Author Topic: [Implemented] GUI extra graphics for selected device  (Read 102714 times)

Enzo

• Resident
Re: [Implemented] GUI extra graphics for selected device
« Reply #195 on: August 10, 2010, 06:39:44 AM »
Tediously tweaking the theme right now, trying to get it as close to the mockup as I can. Just about there... I will upload here when I'm done.

I have swapped out the font files. Using a new monospace font for menu/console ;-). I think they both look better. The devices can only be preliminary, still using the previous psd's =P (mainly going for color here and trying to adjust for washed out look during boot). I also think the shadowing could use some improvement, and I may be with Azimutz on ditching the drive led holes =O. I'm also whipping up some quick menu icons to match better for testing purposes.

Oh, and in theme.plist: separated the devices out a tad, and dropped the logo down a bit.

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #196 on: August 10, 2010, 08:27:41 AM »
Hi Enzo

If you want the main PSD I worked on yesterday then here it is.
Yeah, the drive LED's no longer work with a green background, so go ahead a fill them in.
The font_small we are currently using is because Zef was originally looking for a more condensed typeface.

I look forward to seeing your revisions. :)
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #197 on: August 10, 2010, 08:59:03 AM »
BUG REPORT:

@Zef - I have found a bug with the latest build.

When using a build without an embedded theme, and booting without a 'Default' theme folder, the booter drops me in to the command line which is great. But pressing TAB tries to draw the GUI which fails miserably ending in a crash!

Can you fix it mr Code Buster? :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 10:45:39 AM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #198 on: August 10, 2010, 09:10:28 AM »
Here you guys go, a fully composed theme this time =P. Not final for me, but does present the general idea. Also included the psd for the devices icons, adjusted to counter the washed out look @ boot (for reference). It currently mimics the mockup rather well, with all the adjustments I made, at least on my display heh. More feedback is prob necessary to see if corrects the issue enough for most people (try it!). Also added some quick/temp menu icons. Thanks for the psd blackosx, I will play with them, and try to add the voodoo overlay, and now remove the led's. Feel free to tweak and present your take on it =), but first...

Some notes:
I wanted to compose the whole thing to better give you guys an idea of what I was aiming for, which is why I stuck with the original color scheme. I do realize all the colors are somewhat toned down. This color scheme was my way of not going too bright. It was my take on simple, contrasting color that would complement the simplicity of the design. I think it's this minor lack of color that gives me the feel of a bootloader (I also didn't think anything brighter would go over well =P). Not unlike how all boot screens lack color. Oh, and I felt it matches better with those few elements that work best with really dark colors, i.e the menu/console font (given the brighter background).

I did experiment with more orange-ish drives, but I felt it was too similar to the default "external" drive icon in OS X. I wanted to avoid this for the sake of staying unique.

That is all. The files within the theme are color-coded =P. Green: Possibly final?. Orange: I'd like to tweak further. Grey: I didn't touch. Here is more or less what it looks like: http://kttns.org/du4zg
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 09:48:00 AM by Enzo »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #199 on: August 10, 2010, 10:45:09 AM »
Thanks for re-working and posting the revised files Enzo - Good job.
Unfortunately I can't give it a running test until later this evening as I am at work now.

I agree with you in that we don't want a too similar device icon to the default 'external' drive icon, that's one reason why I coloured the front face to take it way from the original white. But the white does look much cleaner ;).. And now you have the PSD files I posted, would you have time today to add the voodoo overlay to the devices? as that it will help move away from the original look too. if not, let me know and I can try to do it today.

Is the font_console.png in the attached theme folder the same as in your preview?, as it looks like the original Chameleon default one I was using but with different kerning? And what are your thoughts on using a more condensed typeface for the font_small?

And, good idea with the colour coded finder items, it will help tick off the finished files. We're getting there and I hope we'll soon have a completed embedded theme that we can put to bed.  ;D

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #200 on: August 10, 2010, 10:57:08 AM »
Thanks =)

I'm off to bed, I will have a go at it tomorrow. Otherwise feel free. The font_console isn't the same as in the preview! haha. I got lazy and didn't want to load the font into PS =P. The font I got from here: http://cl.ly/1vNv. A more condensed typeface for font_small sounds good to me! I pretty much always just went with the default spacing in cizko's fontmaker tool (which was always too spaced out for me. I had trouble going tighter, but if we can do it, then that will look better. What I usually do is go bolder, so I can go smaller with text, and have it appear slightly more condensed. The current font_small is myriad-pro-bold, 10pt.

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #201 on: August 10, 2010, 01:47:13 PM »
BUG REPORT:

@Zef - I have found a bug with the latest build.

When using a build without an embedded theme, and booting without a 'Default' theme folder, the booter drops me in to the command line which is great. But pressing TAB tries to draw the GUI which fails miserably ending in a crash!

Ok, this is an easy fix, will do it when I get home in the evening.

@Azi:

I think this is not the best place to discuss this topic, but...

I'm sure that removing the first "/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist" entry from the loadOverrideConfig() is not a good idea. I saw you're using the "config" option instead, but without specifying this key, the booter won't load the boot.plist from the selected partition's Extra folder. The /Extra folder contents on the selected partition should have the highest priority at all times, then comes the bt(0,0) and other folders.

So +1 for taking account an explicit path for the config override and -1 for removing the first /Extra/boot.plist entry :)
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #202 on: August 10, 2010, 04:34:05 PM »
Ok, this is an easy fix, will do it when I get home in the evening.
Great to hear it's an easy fix.
Is it's just as easy to change the menu behaviour? ;)

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #203 on: August 10, 2010, 06:52:21 PM »
@Enzo

To follow up where you left off, I have taken my PSD here and changed the colours of the device icons to hopefully match what you did, whilst keeping the voodoo overlay. I have used the PSD file I had here as it had sharper images for the NTFS and Apple logos.

I have also completely removed the green LED's from the device_selection and LED holes from the device icons, replacing them with the original small yellow light for all drives. I cleaned up the PSD file a bit too. That's all I've managed to get time to do today.

Please find attached the PSD's (device icons, device scroll and device selection) and the revised theme folder with the replaced graphic files, making green the device icons and device selection. If you want to make further changes, can we use the PSD's from this post? thanks.

I still haven't been home to test it yet to see how your colour revisions look on my monitor, I will hopefully get a chance in maybe 2-3 hours time :)

Regards
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 06:54:31 PM by Blackosx »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #204 on: August 11, 2010, 12:08:45 AM »
@Enzo

I have had time to try out your revised files and changes which I had collected in to the previous post r20g. There are some things that I have changed since and now attaching a revised set of files - r20h.

• The brown of the devices is slightly darker than I had thought it would be, but I have got used to that and all the colours now.
• The font_console needed tweaking with a shorter space character, reduced leading and I have tried to cheat a bit of bold to it :)
• The Chameleon logo I have put back to the previous colour green as it didn't look right somehow, and I have re-positioned it at the higher level as for me, in the new position it was just floating somehow.
• I have a problem with the device_selection and don't like it so I have come up with a new idea, but I feel it might be a bit gimmicky and not professional enough.. Can you let me know what you think and maybe if you come up with something else better suited then please share ;)
• I also made the device_scroll images taller by adding empty space below to make them sit higher and more central with the device icons.

I think that's it, hopefully you'll see it all if you test it.. :)

Well, it's my time for bed now, so I'll check back in in the morning.

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #205 on: August 11, 2010, 12:13:04 AM »
I was just noticing that the devices may be a little too dark, and needing a little more orange =P, @ boot that is. I will try to adjust ever so lightly. As for the logo, I wasn't too concerned with it, simply adjusted to see how it could possibly match better. I'd suggest/prefer a logo revamp, so I will get to work on my logo ideas hopefully sooner rather than later.

As for your revision, I will test soon and post back.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 12:16:05 AM by Enzo »

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #206 on: August 11, 2010, 02:31:44 AM »
Great to hear it's an easy fix.
Is it's just as easy to change the menu behaviour? ;)

Hi Blackosx!

Here is the fix for the GUI + TAB key crash:

http://forge.voodooprojects.org/p/chameleon/source/commit/351/

The menu behaviour it's not that easy, but let's see what can we do :)

... will test the latest icon set tomorrow, very nice job guys :)
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #207 on: August 11, 2010, 07:46:08 AM »
Didn't get a whole lot of time to work with it, but I did manage to tweak the drives, again =P. I took your last rev 20h, and tweaked, uploading everything. The files are color-coded similarly ;-).

• The brown isn't as dark anymore. Went back to what I had originally, and this time color corrected via a simple brightness/contrast adjustment layer on the main part of the drive. Also added new led's. Slightly bigger, so had to space them out a tad for the raid version. These drives look pretty final to me. If I were to nitpick, I would say maybe we can pick apart the voodoo overlay, there are parts that may take away from the clean surface of the drive. Oh, I did flip the overlay, I think it better complements the original lighting... maybe... hah.
  • The font_console looks good, still better than the default I think, but I think I lost some crisp-ness, prob due to the bold-ness? Either way, I'd be fine leaving it like this. font_small for me looks too skinny, and maybe too sharp? Could use some softening, maybe go bolder/smoother?
  • I need to get around to creating a logo =/
  • I agree we should ditch the glow. I like what you did, it's simple and matches well, but perhaps we can do without the added depth (in other words, maybe the depth can complement the depth in the drive better). I will play with it a bit and present what I come up with.
  • Nice move on the scroll arrows, I definitely felt I was neglecting them =P
  • Did you reset the device icon spacing? It seems too tight for me
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 08:10:56 AM by Enzo »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #208 on: August 11, 2010, 08:21:49 AM »
Here is the fix for the GUI + TAB key crash:
Cool.. Well done Zef.. I'll try it now   (UPDATE: Lovely.. No more crash - thanks mr Code Buster  ;D )

Hi Enzo
Thanks. I'll try it now :)   

UPDATE:  Nice work..
• Yes we can say the device icons are final. Love 'em. Let's tick them off the list.
• font_console is slightly soft, mostly when viewed on top of the lighted menu_selection, but it's perfectly readable and good enough to leave as it is. (Could be a possible re-vist but not entirely necessary).
• font_small does look slightly skinny now you mention it, I have the PSD for that so I'll fatten it slightly.
• I understand what you say about the device_selection. Maybe we could extend the 'boot ticket' from the bottom of the devices using the same plane as the devices?
• Yes I did reduce the icon spacing to 25, as I thought your spacing at 40 was slightly large, shall we compromise with maybe 35?
• The logo I am happy with and we can always leave it alone for the sake of getting this theme finished. But if you did come up with something then we can always look at it?

Well done with the work Enzo. I'll look at adjusting the font_small now :)

UPDATE:
I have repositioned the device_selection at the bottom of the devices (I like it but I'm still not sure it looks professional enough?) and re-done the font_small.png (a lot better).
New files attached, and also an embedded theme binary built against r351 for quick testing.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 09:25:45 AM by Blackosx »

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #209 on: August 11, 2010, 12:11:53 PM »
Looks great =).

• font_small looks great! I'd be fine leaving this as is, but I was kinda hoping for a smoother looking font which is why I was trying Myriad Pro Bold. Though this current one is more condensed which I like!
  • I see what you're saying about device_selection, I'm thinking we should keep it simple and relatively flat. I was experimenting with a few objects, but I keep coming back to a simple arrow pointing down haha. I also think it gives the theme a nice flow logo->arrow->devices->menu where as the "ticket" kinda comes between the device and the device name. Nevertheless, will experiment a little more tomorrow.
  • the menu icons I will also try to whip them up into shape tomorrow.

I'm off to bed, everything else looks good to go.