Author Topic: Specific device icon image for hd(x,y)  (Read 5678 times)

generalmilk

• Entrant
Specific device icon image for hd(x,y)
« on: June 25, 2010, 05:50:44 PM »
I have 3 os installed in my system, winxp, sl and win7. My chameleon bootloader displays them well. However, it chooses device image according to partition type. In this case, both my winxp and win7 partitions show the same device icon. In some themes (for example iPhone4, really cool!!), the device icons are all shown as "windows 7". I'd like to have a winxp icon and win7 icon shown differently.

Despite of waiting for this feature, I'd like to know if there are other workarounds. I have some ideas as follow:
1. Change device type of xp partition at MBR for 07(NTFS) to 0B(FAT32), to deceive the bootloader. Then change device_fat32.png to whatever I like.
However this failed. It seems chameleon doesn't recognize the FAT32 by 0B in mbr. I also tried format a fat32 in VMware, it also weren't shown in bootloader.
2. Format xp partition to fat32. It's painful, and may also fail.
3. Change the device_nfts.png to half win7 and half winxp. Well, if all failed, I will try this.

Any other opinions?

Cheers!

robross0606

• Entrant
Re: Specific device icon image for hd(x,y)
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 04:31:35 PM »
+1 on this.  The current design of strictly using partition type is already showing strain by how many different icons they have for flavors of OSX (Snow Leapard, Lion, Mountain Lion, etc.).  This is perhaps an okay design as default behavior, but we should be allowed to customize theme images used for specific drives.  I have both Ubuntu and SteamOS in my menu and have created a custom SteamOS icon for Mavs.  Unfortunately, I can't use it right now.   :-\