Author Topic: Press-to-OS feature [help]  (Read 5424 times)

alol

• Entrant
Press-to-OS feature [help]
« on: July 14, 2010, 04:05:48 PM »
Excuse me if I'm starting a duplicit topic, but I did not find any similiar. :)

Is there any guide or any specs how is chameleon made ? What languages are required to know to edit it ?
To be exact I'm trying to find a way how to add to chameleon a "press-to-os" feature.

For example in com.apple.Boot.plist would be this:
Code: [Select]
<key>Bootable Keys</key>
<string>O W L</string>
<key>Bootable Partitions<key>
<string>hd(0,2) hd(0,1) hd(0,3)</string>

Where "Bootable Keys" represents the 3 keys, which pressed (one or the other (not together :D) ) in chameleon's loading process would instruct it to go and quietly boot that or other "Bootlable Partition"/OS.

I've managed to find (in the source codes) the F8 functionality but I'm not sure how to "copy" it. See there is "key =0x4200" which (probably :) ) represents the F8 key, but what (HEX) num represents the W,O,L ?

Could anyone help me with this ? Basicly I do have some knowledge of c++, c, objective c/++ and other stuff but this is a little bit complex for me.

Best Regards SkrabakL

alol

• Entrant
Re: Press-to-OS feature [help]
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 02:40:35 PM »
bump

justvisiting1

• Entrant
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 05:56:02 PM »
they seem to be bit reversed, like widows does with device driver codes. its usually 0x0042 or 0x42 that is F8. If we follow that logic 0x1100 is W, 0x1800 is O and 0x2600 is L.

Look at the supported keys list in the linux driver printed here. Strangely I couldn't find another good example, but then i didn't look much, oh and PM me if your press to OS feature works ;)

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1059755.html

Enzo

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 04:55:30 AM »
This would be a great feature!

alol

• Entrant
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 08:27:22 AM »
I'm sorry but I have to give up on this for the lack of free time.
But I'm pretty sure if somehow you like this idea and you would help me to submit it higher to real developer maybe we will se feature like this in next revision or release

valv

• VoodooLabs
    • The AnVAL Forum (fr)
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 06:37:12 PM »
I like the idea. one thing I don't understand though: in case you 'd have two partitions with same os flavor, how would it do to choose the one or the other?

alol

• Entrant
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 07:55:50 PM »
How I've thought  was that you would have in apple.com.boot.plist another key just like this one:
Code: [Select]
<key>OSKeys</key>
<string>A:hd(0,1),B:hd(0,2),C:hd(1,1)</string>
So as you might see the pattern is pretty simple
X - is the Key you want to add the press-to-os functionality and then you add : to separate the partition from which it should boot hd(X,Y)

And as there is the Chameleon's bootloader prefpane with the RC5 version I presume it would be even possible to make it pretty userfriendly by using that GUI to choose a disk/os and add a Letter to it.