Author Topic: [Implemented] GUI extra graphics for selected device  (Read 102727 times)

zef

• Administrator
Re: [Implemented] GUI extra graphics for selected device
« Reply #165 on: August 08, 2010, 08:30:46 PM »
And sorry to go OT again, but i am beginning to love this 3D stuff..  Here's a larger render of the small icons I posted previously just to show how gorgeous it can look.  8)

Indeed it is! :) How about rotating/scaling into the same perspective/viewing angle as the current default icon set? :)
With the shadows it may fit into a 96x132px box. What is this software btw?
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #166 on: August 08, 2010, 09:48:48 PM »
That's my aim :)
But it won't work exactly as I imagined as the icons we have been working with are pseudo 3D and the angle of the front face can't be achieved in true 3D. So if I try to look down on the icon more, the face is lost.. (see example)..
So I might move the RAID wording to the top, and maybe the lights too?..

EDIT:  the software I'm using for this now it Cinema 4D.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 10:56:16 PM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #167 on: August 08, 2010, 09:54:29 PM »
That's my aim :)
But it won't work exactly as I imagined as the icons we have been working with are pseudo 3D and the angle of the front face can't be achieved in true 3D. So if I try to look down on the icon more, the face is lost.. (see example)..
So I might move the RAID wording to the top, and maybe the lights too?..

Can't you decrease the FOV somehow or move the camera into a position where the leds/label can be visible?
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #168 on: August 08, 2010, 10:17:05 PM »
To give you an idea of how an icon set might look, I made this one earlier, but I might have cut down the reflection / green glow too much.

10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #169 on: August 08, 2010, 11:12:09 PM »
I know I'm quite late here, but here are the colors I was settling on with the given resources: http://kttns.org/m0y2q
You may notice:
It seems we converge at very similar colors. Orange I always liked as a complement for Cham, as my unfinished Cham theme uses it a lot, though it a very bright way. Green makes perfect sense, so I tried to implement it a little more here. Maybe we should push on with them and better define a unique look.

One is a much fresher look, and IMO the direction Cham should go in. The other is significantly darker, and about as monochromatic as I can handle (but again, would not prefer). I'd hate to see good design simply be dulled down =/.

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: August 08, 2010, 11:14:58 PM »
To give you an idea of how an icon set might look, I made this one earlier, but I might have cut down the reflection / green glow too much.

Superb, I buy it! :) Wish the field of view can be decreased to reduce the perspective feeling a bit.

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #171 on: August 08, 2010, 11:20:19 PM »
Superb, I buy it! :) Wish the field of view can be decreased to reduce the perspective feeling a bit.
I'll see if I can reduce the perspective somehow.

@Enzo, you're top one is lovely. Thank you :)
Zef, what do you think about adopting that colour scheme?

On a side note, I was just playing with different coloured LED's for on and off.. I know the icons are dark , but it lets the light effects come to life...

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #172 on: August 08, 2010, 11:34:04 PM »
I'll see if I can reduce the perspective somehow.

On a side note, I was just playing with different coloured LED's for on and off.. I know the icons are dark , but it lets the light effects come to life...

Cool! Now I miss the ambient noise of the server room :)

@Enzo: I love the first one too :) But using such bright background color makes the verbose output less readable. Maybe a dark console font would do the trick.

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #173 on: August 08, 2010, 11:54:02 PM »
The console font is dark, seeing as it's the same as the one in the menu. Though I did forget to change the devices font to the same dark color =P (rather like it white now hah).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 02:20:09 AM by Enzo »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #174 on: August 09, 2010, 12:11:58 AM »
Cool! Now I miss the ambient noise of the server room :)
Lol

Well Zef.. I think you have a lovely set of icons based around Enzo's colour scheme which can be considered as a possible final theme?

Or I can try to emulate Enzo's colour scheme in a set of 3D icons?..  providing of course Enzo would be happy if I did that? (@Enzo, I have taken your colour scheme and quickly tried to apply it to the 3D look. Would you be happy if I went ahead and made a set of icons based around it? If so, I will try to tweak it more tomorrow..)

But either way, I think we are getting very near to having a lovely fresh theme.. :)
BTW, Enzo, did you get anywhere with a logo from your brainstorming session?

Anyway, I have to go to bed now. So I'll pick this up in the morning. Bye

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #175 on: August 09, 2010, 12:37:54 AM »
Yes, you may use the scheme as you wish =).

I did come up with two good ideas for a logo, I will try to produce some rough sketches soon...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 02:19:27 AM by Enzo »

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #176 on: August 09, 2010, 06:37:01 AM »
azimutz, great work with eye candy.. but what cham we can use?  chazileon or cleancut?   Too much cham means too much confusion
Hi Blackx86,
the answer is short.. in case of doubt use the trunk!! ;)
The rest would take a long answer and it's not the place... check the progress on the repo for now.
Thanks.

Guys, about the theme... after seeing this, what can i say!?
I really hate being limited by size on this :(

Going to rest my bones... long ugly day.
Later...
 System & Patches: http://goo.gl/i961
 Chameleon:
- trunk builds: http://goo.gl/9G1Hq
- pref pane: http://goo.gl/OL2UT

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #177 on: August 09, 2010, 11:58:18 AM »
Yes, you may use the scheme as you wish =).
I did come up with two good ideas for a logo, I will try to produce some rough sketches soon...
Thanks Enzo, and I look forward to seeing what ideas you have for the logo.

Guys, about the theme... after seeing this, what can i say!?
I really hate being limited by size on this :(
Yeah I know... The only option for this could be.... (see below)

@Zef..
For the option of embedding the theme in the booter, how about we stick with the nice clean simple icons that are either in the trunk now, or use the adjusted colour scheme (which I really like) provided by Enzo? The reason I say this is because a 3D rendered device icon with lighting and shadows will be larger than 8K which sort of goes against the idea we had for this.

Then I look to provide a set of 3D rendered icons which make use of the rollover effect, which could then be included in the artwork folder as maybe an external 'default' theme folder to showcase one of RC5's new features?

I know this would mean having two default theme styles, but it will give the best of both which is:
• One simple, lovely and clean, uniform, small theme for embedding.
• One fully rendered rollover theme using larger icons with lighting and shadows for a bit of eye candy.

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #178 on: August 09, 2010, 12:11:46 PM »
@Zef..
For the option of embedding the theme in the booter, how about we stick with the nice clean simple icons that are either in the trunk now, or use the adjusted colour scheme (which I really like) provided by Enzo? The reason I say this is because a 3D rendered device icon with lighting and shadows will be larger than 8K which sort of goes against the idea we had for this.

Then I look to provide a set of 3D rendered icons which make use of the rollover effect, which could then be included in the artwork folder as maybe an external 'default' theme folder to showcase one of RC5's new features?

I know this would mean having two default theme styles, but it will give the best of both which is:
• One simple, lovely and clean, uniform, small theme for embedding.
• One fully rendered rollover theme using larger icons with lighting and shadows for a bit of eye candy.

Okay, we can go this way. We need Enzo's theme package then :)

@Enzo: Can you attach your theme linked above (the bright version) please?

Thanks,

>zm< :P

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #179 on: August 09, 2010, 12:20:52 PM »
Great. I think it's the best way. :)

@Enzo, did you actually make a complete theme based on your colour scheme or was it just a mock up? If not, I could adjust the photoshop files I have here for the devices to match.

Also, in the image you posted, I see the clean menu doesn't use any small images beside each option. I like that and it would also mean a smaller overall embedded theme size!..    but it would mean there's no way to identify certain options aren't available for a non-hfs partition. (For example, booting in Single-User mode when selecting an NTFS partition).

I wonder if the code can be changed in the GUI to remove those options from the menu and redraw it, if a non-hfs partition is highlighted?  Can we call on the code buster again? Zef man would it be possible?  :P
I'm just look at drawInfoMenuItems etc. now.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 12:38:43 PM by Blackosx »