Author Topic: [Implemented] GUI extra graphics for selected device  (Read 102725 times)

Enzo

• Resident
Re: [Implemented] GUI extra graphics for selected device
« Reply #240 on: August 15, 2010, 10:38:13 PM »
So the rendered theme will be the default for people that don't only use the embedded theme, i.e. no Themes in /Extra folder?
Just curious =P.

As for the colors in the rendered, too neutral for me. As for the rest, well as Azimutz said, probably too early to comment.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't have a problem with the themes not matching, if you guys were to go that way, but nothing wrong with experimenting =P.

Right now I'm trying to improve (I think =P) on the simple Cham outline logo, with no text.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 12:06:22 AM by Enzo »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #241 on: August 16, 2010, 09:40:32 AM »
Hi Enzo

Chameleon RC5 can be compiled with or without an embedded theme. Of the set of Chameleon files, the stage 2 boot file has to be within a max. size limit, so when it's complied with an embedded theme it needs a compact set of theme files to keep the overall final size of the binary as small as possible, leaving maximum space for code and new features etc.  whilst still being within the max size limit. This is what we have now and it looks great with a fresh clean and consistent look.

So the rendered theme will be the default for people that don't only use the embedded theme, i.e. no Themes in /Extra folder?
Just curious =P.

For an example of a system without an /Extra/Themes folder:
• loading the compiled stage 2 boot file with embedded theme will show the GUI using the embedded theme.
• loading the compiled stage 2 boot file without embedded theme will show the command line, text screen.

Once any set of theme files are added to /Extra/Themes/Default:
• loading the compiled stage 2 boot file with embedded theme will show the GUI using the /Extra/Themes/Default theme.
• loading the compiled stage 2 boot file without embedded theme will show the GUI using the /Extra/Themes/Default theme.

Chameleon RC5 also has support for rollover device images so we are going to show off that feature in an externally loaded default theme which doesn't have to comply with size restrictions. This wasn't sensible with the embedded theme as it takes more files to achieve it. My original plan was to do it with the style of icons we have been working on for the embedded theme, but since I can now create 3D rendered icons, what better way to create a set of theme files and demonstrate the effect :)

As for the colors in the rendered, too neutral for me. As for the rest, well as Azimutz said, probably too early to comment.
Like every theme ever designed, not everybody is going to like it, but that's the beauty of the open architecture of the loader where the user can easily create or use a different theme to suit them. I am going away for a break in the first week of September so I personally would like to have these themes finished by then so at least Zef and the team have two fresh themes to include in the RC5 release. Now it Zef says he likes something that we post then that makes the whole process easier to complete and in the case of the rendered theme if he's happy, then I'm happy. I did open the offer up to you to help with the rendered theme if you want to and that offer is still there  :)

Nevertheless, I wouldn't have a problem with the themes not matching, if you guys were to go that way, but nothing wrong with experimenting =P.
I have no problems with them not matching but it was just an idea for consistency. I did try to create the rendered theme matching the embedded themes colour scheme but i don't think it looked as good as the silvery looking rendered theme. But as always, what I think looks good might look terrible to the next person  :P

Right now I'm trying to improve (I think =P) on the simple Cham outline logo, with no text.
Great.. Since Zef has passed vote on the logo it's good to know now what direction to go in. I look forward to seeing what you present :)

It's getting late for work, I'd better finish up..
I'll be back later.

Regards
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #242 on: August 17, 2010, 11:13:26 PM »
I have been messing around with the menu and come up with something to combine the logo and menu together. It's a bit 'in your face' and forfeits clean design in favour of functionality but it works at both 1024x768 and 1680x1050.  Oh.. And the missing device_cdrom from the previous files I posted is also in there too :)

Here's a preview and below you'll find a complete theme folder for trials

Shall we go with the logo/menu graphic? or stick with a clean empty page with just device icons, and display the menu when the down arrow is pressed?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 11:37:59 PM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #243 on: August 17, 2010, 11:23:53 PM »
And to post where we are on the embedded theme - here's the files for r30.
I have amended the devices so they are sized back at 8K each rather than the 12K each as before and now, the overall folder size shown in the Finder is now 184K compared to the original default theme of 254K.

@Enzo.. I think all files are good now with only the logo in question... Did you manage to fine tune a solid filled Chameleon logo? The attached files has one done but it's just the original one flattened to a single colour.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 11:30:54 PM by Blackosx »

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #244 on: August 17, 2010, 11:41:41 PM »
I have been messing around with the menu and come up with something to combine the logo and menu together. It's a bit 'in your face' and forfeits clean design in favour of functionality but it works at both 1024x768 and 1680x1050.  Oh.. And the missing device_cdrom from the previous files I posted is also in there too :)

Hey Blackosx! :)

Many thanks for the update! It looks pretty awesome! Reducing the device icons to 50% gave me about 10-12k files. I think it can be used as an embedded theme without leds but using a selection arrow or border instead. I'm in love with these icons ;)
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #245 on: August 18, 2010, 12:13:43 AM »
Hi Zef...

Well it's your baby and if that's what you want, then that's what you shall have  ;D

I'll render some smaller device icons directly from Cinema4D to get the best quality and post you a new embedded theme for use.
Shall I leave the device icons sized as the already are for the full rollover theme?

It's a shame though that the main embedded theme Enzo and I worked so hard on has been relegated, therefore, would it be possible to include it in the trunk/artwork/themes folder as an alternative theme?

I'll be back a bit later....

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #246 on: August 18, 2010, 12:31:04 AM »
Well it's your baby and if that's what you want, then that's what you shall have  ;D

I'll render some smaller device icons directly from Cinema4D to get the best quality and post you a new embedded theme for use.
Shall I leave the device icons sized as the already are for the full rollover theme?

It's a shame though that the main embedded theme Enzo and I worked so hard on has been relegated, therefore, would it be possible to include it in the trunk/artwork/themes folder as an alternative theme?

I really appreciate Enzo's and Your hard efforts and I really like the latest embedded set as well, but since you brought here these rendered device icons, I just can't sleep :D I'd like to replace our current themes with the following:

1. Enzo+Blackosx theme
2. Your full featured rendered theme
3. A reduced size (maybe LED-less) rendered theme for embedding ;)
4. Legacy theme
5. Enzo's previously posted large icon theme

What do you think guys? :)
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #247 on: August 18, 2010, 02:01:18 AM »
Those theme selections look wonderful to me Zef and it's nice to know the users will have a fresh set of themes to choose from :)

Here's a revised rendered theme for embedding. Let me know if you need anything changed.
Boot compiles at 319K with this embedded.

EDIT: I have also attached a revised Full theme.

I'm logging off for the night. Be back tomorrow :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 02:14:58 AM by Blackosx »

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #248 on: August 18, 2010, 05:39:35 AM »
Though I am a little disappointed, it was still fun helping in the process. However, to be very honest, I think the newer theme you guys are going with is kind of the other direction of "fresh" look, but the call is made and it is no biggie. =)  If I can chime in and offer any advice I will do so.

As for the new theme selection, I think it's great. Though my Cham2 tribute theme I previewed here is incomplete! If you can give me an idea of the time I got to work with, I can better judge if I'd be able to complete by then (As 2 other themes have captured my creativity right now =P).

As for finishing the logo on the earlier theme, well I did work on it, and I just don't really like any of the mockups. Seeing as it is no longer the embedded theme, perhaps I can ditch the lizard outline? =P

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #249 on: August 18, 2010, 11:47:41 PM »
Hi Zef

I have been looking at tweaking the rendered themes further by having the logo / menu down the right edge of the screen which I think looks great and keeps all the info etc. in one place. But I have discovered that when offsetting the devices_pos_x, it doesn't apply to the timeout screen and the device appears centred. Can you change the code for the default device on the timeout screen to use the devices_pos_x value?

I have attached a preview of the timeout window to show what I mean and also a set of work in progress theme files so you can see for yourself.

@Enzo - Yeah. I know what you mean and yes I guess you can ditch a lizard outline design :)  So shall we put the standard Chameleon logo in to our original Embedded theme? then we can sign it off. :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 11:53:45 PM by Blackosx »

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #250 on: August 19, 2010, 01:28:55 AM »
Hey Blackosx,

Many thanks for the update! The icons are looking very great! :) And sure, will check/fix the code and report back!

Regarding the right side logo, I'm not sure that we should advertise the booter's purpose like this. How about to put a description about chameleon like "Chameleons (family Chamaeleonidae) are a distinctive and highly specialized clade of lizards." (found on Wikipedia). And the more important question: How this tall logo will be rendered onto an 1024x600 or 1280x720 resolution? I think the embedded theme should be the most resolution friendly one. Maybe we can go with something centered stuff as you proposed a few posts earlier.

We're almost there I believe! :)

ricardoq

• Entrant
« Reply #251 on: August 19, 2010, 02:33:27 AM »
Please no to logo on the right! It's really awful!   What is, "advertising"?  Also here?  Come on please. Imagine on my samsung d150 with 1024 x 600, that horrible screen! Oh my....   Please, don't change too much than in the past, is a wrong. 

It's only a theme, too many time and too many problem, the universe turns the same, come on, it's only a theme.

Now it's perfect, don't change anymore.

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #252 on: August 19, 2010, 09:33:58 AM »
How this tall logo will be rendered onto an 1024x600 or 1280x720 resolution? I think the embedded theme should be the most resolution friendly one. Maybe we can go with something centered stuff as you proposed a few posts earlier.
Hi Zef..

You're absolutely right.. I am normally fully aware of how important it is the theme fits all resolutions, I even mentioned it myself a few posts back! so let's drop the right side bar.. It'll teach me to try to tweak things further when I'm tired - though it did highlight the old positioning issue with the device icon on the timeout screen so it wasn't a completely wasted exercise  :P 

As a result I have gone full circle and put an embedded theme package together based on the new icons but with the positioning of elements as Chameleon's original theme.  This will work as before with most resolutions including netbooks which should please ricardoq and many others.

@ricardoq - thanks for your bluntly put wake up call  ;D

Hre's a preview showing theme at 1024x600 resolution and new set of theme files attached: r9
EDIT: I have updated the attached theme folder to r9.1 as I changed the devices_iconspacing to increase the gap between the devices.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 04:39:03 PM by Blackosx »

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #253 on: August 19, 2010, 11:02:16 PM »
Yes! Please fix the positioning issue @ timeout screen! =)

I also came across another issue. I have some icons with some glow, and @ the timeout screen, the glow is extremely obvious. However, in the options screen, you can't even tell there is any glow! Doesn't make sense to me =P.

smith@@

« Reply #254 on: August 19, 2010, 11:30:11 PM »
WOW, i'm back now, and.. i see a new completely new amazing embedded theme. God, that amazing theme, and also the other not embedded with led, fantastic job blackosx;)

This theme for cham is superb ;)