Author Topic: [Implemented] GUI extra graphics for selected device  (Read 102699 times)

zef

• Administrator
Re: [Implemented] GUI extra graphics for selected device
« Reply #180 on: August 09, 2010, 12:58:11 PM »
I wonder if the code can be changed in the GUI to remove those options from the menu and redraw it, if a non-hfs partition is highlighted?  Can we call on the code buster again? Zef man would it be possible?  :P
I'm just look at drawInfoMenuItems etc. now.

Sure, since these options have effect only on native bootable filesystems, we can't pass options to foreign OSes.
Let me check the source :)

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #181 on: August 09, 2010, 01:13:01 PM »
Thanks Zef.. I'm sure you can do it far quicker than me and get it right!. I've had a look and I guess it will have something to do with only drawing infoMenuItems[1-3] if infoMenuNativeBoot is true, but correctly implementing it might take me a while (if I can even do it that is)  :P
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 01:23:52 PM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #182 on: August 09, 2010, 02:00:19 PM »
Well, it was just a mockup!

However, I've gone ahead and quickly made the simple adjustments I made, to your provided psd blackosx. Files are attached here. I wanted to tweak a little more, but only minor things that probably aren't worthwhile messing with heh. I also adjusted the progressbar and scroll arrows accordingly. Lastly, I went ahead and generated the font files. As for the lack of menu icons: I just didn't include them =P. I did want to make my own to match the theme better if you guys approved of it.
Note: I haven't tested any of this =P.

I suppose I could put the theme together, but I gotta go to bed!  ;D and just for reference, here are all the colors I used and a preview of the new progressbar/arrows: http://kttns.org/otc5m
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 02:05:42 PM by Enzo »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #183 on: August 09, 2010, 02:13:05 PM »
Hi Enzo

Well, it was just a mockup!
Thanks for coming back.. but don't worry about creating the theme as I've already started adjusting the current default theme to match your lovely colour scheme :)

This is where I am currently at, thought I might tweak the colours of the LED's in the device_selection.

But now, I see your attached files.. Thanks, I can move with these and get it sorted :)
Unless of course you would prefer to do it yourself?

« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 02:19:02 PM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #184 on: August 09, 2010, 02:19:49 PM »
Lastly, I went ahead and generated the font files. As for the lack of menu icons: I just didn't include them =P. I did want to make my own to match the theme better if you guys approved of it.
Note: I haven't tested any of this =P.

What if we would have a common check mark for the verbose, etc menu options? Regarding the console font I still prefer a monospace version. A proprortional font makes a hex dump and other debug info unreadable.
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #185 on: August 09, 2010, 04:59:34 PM »
Okay.. I've put together all the elements for a revised default theme using Enzo's colour scheme.
I have stuck with the current font_small.png and used the original Chameleon font_console, but changed it's colour to brown.

What if we would have a common check mark for the verbose, etc menu options?
@Zef - I have used the same menu icon for booting each menu option. So if we go with the option of modifying the source for the GUI to remove the un-necessary menu options when highlighting non-hfs partitions then we can do without six further graphics saving a further 24K for an embedded theme build :)

I haven't actually booted with the theme as I am not at my hack at the moment, but if you want to try it, I will upload it. I've uploaded it here for testing. If the background colour needs adjusting then maybe it can be tweaked slightly, I'm sure Enzo won't mind. (Correct me if I'm wrong Enzo ;))

Note: Then attached theme doesn't include the menu_ignore_caches/disabled, menu_single_user/disabled, menu_verbose/disabled graphics. So it ideally needs revised code.. Zef, am I right in pre-empting that's what's you had in mind?

Here's a mockup showing all the elements:

« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 05:18:13 PM by Blackosx »

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #186 on: August 09, 2010, 05:38:29 PM »
Guys, about the theme... after seeing this, what can i say!?
I really hate being limited by size on this :(
Yeah I know... The only option for this could be.... (see below)
Yep, that's more or less what i was suggesting, some posts back...
By the way, changing the old Default theme to Legacy was a good idea :) better than mine, of tweaking the theme and still use it!
I like the latest "brainstorming"!.. Also like the the color scheme Enzo posted, the light one you guys are betting on... in fact i like it more than the one on the repo  ::)
Be back later to check progress... see if i can do some work on the branch; when ever i start, something comes up  >:(

p.s.: upps, missed the updated post :) like it. Will test...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 05:41:28 PM by Azimutz »
 System & Patches: http://goo.gl/i961
 Chameleon:
- trunk builds: http://goo.gl/9G1Hq
- pref pane: http://goo.gl/OL2UT

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #187 on: August 09, 2010, 05:48:21 PM »
.. Also like the the color scheme Enzo posted, the light one you guys are betting on... in fact i like it more than the one on the repo  ::)
p.s.: upps, missed the updated post :) like it. Will test...
I agree, Enzo's colour scheme is cleaner than the one we currently put in the trunk. So if this modified version works then we'll get that in the trunk instead :)
Thanks for testing it out and I look forward to hearing your report. I will test it later this evening..
Then once we have a final theme for the embedded build, I can then set to work on a 3D rendered theme :)

P.S. Good work with the code cleanup going on in your branch.

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #188 on: August 09, 2010, 07:08:51 PM »
@Zef - I have used the same menu icon for booting each menu option. So if we go with the option of modifying the source for the GUI to remove the un-necessary menu options when highlighting non-hfs partitions then we can do without six further graphics saving a further 24K for an embedded theme build :)

Note: Then attached theme doesn't include the menu_ignore_caches/disabled, menu_single_user/disabled, menu_verbose/disabled graphics. So it ideally needs revised code.. Zef, am I right in pre-empting that's what's you had in mind?

Hey Blackosx! Very cool progress again with Enzo's scheme :)

Regarding the verbose/disabled/etc icons I think we need to implement a similar fallback mechanism as we did for the device icons. The issue here is we don't have a mandatory "generic" icon which can be used as a default device icon.
My idea is to look for a new optional icon called "menu_checkmark" (proposing a better name is welcome) before loading other menu icons and if we got it, then the later coming menu icons could be fallback to this new icon. It wouldn't be too ugly to implement and it would still compatible with the original theme files. I'll check what can we do with the infomenu elements.

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #189 on: August 09, 2010, 07:38:54 PM »
The way I thought it could happen is that we no longer use a menu graphic for verbose, single user, ignore caches or their disabled counterparts. So when highlighting an HFS partition, the 'menu_checkmark' (that name's as good as any) is used for all the 'Boot' options in the menu, and when highlighting a non-HFS partition we just remove the visible options from the menu.

See example attached:

So this way you shouldn't have to implement a fallback mechanism, just have a mandatory 'menu_checkmark. (I think?) :)
And with regard to existing themes, all that will happen is the menu graphics for verbose, single user, ignore caches or their disabled counterparts won't be used.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 07:41:05 PM by Blackosx »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #190 on: August 09, 2010, 08:54:36 PM »
I have tested the revised theme on my display and I found I had to darker the background slightly, which in turn meant I had to change the font_console back to white, which in turn meant the menu_selection graphic had to become darker.. . So I've made a few tweaks.. (Hope you don't mind Enzo).. But it looks better on my display here.. 

Maybe we could get feedback from others between the previous theme I posted and the revised one I'll attach here?

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #191 on: August 09, 2010, 08:58:51 PM »
blackosx, is this due to the fact that it boots without a color profile? I too have noticed many monitors are overly bright and washed out during boot =/. What I always do is try to correct it in the images and the color selection.

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #192 on: August 09, 2010, 09:27:26 PM »
Absolutely.. I try to compensate for it with my themes too.

The last theme I posted looks lovely on my screen, can you try it on yours and see how it looks at your end? and if you want to make an adjustment to some of the colours then please let me know. Thanks Enzo :)

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #193 on: August 09, 2010, 10:08:53 PM »
blackosx, is this due to the fact that it boots without a color profile?
Yep, i was about to mention this, Enzo. I totally get that washed out feeling on my monitor, speaking in general.

Blackosx, the slightly darker background helps with the device_selection.. was getting lost.
The only remarks i have for now are the font (i was digging the dark one) and still the leds, specially the leds; if needed i'm ok with ditching them or draw them always lit up, if it helps!?
Aah... and the Windows logo, needs to be a bit darker to match the others.
That's it, the rest is pleasing! Even the idea for the menu icons.

And thanks for the heads up on the branch :) will give it a good kick this night... i hope.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 10:12:32 PM by Azimutz »
 System & Patches: http://goo.gl/i961
 Chameleon:
- trunk builds: http://goo.gl/9G1Hq
- pref pane: http://goo.gl/OL2UT

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #194 on: August 09, 2010, 11:03:18 PM »
Thanks for the feedback Azimuth.
I'll look at this again in the morning :)