overdue-scratch

Author Topic: 1 drive, GUID, OS X retail, Win 7, dual boot -- HOW? (solved)  (Read 7352 times)

jbreher

• Observer
(for background see http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,649.15.html - I figure I've drifted far enough astray of the original topic)

So after procuring a general retail 10.6.3 dvd, I encountered no problems in loading OS X via the lifehacker guide -- http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow-leopard-on-your-hackintosh-pc-no-hacking-required (My mobo is the same..). This was on my new clean 1TB HDD. At this point, OS X booted and worked.

I then used Disk Utility to shrink the OS X partition to 500 GB, create a new 500 GB(-) FAT 32 partition in the freed space - OS X still booted and worked.

I then Installed Win 7 Pro 32-bit on the FAT 32 partition (reformatting to NTFS in the process). Windows booted fine. In fact, Windows was the only OS I could boot. I *think* I could still boot OS X from my flash drive I created as part of the lifehacker install process (included Chameleon & Extras for my mobo -- see link above for details).

I found a thread indicating that there is an installer for 'Chameleon 2 RC5_pre8' that was purported magically make dual boot work. I installed it to my USB flash drive - which was rendered useless for booting anything. I could no longer boot OS X from this flash stick.

I tried installing 'Chameleon 2 RC5_pre8' to my HDD - this rendered Windows unbootable. I now had a system that was once again totally dead.

I plugged my iPC drive back into the system -- using this, I created a new 'lifehacker usb install/boot stick'. After unplugging the iPC drive, I can again boot my SL Retail install at will.

Using my Windows install DVD, and <shift>-F10 to get to a command line, I played around with diskpart making various partitions active. However, I still do not have a dual boot system. In fact, without the USB stick as boot device, I cannot even boot OS X.

So with all this framing the situation:

Am I tilting at windmills, or is a dual boot system possible with GUID, OS X retail, Win 7, on a single HDD?

If this is possible, is Chameleon capable of booting either at will, or do I need yet another utility?

There seems to be some magic incantation regarding which partition is active upon the install of each item. However, I have yet to see a cogent explanation of what these restrictions are. Can anyone point me to an explanation of what the dependencies upon active flag actually are?

« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 01:13:46 AM by jbreher »
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P / Intel Celeron Dual Core E1400 2.0 GHz / 800 MHz FSB / ASUS EN8400GS Silent/HTP/512M PCIe x16
4GiB (2x2) G.Skill DDR2-10666, PC2-8500, 2048MB x 2, CL-5-5-5-15 2.0~2.1V DRAM / 750 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA HDD ST3750330AS / hp dvd1170i SATA DL DVD
EFI (empty) / iPC 10.5.6 / Win 7 pro x64
... oh yeah, and an i7 17" MBP

jbreher

• Observer
Re: 1 drive, GUID, OS X retail, Win 7, dual boot -- HOW?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 12:39:25 PM »
Well, looks like I nailed it -- finally.

The key is that the Win 7 install process will muck with the various boot? pieces, if it is not given a partition with the active flag already set, to install itself upon. I guess that is the indication it uses not to destroy the MBR and Boot Partition Record.

In my method, I partitioned a fresh disk with 2 partitions, GUID -
  HFS+ Case Sensitive Journaled
  FAT32

I then installed OS X retail to the HFS partition, and installed Chameleon as per lifehacker's guide - this gave me a booting OS X install.

I then booted the Win 7 install DVD - but before I installed, I used diskpart to reformat the FAT32 to NTFS, and set the active flag on it.

After installing Win 7, Win 7 was the only OS I could boot from HDD. However, the OS X install USB Key could boot either.

I then reinstalled chameleon's boot0 to sector 0 - now HDD booted Win, but from boot0 instead of Win MBR IPL.

I then again booted the Win 7 install DVD, and used diskpart to set the HFS partition active.

At this point, I can boot either OS from DVD.

Let me know if you'd like a more detailed blow-by-blow - I kept copious notes on the process.

Next up - figure out themes. Just because.
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P / Intel Celeron Dual Core E1400 2.0 GHz / 800 MHz FSB / ASUS EN8400GS Silent/HTP/512M PCIe x16
4GiB (2x2) G.Skill DDR2-10666, PC2-8500, 2048MB x 2, CL-5-5-5-15 2.0~2.1V DRAM / 750 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 SATA HDD ST3750330AS / hp dvd1170i SATA DL DVD

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
Re: 1 drive, GUID, OS X retail, Win 7, dual boot -- HOW? (solved)
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 11:26:13 AM »
Hi jbreher

Well done for figuring out a retail install for your machine. You will now know exactly what files have been added and where, to achieve a running retail system :)

And for your dual boot system:
In my method, I partitioned a fresh disk with 2 partitions, GUID -
  HFS+ Case Sensitive Journaled
  FAT32
That's how I do it.

I then installed OS X retail to the HFS partition, and installed Chameleon as per lifehacker's guide - this gave me a booting OS X install.

I then booted the Win 7 install DVD - but before I installed, I used diskpart to reformat the FAT32 to NTFS, and set the active flag on it.
I also then install OS X, followed by Chameleon, then Windows 7 as you have but without using diskpart or anything.

After installing Win 7, Win 7 was the only OS I could boot from HDD. However, the OS X install USB Key could boot either.
That's correct, as Windows will have written to the MBR of the HDD and overwritten Chameleon's boot0 code.

I then reinstalled chameleon's boot0 to sector 0 - now HDD booted Win, but from boot0 instead of Win MBR IPL.
Here you could have used Chameleon's fdisk440 to write the newer boot0hfs to the MBR of the HDD. This way, you will only write to the first 440 bytes of the MBR, leaving the Windows code untouched. After that you can reboot your system and Chameleon will return to life and successfully boot either OS.

I then again booted the Win 7 install DVD, and used diskpart to set the HFS partition active.
When installing Windows7 on to a secondary partition, the installer won't create the system reserved partition and will set the Windows partition active. The beauty of using boot0hfs is you can leave Windows the active partition which gives the added bonus of correct sleep and hibernation functionality.

But either way, you have done it. So well done and now you can now enjoy you dual boot machine :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 04:11:13 PM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

jbreher

• Observer
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 03:31:59 AM »
Here you could have used Chameleon's fdisk440 to write the newer boot0hfs to the MBR of the HDD. This way, you will only write to the first 440 bytes of the MBR, leaving the Windows code untouched. After that you can reboot your system and Chameleon will return to life and successfully boot either OS.

I have a sneaking  suspicion that what fdisk440 actually does is install Chameleon's IPL, then set the partition that contains Chameleon's boot1 in its PBR as the active partition. As such, I think the two processes are equivalent.

I started another thread http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,1506.0.html on my remaining issues.

osxfr33k

• Observer
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 08:32:01 AM »
"HFS+ Case Sensitive Journaled"   is the only part that I am not sure about.  Does it have to be Case Sensitive and is this what I would choose if I were to install Linux instead of WIn7?

I would still create EXT4 file system on the GPT partition so that would override the HFS+ Journaled Case Sensitive File system right?

jbreher

• Observer
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 02:35:14 AM »
I have a sneaking  suspicion that what fdisk440 actually does is install Chameleon's IPL, then set the partition that contains Chameleon's boot1 in its PBR as the active partition. As such, I think the two processes are equivalent.

After further reading, I think I need to retract this statement. Perhaps someone may chime in on the veracity of this new supposition of mine:

1) fdisk440 can be coerced to write only the IPL area of the MBR -- the first 440B of the first sector.

2) The standard boot0 looks for an active partition first (in partition table order). It loads and executes the PBR in the first sector of the first active partition it finds.  If it finds no active partition, it searches in partition order for the first HFS partition, and loads and executes its PBR.

3) The boot0hfs is like the standard boot0, except it searches first for an HFS partition before searching for an active partition.

That sound 'bout right?

edit: spelling

zef

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 09:42:30 PM »
Yes, yes and YES :)
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | i5-2500k | 16GB RAM | GTX560 | Keyboard | Mouse | Devilsound DAC