Chameleon > Patches

Revisit Chameleon's package builder

(1/62) > >>

zef:
Hola People!

I started this topic to discuss the ongoing issues regarding the old-timer "make pkg" function. I saw iFabio sent updated language translations @IM, thanks Blackosx for commiting those changes to trunk. This part of the project is a grey area, but considering the amount of quality changes made for the booter recently, I think the pkg building also needs bandages, polishment and painkillers.

These are the four topics what i was thinking of (feel free to extend/modify):

- Revisit/update the tools what the resulting pkg contains, like fdisk440, etc (rals2007 noticed that).
- Revisit/update the bundled extensions. For example using the PIIXATA injector gives me a KP under vmware under Snow Leopard, but the VMware supplied LegacyPIIXATA injector doesn't. Then how about adding Mozo's FakeSMC.kext?
- Make the package 10.5/10.6 compatible. We could use Chameleon's ability to throw all kexts under /Extra/10.x/Extensions making the boot partition more universal.
- Review the inner workings and adjust/fix if needed - i have no doubt about that we need ;)

Thanks for reading!

Bye,
zef

PS: Waiting for reply :)

Blackosx:
Just some quick thoughts here, but yeah.. the fdisk440 needs adding.
I wonder if it should write boot0 or boot0hfs as standard?

For installing extensions... There are so many variations of who needs what that you can't possibly cover all the bases.. I would vote on maybe only adding the FakeSMC.kext. And many people still use 10.5 so that would need to be considered.

But a new package installer would definitely be a major plus for many out there.

Terc:
This sounds like a good thing to look at.  Maybe this is for another thread, but can anyone explain when graphicsenabler isn't enabled by default (requiring the user to add a string in the boot.plist to disable it instead? I think it makes sense to enable if possible, unless the user doesn't want to for some reason (multiple graphics cards?).

Anyway, I think that focusing on making things as simple as possible for end users is a good goal for the installer.

Oh, and one for idea.  What about adding the readme/documentation link in the Extra folder?  Also, possibly installing Lizard.app as an option might be nice.

Adding legacy kexts still makes sense, and fakesmc as well.  But I think for the remaining kexts, if we can get them booting, that's probably where things should stop.

Lord Anubis:

--- Quote from: Blackosx on July 26, 2010, 01:27:00 PM ---For installing extensions... There are so many variations of who needs what that you can't possibly cover all the bases.

But a new package installer would definitely be a major plus for many out there.

--- End quote ---

I hope the extensions will be well documented inside the installer when selected.
Also I hope that there will be a connection with the Cartri Bios for many GB mobo owners out there.
F.e when CartriBios selected it installs only the needed files etc.

And a kind of repair action when people damage their bootsectors etc

Kabyl:

--- Quote from: Lord Anubis on July 27, 2010, 02:04:53 PM ---Also I hope that there will be a connection with the Cartri Bios for many GB mobo owners out there.
F.e when CartriBios selected it installs only the needed files etc.

--- End quote ---
I'm not sure I understand what you mean (?)

--- Quote ---And a kind of repair action when people damage their bootsectors etc

--- End quote ---
There is nothing to repair, but reinstall the bootsector.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version