFS icons to add both a Windows flag over them (like the actually done NTFS one) and distinguish between filesystem with a front label like the Apple RAID one?
Possibly make the same with the various Linux File system? Makes sense?

Great work guys.. I'm planning to use it as my bootloader also without a Mac OS installed  ;D

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #154 on: August 06, 2010, 09:32:35 AM »
Well guys, due to the recent developments i have some suggestions...
How about we keep Default theme as is, just tweak the stuff Zef had in mind, images size, add Raid, font,..?
Good point Azimuth, I have gone off on a tangent (again) with this :)

Wish this new set can be combined with the brown/gold colors used before :)
Here you go Zef :)
It's the purple preview icons, but in browny colours with the green LED lights all sorted on the background shown in the preview. I have attached a complete Default theme folder ready to go if you want to use it.

I'm doing this now as we've seen how easy it is to get caught up with tweaks here / changes there etc.. which results in a long process without you having a theme. And as Azimuth wisely said, Enzo and I can continue to develop another theme in due course.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 09:36:57 AM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #155 on: August 06, 2010, 09:39:51 AM »
Wouldn't be nicer for the FAT and NTFS icons to add both a Windows flag over them (like the actually done NTFS one) and distinguish between filesystem with a front label like the Apple RAID one?
Hi infoMatt and welcome to the forums :)
Thanks for the post and I'll add your points on the to-do list for future themes.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 12:07:08 PM by Blackosx »

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: August 06, 2010, 01:15:15 PM »
Here you go Zef :)
It's the purple preview icons, but in browny colours with the green LED lights all sorted on the background shown in the preview. I have attached a complete Default theme folder ready to go if you want to use it.

I'm doing this now as we've seen how easy it is to get caught up with tweaks here / changes there etc.. which results in a long process without you having a theme. And as Azimuth wisely said, Enzo and I can continue to develop another theme in due course.

Hi Blackosx,

Many thanks for your efforts! What if we would silently replace the icons in the trunk with this set? ;)
I'm thinking about keeping the old theme as "Legacy" for ppl who don't like such radical changes at the surface :)

... Be back later this evening. The FAT cache is still not perfect and there are many interesting changes floating around in the various branches (Azi, meklort, danielkza). I think we need another topic for discussing the merge process.

Have a nice day!

Bye,
zefman :P
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #157 on: August 06, 2010, 01:28:35 PM »
What if we would silently replace the icons in the trunk with this set? ;)
I'm thinking about keeping the old theme as "Legacy" for ppl who don't like such radical changes at the surface :)
Yes to both. It'll be interesting to hear reports when someone discovers the different icons :)

I think we need another topic for discussing the merge process.
For discussing what changes to bring to the trunk from separate branches?

zefman :P
Good to hear you didn't mind the joking around :lol:

infoMatt

• Entrant
« Reply #158 on: August 06, 2010, 03:03:59 PM »
Hi infoMatt and welcome to the forums :)
Thanks for the post and I'll add your points on the to-do list for future themes.
Thank you ;) good job!

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #159 on: August 06, 2010, 06:00:38 PM »
One thing I've been wanting to do for a while is to have 3D rendered images in a theme and make use of the advanced lighting etc. which would give a lovely effect with rollover themes. Well today I've been playing with a demo version of a 3D package and for my first attempt I tried to create a device_hfsraid image.. Here's what I have :)

Don't pick holes in it please as it's just a mess-about thing (and because I'm using a demo version of the software it's save-disabled, so this will be a one-off, well until I have to reboot at least!)  But on the result of this trial, I might just have to get myself a full 3D package and try to learn how to use it properly and set about creating a full set of 3D accurate images ... Something for the future  :P

UPDATE:
Well I have given it another go today, and this time I have tried a different, full 3D package which I can now save with :)
After spending some time modelling a drive, I have produced a couple of small device_icon sized renders at different angles and this is what I have.

I think it's going to take me some time to get it just right, but I think I can eventually make a full set  ;D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 12:35:04 AM by Blackosx »

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #160 on: August 06, 2010, 07:13:40 PM »
Wow  :o now, that 3D stuff would be refreshing  ;D

Going to try the new theme... will be back later for comments...
 System & Patches: http://goo.gl/i961
 Chameleon:
- trunk builds: http://goo.gl/9G1Hq
- pref pane: http://goo.gl/OL2UT

blackx86

• Entrant
« Reply #161 on: August 07, 2010, 03:23:25 AM »
Hi but where is the new theme?   If i make an embed theme, it is the old embed theme? My wrong? 

Also, when the new stuff in branch Azim, danielska, meklort will be merged with the official trunk, because so it's a bit "not much useful"

Thanks

azimutz, great work with eye candy.. but what cham we can use?  chazileon or cleancut?   Too much cham means too much confusion
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 06:25:34 AM by blackx86 »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #162 on: August 08, 2010, 08:21:17 AM »
@blackx86
A new suggested theme was posted here. It's something for Zef to use, for now, to give the embedded build a smaller overall size and the GUI a cleaner, more uniform look.  Only if Zef updates the files in the trunk will you get an embedded build with it in and there's no immediate rush to do this.. (unless you donwload the trunk, replace the files yourself and build the binary).  :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 08:25:42 AM by Blackosx »

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: August 08, 2010, 12:59:16 PM »
Only if Zef updates the files in the trunk will you get an embedded build with it in.

@Black3D:

Just replaced the icons with your stuff:

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/source/commit/327/

And how about this background color? ;)

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/source/commit/328/

(decreased the brightness from 33% to 25%)

Grats for the 3D renders! :)
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #164 on: August 08, 2010, 07:38:09 PM »
Nice one Zef.. Just downloaded and built it.. Works great. :)
Hope it meets a majority approval for now, but good idea keeping the original theme as a legacy option.

And sorry to go OT again, but i am beginning to love this 3D stuff..  Here's a larger render of the small icons I posted previously just to show how gorgeous it can look.  8)

« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 07:40:45 PM by Blackosx »