overdue-scratch

Author Topic: Newbie question on applying themes  (Read 3508 times)

M4strDr490n

• Entrant
Newbie question on applying themes
« on: July 01, 2010, 06:51:03 PM »
First of all, let me apologize for my limited knowledge on the subject of OSX as well as if I am asking a question that is answered elsewhere.  I have recently converted my Dell Mini 9 to dual boot OSX 10.6.4 (lots of fun, and time, getting there) and Windows 7.  I know very little about OSX, which will be apparent in my post in a moment.  I should start by clarifying here, that I installed Chameleon v2 using Netbook Installer, so I am not sure exactly what it did to the file structure. 

I've read everything out here on applying themes, and I feel comfortable that I know the mechanics of it now.  The problem is, that I can't see my Extra folder.  I researched how folders are hidden and I downloaded an app (Houdini) to allow me to see my hidden folders... voila, I can see Extra now in Houdini.  Awesome, except when I try to modify the folder attributes (using Houdini) to permanently reveal it in Finder, it says, it's not hidden... well, it may not be "hidden" in the sense that the attribute is set that Houdini is referring to, but I can assure you that it's not visible in my finder Window on my OSX partition, where it is definitely installed. 

I've Googled and search these and other forums, and no luck on figuring out how to make it visible to me in Finder.  Ok, well, I figured I'd get past that later.  I tried to rename a logo file to "_bak" so that I can get back there if I screw it up, in the default theme folder, and it told me I don't have permission to do so.  Now I'm really stuck, since I can't see anything to change any permissions. 

Any help that folks could offer on how to make my Extra, "Not Hidden" folder, actually visible in finder, as well as have the files contained there-in updatable by me, would be very appreciated.

Thank you, M4strDr490n
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 11:53:31 PM by Blackosx »
Dell Mini 9 - Onyx | 2gb RAM | 32GB SuperTalent SSD (FDL) | BT & Webcam | Win7 Ult. & Mac OSX 10.6.4 via Chameleon v2

M4strDr490n

• Entrant
Re: Newbie question on applying themes
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 08:56:54 PM »
Well, part of the problem is solved now, but I still need help making the folder visible.  I thought back to my Unix days with CHMOD, and came up with - "sudo chmod -R 777 Extra" from the file system root directory.  That made it so that I could change the files in that directory, but the directory itself is still not visible to me still... a small win though  :)

With this at least I can use Houdini to launch Finder into the Extra folder and play with applying my themes...
Dell Mini 9 - Onyx | 2gb RAM | 32GB SuperTalent SSD (FDL) | BT & Webcam | Win7 Ult. & Mac OSX 10.6.4 via Chameleon v2

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
Re: Newbie question on applying themes
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 02:37:53 PM »
Hi M4strDr490n

I haven't used the Netbook installer so I'm not entirely sure where it installs the /Extra folder but well done for finding it.

For hiding files and folders from the OS X Finder the only mechanism I know of is the chflags terminal command. But they will still be visible from within the Terminal.

You have found the chmod command for changing the permissions of a file/folder, and you might also find useful the chown command to change the owner of a file/folder.
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB