VoodooPower > General Discussion

User's Guide?

(1/1)

Kal:
As far as I can tell from the Google Code site, superhai.com, and voodooprojects.org, there is no user's guide, and insufficient explanatory notes.

Here are two questions that need to be answered:

* How does one install the kernel extension into /System/Library/Extensions/? Just drag-and-dropping it in Finder is (usually) not enough. Nobody said anything about changing ownership and permissions, and removing the com.apple.quarantine extended attribute.
* Is any user control possible once the kernel extension is properly installed? xnu-speedstep is an older kernel extension project with functions similar to VoodooPower. It documents well the user control that can be achieved through the sysctl command-line utility, however little control there actually was. The VoodooPower kext project, in contrast, only mentions that explicit throttling is not possible. The xnu-speedstep kext also does not allow explicit throttling if you ask me; nevertheless they documented the very little bit of control achieved through sysctl.

Lord Anubis:
To answer your first question.

Every kext installed should undergo the following commands as administrator or root

How to Install a Kext in General.

( KextName.kext is your kext that you wan to install )

if you want to replace an existing kext, this command will rename the kext and back it up.
cd to your /S/L/E

--- Code: ---cd /System/Library/Extensions
mv KextName.kext KextName.old
--- End code ---

cd to your kext witch you want to install

--- Code: ---cd /path/to/new/kext
cp -R KextName.kext /System/Library/Extensions
--- End code ---

fix permissions (the root/system is using this kext, not you as user ), and use -R option because the kext is a bundle and got things inside that should be corrected as well.

--- Code: ---cd /System/Library/Extensions
chmod -R 755 KextName.kext
chown -R 0:0 KextName.kext 
--- End code ---
or chown -R root:wheel KextName.kext

( Edited to make it more clear )
Depending on your os version, you need to search and remove the kext cache. You can check which one exists.
Search inside /System/Library/ or inside /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/ for Extensions.mkext.

Use to remove the kext cache;

--- Code: ---rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
--- End code ---
or with 10.6

--- Code: ---rm /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext
--- End code ---

Be sure to be an administrator or root.

HTH

Kal:
Thank you, Lord Anubis, for clearing things up.  :)

However...

--- Quote from: Lord Anubis on July 27, 2010, 07:43:11 PM ---depending on your os version, You can check which one exists, use

--- End code ---
or with 10.6

--- Code: ---rm /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext
--- End code ---

--- End quote ---

The part in bold looks a bit strange to me. Is there a part of the sentence missing? From the looks of it, the commands serve to clean up Mac OS X's kext cache.

By the way, here are two more questions that I would like to bring up:

* What is the difference between the Mini and the ACPI versions? Superhai only says "use the one that works", but it begs the question: "how does the user know whether it works or not?" (The next point touches on this.)
* How does VoodooPower improve power management, really? A high level description of the algorithm/logic used in the kext would be nice. If the user doesn't even have a high level understanding of the working mechanism, how is he supposed to know if the kext is working correctly?
Cheers.

Lord Anubis:

--- Quote from: Kal on July 28, 2010, 03:17:50 PM ---Thank you, Lord Anubis, for clearing things up.  :)

However...

--- Quote from: Lord Anubis on July 27, 2010, 07:43:11 PM ---depending on your os version, You can check which one exists, use

--- End code ---
or with 10.6

--- End code ---

--- End quote ---

The part in bold looks a bit strange to me. Is there a part of the sentence missing? From the looks of it, the commands serve to clean up Mac OS X's kext cache.

--- End quote ---

Yes, your right, it reads strange and there should indeed a sentence be there.
Actualy, I did meant to write.

You can check which one exists.
Use

--- End code ---
or with 10.6

--- End code ---
to remove the old kext cache.

But even that isn't very clear.

So I did update my former post.
Thanks for the correction.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version