overdue-scratch

Author Topic: [Implemented] GUI extra graphics for selected device  (Read 103042 times)

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
Re: [Implemented] GUI extra graphics for selected device
« Reply #210 on: August 11, 2010, 12:42:09 PM »
This is good news.

font_small looks great! I'd be fine leaving this as is, but I was kinda hoping for a smoother looking font which is why I was trying Myriad Pro Bold. Though this current one is more condensed which I like!
Let's leave it as it is then :)  Completed.

I see what you're saying about device_selection, I'm thinking we should keep it simple and relatively flat. I was experimenting with a few objects, but I keep coming back to a simple arrow pointing  down haha. I also think it gives the theme a nice flow logo->arrow->devices->menu
Okay. I agree to keeping it simple. So are we saying a simple arrow pointing down above the devices? I'll see if I can do that today.

the menu icons I will also try to whip them up into shape tomorrow.
I'll leave that to you then ;)

So to pinpoint where we are, all files are signed off except the following files which need finishing:
• 10 x small menu icons (the menu selection is done) - though there might only be a need for 4 files here if Zef can manage to change the menu?
• device_selection
• text_scroll_next / text_scroll_prev (maybe tweak a little).
• I think we should also add the thumb.png and extra info to the theme.plist to support the Lizard app :)

Great :)...  then it will just be down to the Voodoo team's approval?  :P

EDIT:
I have made the following changes:

• Revised the device_selection to being an arrow above the devices.
• Re-made the device icon .pngs as I wanted to move them down to allow the arrow above them.
• Moved up the bottom LED on the RAID icon by 1 pixel (not shown in preview) to make the file the device fit 8K rather than 12K.
• Tweaked the text_scroll_next / text_scroll_prev images to match the device_scroll ones.
• Added Blackosx & Enzo names to the theme.plist to fit the Lizard app.
• Created a thumb.png for the Lizard app though it's 12K so it shouldn't be included it in the actual embedded theme?
• Adjusted the device_icon_spacing to 35 in the theme.plist
• Added line breaks in the theme.plist to aid readability for separate relevant sections.

I have also had a crazy idea for use of the logo within this theme!..  it's to have it larger, but greyscale and very light in the top right hand corner. The idea is to still include the logo but for it not to detract from the device icons in the centre of the screen. I haven't included it in the actual theme files but it's in the attached archive (and it's smaller at 16K). Is this a silly idea?

Reduced preview at 800px wide to show the device selection and crazy logo idea:

EDIT: Just amended the attached archive as the theme.plist in the theme folder had a missing < which meant you would get a Memory Allocation error if using it. (Sorry)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 07:59:37 PM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #211 on: August 11, 2010, 08:26:54 PM »
How about another idea for the logo? only 4K

Embedded theme build binaries built against r351 attached for quick testing :)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 08:35:24 PM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #212 on: August 11, 2010, 10:35:51 PM »
Quick tweaks:

• Changed the device_selection arrow. Maybe it needs more space between itself and the drive, similar to the space between the drive, and the partition's name? Otherwise content with it if you are.
  • Adjusted the mockup to better reflect what it looks like for me @ boot. For posting purposes.

As for logos, I like the smaller one with text, though it could use some refinement. I think part of this is due to the lizard =P. It's just sort of floating there... it's the twig it's on! but then it doesn't make sense without out it... I think in the long run Cham should have a much more 2D logo.

Anyways, that's all I did in these files, will have a go at the menu icons and maybe logo real soon.
EDIT: after seeing your second logo, I quickly thought of this(Now in the mockup psd). I think it matches a little better, but I don't know if I really like it.: http://kttns.org/xntnk
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:13:40 AM by Enzo »

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #213 on: August 12, 2010, 12:36:01 AM »
I think I want to like it =P
but still, maybe the styling isn't a great a match to the rest of the theme: http://kttns.org/taxzm
Now to focus on the menu icons ;-)

Edit: Almost done with r25 files, will post soon.

Edit: Here ya go.
  • Re-did the mockup/preview for posting purposes, I think it's more representative of what we (I?) see at boot.
  • Also, made some new menu icons, and touched up the progress bar ever so slightly. Menu icons don't have to be final, but they look pretty good to me.
  • How's the arrow selector positioning for you? At first I thought it was a bit too close, not so sure now.
  • The last logo I posted is in the theme as well, for testing purposes? I'm not partial to it at all however.

I liked how the disabled verbose/singleuser/ignore icon plays out @ boot. When you toggle between an HFS/NTFS device, it looks like the "display" turns off =P.
Click for larger preview:

« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:06:51 AM by Enzo »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #214 on: August 12, 2010, 08:00:45 AM »
Morning Enzo - It looks like you've been busy by looking at the posts... well done. :)
I'll download the files now and report back.

UPDATE: Well my friend.. I think we are almost there :)

The menu icons are lovely, great job!
However, I'm not too sure on the logo.. I like the Chameleon roundel logo, but it might look better in white? and I personally prefer the typeface, position and size of the one I did  :P   How about a compromise and combine the two?

Also if I can nitpick (for the sake of getting it just right)....
• There's an odd bulge in the top of the device selection arrow (probably a result of scaling).
• As you said before, maybe a little more space can be added between the arrow and the device icons?
• I think the device_scroll / text_scroll icons can now also mimic the look of the device selection arrow with a dark outer stroke.

So I think if we can make those last changes.. then we have a Go Go Go!!!  ;D

Shall I make those changes now?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 08:17:17 AM by Blackosx »

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #215 on: August 12, 2010, 08:37:47 AM »
I'll get on that bulge!

The logo was just what I thought of when I saw yours =P. I also didn't bother to adjust the positioning. Feel free to adjust the logo as you'd like. If you want to just round off =P the lizard on yours then I think it'll be solid. The only thing that stood out for me was the transparency? I think it should all be solid for consistency. =)

I'll have a pass at the scroll arrows if I get the time tonight.

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #216 on: August 12, 2010, 08:49:55 AM »
Hold on Enzo.. I've done the device selection arrow :)
Just working on the scroll arrows now and I'll have a look at the logo soon.. I went with transparency to just let the eye focus on the deivce icons and not take over, but maybe keeping the logo white but smaller will have the same effect..

Update:
Sorry about that, but I didn't want you to do something that I had already done ;)
New files attached - I've revised the device_selection arrow and re-done the device_scroll and text_scroll arrows. If you want to change them then go ahead, but I think they fit the theme style well.

Just the logo now.. I'll have a look at that a little later.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 09:22:27 AM by Blackosx »

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #217 on: August 12, 2010, 09:24:59 AM »
heh, thanks! I don't think I would have worked on it anymore tonight though ;-). Will check out the new files and report back in the morning.

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #218 on: August 12, 2010, 09:26:24 AM »
Good morning guys,

you busy beavers, can you slow down a bit so i can feedback?? :P back in half an hour or so...

p.s.: to late... now will take a bit longer...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 10:36:01 AM by Azimutz »
 System & Patches: http://goo.gl/i961
 Chameleon:
- trunk builds: http://goo.gl/9G1Hq
- pref pane: http://goo.gl/OL2UT

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #219 on: August 12, 2010, 10:15:29 AM »
heh, thanks! I don't think I would have worked on it anymore tonight though ;-). Will check out the new files and report back in the morning.
:)  Okay. I might hopefully have a revised logo by then for you to look at.

you busy beavers, can you slow down a bit so i can feedback?? :P back in half an hour or so...
Hi Azimuth (Chief tester)
I look forward to hearing your feedback.. (hopefully positive as we're near completion)  ;)

Azimutz

• VoodooLabs
  • Paranoid Android
« Reply #220 on: August 12, 2010, 12:45:01 PM »
Hi Black,

yep feedback is positive! Ok, so without further delay :)
Been looking most of the night (and now morning) at the latest moves, r20h to r26...

Device icons:
- comparing the set on r20h with the rest, the brown area is much better now, but the "front panel" was better on r20h.
The led still has no presence. How about you guys use the slightly darker front from the r20h?
Just the front, the rest is fine.
- A small detail; check the attached pic.. the pointed spot at least needs to be rounded.
- Also, for my taste; the led should be moved a bit to the left; take the dvd drive icon as example
and place it half way between the end of the slot and the side?

The fonts, just some pointers:
- font_small is fine for the purpose.
Just want to mention something i've been noticing; a little test using it as font_console showed a problem i've been
seeing on other fonts; the spacing gets messed up to the point were some characters overlap the others,
while printing the files loading,etc...
- font_console is not bad.. no overlapping but, spacing still seems a bit weird. The m/M needs some care..
some other characters seem faded, v/V to x/X for instance.

The rest:
- color balance feels fine
- menu, if i try very hard ;D i'd say the '>' could be a bit smaller. Nice set Enzo!
- device selection.. distance is fine now. Finding it too simple.. don't know, need more time.
- device scroll, seems fine. I like the rounded arrows, that's for sure.
- the logo... will leave that for later. Black, no BIG lizard.. it gets scary :P

Think that's it. It's getting fine... will not please everyone but, that's normal!
Chief tester will be back later :) recharging batteries...

Zef, read ya... yep not the best place. Let me finish committing the main stuff to CleanCut and
then we'll talk about this, maybe create a topic like you suggested.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 01:19:32 AM by Azimutz »
 System & Patches: http://goo.gl/i961
 Chameleon:
- trunk builds: http://goo.gl/9G1Hq
- pref pane: http://goo.gl/OL2UT

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #221 on: August 12, 2010, 01:58:37 PM »
Hi Azimuth, many thanks for the feedback but apologies as I can't read it all right now as I am about to go out.. But I will when I get back a bit later :)

I'm just quickly posting what I have worked on with the logo, and after many ideas / attempts I have come back to where we currently are but a bit cleaner. I am very happy with this and I don't think there's anything else I can come up with which looks as clean and simple without detracting away from the main theme. So this is what I have:

Updated files attached:

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #222 on: August 12, 2010, 03:57:52 PM »
Hi Azimuth - Just to follow up on your great feedback and thanks for doing so.

I have made amendments to the LED colour and position on the devices, and also corrected that flat edge you have pointed out - But I want Enzo see it also before we make it final to make sure he concurs.

As for the fonts... they're a pain in the butt to get just right!  :P   I'll try to have a play with them tonight...

I have attached a new archive (r28) and one of the devices to show the changes:

EDIT: After looking at the fonts again, I think the spacing and readability from them is generally very good and I don't see any issue here when booting in verbose mode and reading the output from Chameleon. But I do agree the V,W and X are a little weak. But I am inclined to maybe leave them as they are (at least for now anyhow).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 10:03:54 PM by Blackosx »

Terc

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #223 on: August 12, 2010, 07:47:26 PM »
This sounds like an odd thing to pick out, but I _really_ like those arrows.  The theme is coming along very nicely guys.

What about an embossed look for the chameleon logo?  The colors might lend very well to that sort of style. Just an idea.

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #224 on: August 12, 2010, 10:07:07 PM »
Thanks Terc :)
And embossed logo could work, I haven't tried that but I guess we could say that the current two-tone chameleon logo in this r28 is sort of embossed?.. 

I have made a couple of tweaks to the theme.plist and attached r29.