overdue-scratch

Author Topic: booting snowleopard install from usb drive  (Read 2742 times)

terramir

• Observer
booting snowleopard install from usb drive
« on: July 20, 2010, 03:24:51 PM »
Hi. I got a wierd issue maybe I'm missing something here,
If I boot a certain version of chameleon that is on a usb drive (it's an image file you can clone to a usb flash drive), I can boot my ccc copy of snowleopard fine from a usb drive but if I use the newest version of nbi and install in to the usb drive I get stuck and I can see it trying to load from my main HD inside my netbook and gets stuck. So is there a special setting I need to boot the whole thing from the usb drive?
The version information chameleon v2.0-rc3-nbi r (is the one from the netbook installer)
And the usb key which includes dellEFI is Chameleon 2.0 r431. which one is newer and which modification melkort did might have made it impossible to boot from a usb HD.
terramir
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 10:08:00 PM by terramir »

terramir

• Observer
Re: booting snowleopard install from usb drive
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 12:42:26 AM »
okies it gets even stranger I tried installing the newest chameleon on the usb drive and installed ok but it still gets stuck during boot. but it still boots from the chameleon 2.0 r431 seperate usb drive, I'm gonna run some more tests but I thought it might have been the version being modded from the NBI but still no dice. BTW the usb boot key is from this image with a dellefi 1.2a5 on it maybe I need dell efi to boot from usb :S does anyone have some enlightening comments.
here's the link for the image that works.
http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/general-mac-os-x-discussion/6979-working-usb-boot-disk-chameleon.htmlso maybe you need some sort of different efi to boot from usb does someone here know where I can get the newest efi image compatible with 10.6.4 so I can try the upgrade to 10.6.4 without messing up my internal hd first. I would like to try to get everything together first the right way before I upgrade the main hd. I need to do this so I can install xcode. I want to learn how to code in mac OSX and ipad/pod.
help pl0x
terramir