Author Topic: Revisit Chameleon's package builder  (Read 143660 times)

scrax

Re: Revisit Chameleon's package builder
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2010, 11:02:12 PM »
Hi Scrax & iFabio

It's great to see you haven't rested on this and are still continuing your development :) and well done with resurrecting the official installer, good job scrax. I'll have to find some time soon to try out your latest build - is it the Chameleon_2.0_RC5_r530.pkg.zip which you posted at the Insanely thread?
Yes I'm making the english translation and then i'll post it here also.
Also, have any of the Voodoo team tried your latest build? and if so what are their thoughts on it?
I don't know but I'm wery interested in hear an opinion and suggestionn from them...
Maybe can be opened a branch for just the installer? I've never used svn before my chameleon experience but I learn quick :)
EDIT: I've just tried testing by running the r516 package posted above on my G5 to install Chameleon to a USB stick but it stops with an Alert: Chameleon cannot be installed on this computer. I have just checked and seen this was in the original RC1 r431 installer too. So I guess this is a fail-safe to stop installation on Real Macs... Does that happen on real Intel Macs too?
I'm not sure it works but yes it checks if there is AppleSMC

function installCheckScript()
   {   
      var obj = system.ioregistry.matchingClass("AppleSMC");
      if (obj) {
         system.log('installCheckScript: Found AppleSMC');
         my.result.message = system.localizedStringWithFormat('Intel_Mac_message');
         my.result.type = 'Fatal';
         return false;
      }
      system.log('installCheckScript: Passed.');
      return false;
   }

I don't know if we can make something to permit the install on external disk but not on system disk' but it colb be useful

scrax

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2010, 03:03:50 AM »
I've finished to add the new options to the english localizable.string attached as a base for translations
also attached the new installer with corrected revision number

i've attached also my package folder
yellow are file or folder modified by me
green ones are modified by iFabio
red ones are added by me
orange one are added by iFabio

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 03:28:19 AM by scrax »

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2010, 08:24:55 AM »
Hi iFabio
The official installer still a perfect choice because it implement some caracteristic that I can't (no idea how...) implement in the PackageMaker... like javascript for control the choice and localization language...
I haven't looked at the sources myself, but if you guys are happy building upon the existing code then that must be a good thing. However, I know the original installer was pulled for some reason but I don't know exactly why. If there was a bug in it, would that mean that bug would still be in there now? Maybe we need confirmation on this?

For now a lot of user contribute localizating some language... and until now we just need to fix or rewrite some scripts...
scrax do a exellent job with that!
You have both done well with this and the extra localizations will make the installer very friendly, especially when all the user selectable options have been translated too. And I am sure the scripts will develop in time as and when user feedback comes in.
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2010, 08:25:44 AM »
I've finished to add the new options to the english localizable.string attached as a base for translations
Thanks scrax., I'll have a look now and do some quick tests.

EDIT: These are just some general things that I have thought of while testing (so far):

• Wow there's a lot of options now which is great but it might look a bit confusing to new comers?
• If the user decides to add a com.apple.Boot.plist, can it automatically add:
   <key>GraphicsMode</key>
   <string>1024x768x32</string>
I say this because the booter automatically defaults to 1024x768 and if the new user wants to change it then it will be easier if they can already see where to do that. ?

• Selecting the new FakeSMC.kext installs in to /Extra/Extensions, but doesn't it really need to be in /S/L/E for complete functionality? I don't know how this can be done with the installer as if choosing to install Chameleon to EFI, USB or a separate partition then how will it know where /S/L/E is or even which OS X installation to write it to if more than one exists?
Also the FakeSMC.kext in the installer contains all the extra developed kexts which some users won't need...
It's going to be difficult to get this one nailed exactly..

• Selecting the 'Chameleon EFI FAT' option installs chameleon to EFI partition and creates an /Extra and Extra/Extensions folder but these are empty?  IInstead, I get an /Extra folder containing all the selected files on the partition that I selected in the installer to designate the drive I wanted (as I can't choose an EFI partition as it's not mounted at that time).

• The EFI Mounter script only works with hfs formatted EFI partitions and not FAT32. For mounting FAT32 formatted EFI partition I use the following:
Code: [Select]
mount_msdos /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/EFIwhere as the EFI Mounter script only uses
mount_hfs /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/EFI
I've got to stop and leave for work now, but I'll carry on with more testing on the weekend.. :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 01:04:38 PM by Blackosx »
10.10.5 / 10.11 GM1 | Asus Maximum IV Gene-Z | i7-2600 3.40GHz | 4GB | Radeon 5770 1GB

scrax

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2010, 02:13:03 PM »
Thanks scrax., I'll have a look now and do some quick tests.

EDIT: These are just some general things that I have thought of while testing (so far):

• Wow there's a lot of options now which is great but it might look a bit confusing to new comers?
I think we can make two options folder, one "basic" and one "advanced" or "expert" ?
• If the user decides to add
 com.apple.Boot.plist, can it automatically add:
   <key>GraphicsMode</key>
I say this because the booter automatically defaults to 1024x768 and if the new user wants to change it then it will be easier if they can already see where to do that. ?
I didn't add this ptions because we need to add an options for every size what we want to use but with a sub menu maybe we can do it
• Selecting the new FakeSMC.kext installs in to /Extra/Extensions, but doesn't it really need to be in /S/L/E for complete functionality? I don't know how this can be done with the installer as if choosing to install Chameleon to EFI, USB or a separate partition then how will it know where /S/L/E is or even which OS X installation to write it to if more than one exists?
Also the FakeSMC.kext in the installer contains all the extra developed kexts which some users won't need...
It's going to be difficult to get this one nailed exactly..
FakeSMC should work from /extra7extensions because it's without plugins. I think that it's better to have it in /E/E because the installer could be used to make a usb booter on a non sistem volume
• Selecting the 'Chameleon EFI FAT' option installs chameleon to EFI partition and creates an /Extra and Extra/Extensions folder but these are empty?  IInstead, I get an /Extra folder containing all the selected files on the partition that I selected in the installer to designate the drive I wanted (as I can't choose an EFI partition as it's not mounted at that time).
There is something wrong in the script i'll check this, thanks
• The EFI Mounter script only works with hfs formatted EFI partitions and not FAT32. For mounting FAT32 formatted EFI partition I use the following:
mount_msdos /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/EFIwhere as the EFI Mounter script only uses
mount_hfs /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/EFI
It's something that an user on insanely has suggested to add. I'll try to add the fat support if I can.

thank's for your suggestion and reports Blackosx, I really appreciate it. :)

ErmaC

• Resident
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2010, 02:39:01 PM »
• If the user decides to add
 com.apple.Boot.plist, can it automatically add:
   <key>GraphicsMode</key>
I didn't add this options because we need to add an options for every size what we want to use but with a sub menu maybe we can do it

I do some changes on that parts... look like the same options present in my package (build with packagemaker) with this choaice options...

later I post this change.

Fabio
P6T Deluxe v1 i7 940 Quadro Fx 5600
P6T SE i7 920 GeForce GT 240

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2010, 03:21:22 PM »
thank's for your suggestion and reports Blackosx, I really appreciate it. :)
No problem. I am happy to give feedback if it helps you out. I think you are doing a grand job here :)

Maybe can be opened a branch for just the installer? I've never used svn before my chameleon experience but I learn quick :)
Yeah. I think maybe a new project for the package installer under the main forge projects?
Zef/Kabyl..  Can this be done? Scrax and iFabio are doing a good job with this but I feel we need to help give them a definite direction to aim for.

I think we can make two options folder, one "basic" and one "advanced" or "expert" ?
If it's possible to do that it would help. Maybe "simple" and "advanced", with the simple one just installing the stage 0, 1 and 2 files like Dr. Hurt's old installers? The your mighty list of options can be under the advanced option?

I didn't add this ptions because we need to add an options for every size what we want to use but with a sub menu maybe we can do it
Okay.. I see iFabio has ideas for that! Nice one Fabio :)

FakeSMC should work from /extra7extensions because it's without plugins. I think that it's better to have it in /E/E because the installer could be used to make a usb booter on a non sistem volume
Yeah. I think the new FakeSMC.kext does work from /E/E but the plugins don't. And the kext does contain the plugins..

There is something wrong in the script i'll check this, thanks
Cool... and I'll check it again myself this weekend to make sure I haven't made a mistake.

It's something that an user on insanely has suggested to add. I'll try to add the fat support if I can.
Okay.. If you can edit it then great. Otherwise I think it should be renamed to something like hfs_EFI_Mounter.

Keep up the good work  ;D

scrax

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2010, 03:57:10 PM »
Ops, I forgot to remove the plugins from fakeSMC so.  :-[
I'll make the adjustment for the options and rename EFI mounter (for now).

scrax

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2010, 03:57:54 PM »

later I post this change.

Fabio

good! great

ErmaC

• Resident
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2010, 04:19:35 AM »
Hi
So that is a "Ibrid" from the official and the package I build with packagemaker.

this is build with the buildpkg script.

-boot0 (use de script from el coniglio) is ok work too on USB device
-boot0hfs (use script from el coniglio) is ok
-EFI (original untouch from official file.. need fixes) no test but I think no
-FAT (original untouch from official file.. need fixes) no test but i think no

- Language --> only "English" (need more detailed and accurate description)
-Utility --> PrefPanel (copied in Targetvolume /Library/PreferencePanes) tested is ok
-Utility --> bdmesg (copied in TargetVolume/Extra/Util) tested is ok

Themes (no changes for now.. I think add a option to autoset a selected them as default) just "delete some for save space"
Kext (delete some to save space) I think to add a specific options for FakeSMC and his plugin... plus for set the info.plist too

Option fo c.a.B.p here I do the major changes... for each option (only 3 for now... more coming)
 is possible select Yes - no or "don't touch", and similar for Graphics Mode and some basics 4 options
I test that options and work

Let me know if can be useful ;)

Fabio
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 04:37:51 AM by iFabio »

scrax

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2010, 07:34:21 AM »
Here the correction to the EFI problems,
Added backup of old previous /Extra in standard install
added some resolution options
renamed hfs EFI mounter

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2010, 09:36:47 AM »
Well done iFabio and Scrax, I like the revised options in both posted installers.

As there is so much to test on these installers that I am only concentrating on installing to a FAT32 formatted EFI partition for now and I will test further once we have success here.

@Scrax - I have tested installing to the EFI FAT partition and the script is almost there now, but I still have a couple of issues. To make it easier for me to show you what happens, I have put together and attached a PDF report using your installer to show my install process.

Also, referring to Kabyl's earlier post, the installer adds the 'Configuration' folder in to /Extra which was not wanted. Can you maybe add it outside /Extra ?

@iFabio - I have done the same for you installer too.

Conclusion: Both package installers fail to correctly install to FAT32 formatted EFI.. Though we're getting closer.. Keep up the good work guys :)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 10:03:31 AM by Blackosx »

ErmaC

• Resident
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2010, 12:37:34 PM »
Hi scrax here the package with the "subfolder" for the c.a.B.p
I add some more option (missed description.. and title) Maybe you can recreate the cicle for that...

I add "comment" in the script just for undestand... better the start and the end of each package.

Fabio

Blackosx

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2010, 03:30:17 PM »
Further testing.. this time installing to HFS+ formatted EFI partition.

Scrax's installer = Success :)  although files are still installed to the selected partition AND the EFI partition.
Also, I selected only to install FakeSMC.kext in to /E/E which I got but and I also got AHCIPortInjector.kext?

iFabio's installer = Failed.

PDF Reports attached
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 03:52:01 PM by Blackosx »

scrax

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2010, 05:29:06 PM »
the problem with the /Extra/c.a.B.p for the resolution is because I forgot to correct the scripts' now I'll do it.

The other file in the selected volume are correct if it is a system volume
Library/Receipts are file created by the installer in the destination volume
/usr/sbin/ is the default path for command line executable (so we can use bdmesg and fdisk440 from terminal)
standalone/i386 is a folder made by the original installer pkgbuild with the binaries from chameleon compilation (I don't know why it was placed here but I chose to don't touch it)

Attached the corrected installer for the resolutions wrong positions, for EFI fat I need to check it better
Also PrefPanel could be easy to install it instead then having it in /Extra/Configuration
But I have no idea where to put hfs+ EFI mounter or the example smbios

« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 05:37:28 PM by scrax »